iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you identify this indoor wood boiler?

Started by Rinke-Dink, September 19, 2012, 12:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinke-Dink

I recently acquired an indoor wood boiler but it did't have the outer jacket which means I don't have any of the necessary numbers to identify it. I was hoping someone here is seasoned enough to have seen this style of build and can help me with a possible manufacturer, which will get me on my way to getting this fired up. I've been told it's about 8 years old, and it had a crown emblem above the firebox door. It's 24.5" wide, 36" deep and 52.75" tall. I've shown pictures to the president of Royall Furnace, now Ark Alloy, and spoken with a rep from Crown Royal Stoves, both with crown emblems, both stating it's not theirs. I have not heard back from Energy King yet. Any other suggestions on possible companys that may have produced it would be greatly appreciated.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Post up some pics and we'll see what we can do.

I have an indoor wood boiler. Never did have an outer jacket.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rinke-Dink

Thanks for trying to help beenthere. I think I got the pics up.

beenthere

Good on the pics.

Looks like the basic setup as mine.

What are you looking for, to get it running?   Might be like mine, that the Co. is no longer in existence (sorry to say).  But the unit works great. Have had to change out the dampner motor once in 30+ years.

Damper

Aquastat

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rinke-Dink

Because of the insurance hassle I'm anticipating with installing it in my garage, I wanted to be as prepared as I can with manufacturer installation specs, UL listing, etc. Maybe I won't need any of this stuff, I don't know for sure. Building code prolly dictates installation guidelines so that I can handle. I'm just afraid the insurance company is going to be the problem child.

thecfarm

Even with the outer jacket gone I would suspect there is a plate some wheres on the furnace. Mine had a jacket around it too.
By the way do you know about where it came from? I had a Memco and it was made in a small town just 15 minutes from where I use to live. I would doubt many got shipped to far across the US. But one never knows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Where are you at?

My insurance has had no problem with my wood burner in the basement.

Hopefully yours will not.

The mfg's cannot produce them for indoor use (I've been told) unless they are steam-certified. That adds so much cost to them that no one will make them.
They have a relief valve, same as a normal home hot water heater so should be nothing out of the ordinary. Just the do-gooders in the Gov't that have nothing better to do than dream up more regs.
south central Wisconsin

Rinke-Dink

I was told by the second owner, from whom I bought it, that it was from Wisconsin. He seemed to think it was a company named Crown Royal or Royal Crown, something like that. I've found at least 4 boiler companys that have crown emblems. Royall Furnace in Wisconsin... the pres. says it's not his...Crown Boiler in PA...the pres. says they don't make wood boilers, and King Energy is looking at the pics now. A 4th inquiry w/ Crown Royal Stoves distributed out of International Falls, MN said they only started indoor wood burners a couple years ago.
The only place I haven't looked for a plate in on the underside. I don't really want to tip it over though. Seems like an unlikely spot to place info like that.
I'm located just southeast of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Was told an installation in the house (basement) would not be an issue. It's the garage location that raises the flags. Potential of too many flamables.

thecfarm

I guess there is not one on it than. Mine had a relief valve like on a hot water heater.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

There is a relief valve shown in Rinke-Dink's first pic, toward the back.
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

I meant a plate that told what kind of furnace it was. That's what I told him to look for.

Rinke-Dink

The plate on the relief valve has the names "Wolverine Brass" and "Conbraco Industries, Inc.", which turns out to be a valve/fitting company. Still lookin'.
Still waiting to hear back from Energy King.

beenthere

Rinke-dink
There were some boiler units similar to yours that had the outer shell removed, and they were on eBay. (search on eBay for indoor boiler and see if there is something similar, such as one that says Royall Model 6250)
I'm thinking they were surplus units possibly from inventory of a company going out of business, or in receivership.
I do recall some indication that they were selling as "brand-less".  They looked a bit strange with the squared-off plate in the front.
No idea if I can find the source of my recollection, vague as it is.

south central Wisconsin

Rinke-Dink

In all my looking around, the one feature that seems somewhat unique is the 5 taps coming out of the top. Most units I'm seeing have no piping out the top or just 1 for the relief. This is the case with the Royall 6250 also. The previous owner did say that originally there was a black jacket on it...he took it off to take advantage of the radiating heat in his garage. And confirmed it had a crown emblem which was screwed on the front from the back side of the jacket. He also said he bought it off Ebay and traveled over to Algonac, MI, on the east side of the state at the Canadian boarder to pick it up.
ID'ing this thing is alot harder than I thought. None of the current manufacturers that I've checked have any kind of "discontinued"  or older models that they once sold listed on their websites. Thanks again to beenthere and thecfarm for all your attention to my dillema. Still lookin'.

thecfarm

I'm only wondering,does that have a rounded fire box on top? The only 2 boilers that I have been around have are round on top.

beenthere

R-D
For a variety of reasons, you may be getting "a pleading dumb" response from any mfg fessing up to an earlier model of theirs, for just the very questions that you have wanting answers.

I'm not sure what tying some company's name to your boiler is worth to you, if it is operable and basic parts are available ??  From the pics, I don't see an aquastat control for operating the damper?  Also, wonder how well the temp gauge and water pressure gauge works on an elbow like that. I was thinking mine had a probe that extended/dipped into the water and wouldn't have an air trap.

Am not sure why an insurance company would be interested in the mfg. name either.

Being in a garage may be an insurance concern, just from putting things in "general" categories. But some of the flammable things stored and used in a garage may be concern enough.
south central Wisconsin

Rinke-Dink

The ceiling of the firebox has the same angles/shape as the top of the unit itself. Somewhat of a barn roof shape with a flat area on top rather than a peak.
My concern with the manufacturer/model would mostly be the assumed need for evidence that this boiler was commercially manufactured and not homemade like it may look to the novice insurance inspector, without it's shell to make it look safe/pretty. Again, alot of assumptions. 
Thanks for the tip on the T/P stat. That and the aquastat, along with lots of other items will make up a long list of chores if this retrofit actually happens. Otherwise, you may see a UWB on ebay!:D

Rinke-Dink

Still no confirmation on the mfg. but a poster on another forum likened it to a LogWood by Marathon Heater in NY. I agreed the firebox door and top exiting fittings where simular but haven't heard back from the company yet. Anyway, I'm moving forward.
To test the lines on this, can I simply plug them all up and pressurize it with air? And if so, how much? Logically, to me anyway, it should hold up to the point the pop-off valve is supposed to let go, right? 30#
Here are a couple broader pics too.

UN Hooker

RD
I would NOT put 30# of air in that boiler. If a seam should let go, you would think a bomb had exploded. If your going to test it, fill it full of water first. That way if it burst you will just get wet, water does not compress and expand violently when released suddenly.   UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

Rinke-Dink

Thanks UN. I kinda thought about that outcome, should I blow this thing up, so I only put 20# in it and it held it overnight so I think it checks out. Now I'll wait for the insurance company to OK it before I clean the spot in the garage where I want to put it.
Looks like I inadvertently deleted my original 3 photos so I've posted them here. Maybe a moderator can move them back to the top post.

thecfarm

You are gaining. I think you can fix the links yourself. Just do everything by PREVIEWING first than press SAVE. Go into your OP by using the Modify button,change the links,press PREVIEW,if not right work on it some more. If you can't do it,just get out of the OP with out pressing SAVE.

WI Fire

Royall boilers are still in production in Elroy, WI. The business was taken over and has diversified even into the manufacture of pellet grills. They are certified as a closed pressure vessel system, subjected to state boiler inspection manufacturing requirements.  Many units date back to the 1970's. You can find them on the web, and perhaps call to make inquiries if you can give them a serial number. Hope this helps.

Thank You Sponsors!