iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a tracked skidder

Started by sprucebunny, March 23, 2005, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Hey...that's neat, UNCLEBUCK ;D

Did you hand peel them or do you have a power tool of some sort ?

I'm gonna make some of those. My favorite dog... not my own... is scared of stuff and always looking for things to hide in and under. He could have one of those indoors and the roof could be flat and a table !!!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

UNCLEBUCK

:D  Yeah I just peel them by hand with a sharp old sye blade , I still dont know how to spell sye ,psye ? sigh ?  :D   I can fill a pickup box with these and peel in the spring when things start melting. Just thought another idea wouldnt hurt and its a fun project , could even go 2 story with dog on 1st floor and cat on 2nd floor . If I had a machine like that I would be afraid to get a scratch on it .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I cant help but look at your cool machine and if I had small logs to haul maybe a removeable stake bed like a pickup wouldnt do the trick because smaller logs can be pivoted or tumbled on or slid on and 4 feet could hang off the back end once in awhile. Just a thought.  :P

UNCLEBUCK

sprucebunny how is your project coming along ? I am curious to see what you end up with on the back of your cool machine . I see the weather channel shows heavy rain and snow out your way but I suppose you can pull through anything with that . Probably got wipers and heated seat and steering wheel too ?  Its 71 degrees in minnesota tomorrow "monday" .  :P

sprucebunny

hey, UNCLEBUCK....yah...we had some rain and a little flooding...normal spring stuff. Ground is too soft to mess around in the woods right now ...probably can't work out there for a few weeks but there has been some progress with the cat.
It isn't all that shiny and wonderful being that it's 30 years old and it definately doesn't have heated seats or even a steering wheel. ;D  It rides rough on packed trails and is noisy. At least it's finally running good : When I got it, it had the wrong spark plugs in it and the choke was bent inside and not working right.Purrs like a kitten now. :D
Here's the interior:

A very nice friend visited this weekend and we ( well... mostly he ) got a trailer hitch welded on and also some brackets to mount the winch over the trailer hitch. This picture shows the winch. The A frame is sitting on the rails and the whole winch, fairlead and the plate they are mounted on can be bolted in front of the frame where the hydraulic hose ends are laying. Still some drilling to be done to get that together.

Just had to see how it would do towing a trailer ;D

Don't know how much of a load it will haul but the cat needs new drive sprockets and if it doesn't do well towing the loaded trailer because of lack of power I could get slightly smaller sprockets. If it doesn't do well because of weight, I have an off road trailer thats lots smaller and dumps.

rebocardo

How about a headache rack of 1 x 1.5 x 12 guage protecting the back of the cab and extending out (angled backwards in case you snag something)  a few inches beyond the cab so a stray hook or broken cable does not come through the back of the cab windows, cab, or side windows and kills you?

How about a second attachment point for a hook on both sides of the vehicle towards the middle of the truck so you can double pull from the back with a snatch block and side or even front pull to get the vehicle out of a stuck situation?

UNCLEBUCK

sprucebunny youre coming along great there , looks like beautiful country out there , I wouldnt have the patience to get a winch on there like you did . Looks like a hoot to drive ,kind of like a dozer . Well thanks for the pics and dont hit a moose with that thing . Good Luck Pullin !

isawlogs

I'm happy to see that it's working fine ... ;) ;D ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

For those obsessed with track vehicals, I have guy in Elizabeth Pa. with two 1960's Army track vehicals that were used as "platforms"  for small artillery rockets. They have 4 clyinder Ford engines. They are geared a little high. They really go fast and the tracks are padded for road us but when he toke me for a ride my head was spinning with the possibilities. One has a full lenth roll cage and the other a smaller roll cage. As I recall he wanted $4,000 each. They were quite cool but didn't turn on a dime for woods work. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sprucebunny

Finally have the winch mounted and a workable mock-up of the skid-plate done. I'm going to get an arch to keep the far end of the logs off the ground. 4-5 10" spruce per load is all I'm hoping for and a few poles thrown on the back of the cat. I don't imagine the weight of the logs will exceed the cat's weight rating of about 1000# It won't be very hard to add some weight to the front blade if I need too.

In it's final ( metal ;D ) form, I hope to have the plate and the weight a littler higher and also closer to the body.

There is no emergency brake on this thing and one of the main purposes of this plate is to anchor the cat when using the winch.

sprucebunny

I got a bunch of painted up parts now.

It's not quite as colorful as Jeff's drag saw. ;D
Not-quite-USFS-green and industrial yellow .......

I have a little work to do to the frame of the cat to make it survive the extra forces . And then I'll be ready for the big test :D

Got to look around the neighborhood for a test log. ;D

tnlogger

looking good joan make a video when you get it running  8) 8) 8)
gene

sprucebunny

No video today, Gene :D
But I did get it together and have a little 'yank' at something ;D
I really need to find a smaller log :D This was closest. It's about 40" thick and 16' long ..... I dragged it a couple inches ;D

My contraption seems like it will work. I've had fun and learned alot building it. I will post a pic later in the summer when I find the right size log ::)       

There must be a beat up truck in my yard that I could pick up one end of ....... ???

isawlogs

Joan that is just amazing what you did , It looks really good , congratulation on a job very well done ...  8) 8) 8)
I have logs here that would be the wright size for you to try this thing out ... If a little drive here would not bother you ..  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Boys, that's quite a stick of wood sprucebunny. Was it left after the loggers pulled out of the property? Looks like an even bigger sucker in the back ground. Hook onto that bugger for a drag.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

Kool, 8). Looks like your ready to move some spruce.
Ed K

tnlogger

that is a good looking well built rig you have a right to gloat on this one  8) not not that ya need to cause we'll do it for ya  :)
gene

Norm

Great job Joan, although some polka dots would've really set it off. ;D

sprucebunny

Think I'll save up for stripes, Norm ;D  Thanks every one

I'll be up your way in a few weeks , Marcel, but I don't think there will be room on the trailer for the sawmill and the skidder ;D Thanks, though ;)

Yes , SD. Too big for pulp. Sometimes the logger quarters them but it's alot of work for pulp prices  ::)

I haven't given up on moving that big log yet. Headed out the door for another whack at it ;D

Jeff

Joan, are you getting a sawmill?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Joan;
Everything has its limitations, you might do better pulling that with a log arch or rollers under the log.
Nice job, looks good.

sprucebunny

Yes, Jeff ;D  It matches my Forestry Forum cant hook :D

Thanks, Kevin. I don't really care about moving that big log .... it's just close and was good for tests :D

isawlogs

If you are up my way and are within driving range , you are more then welcom to stop in . Actually I would be piffed  if you did not ...  :)
  As for that mill you mentioned , if you need a hand with it  give me a shout .

Marcel

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Thanks, Marcel. I'll let you know  ;)

No , Jeff. My cant hook is the only other green one ;D

Thank You Sponsors!