iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodlot management

Started by wmsycamore, June 06, 2006, 08:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmsycamore

New home with 40 acre wood lot. Some plantation conifers: Larch, Austrian pine, jackpine, Norway spruce.
rest woodlot with Cherry, Red oak, tulip, maple,hickory, birch, beech,  etc. Hardwoods have been cut maybe 30 yrs ago..
Many trees growing closlely together, hickory growing like  whips, competing for shade. A lot of regeneration, probably too much.  Should I start cutting the new whips. The place is a real mess, though it contains some quality trees, especially the cherry. Often trees growing too close.
Plantations especially the spruce are growing like lodgepoles. Under them it is a dead zone. The pine are constantly falling over, leaving spaces that oak & tulip are taking springing up.
Just took an early retirement, I would like to do some of the work myself.
any ideas, suggestions beside  clearcut ?

crtreedude

First of all - welcome to the Forum!

Something you might want to add is what is your eventual goals? It will be hard to have someone advise you if they don't know where you want to go.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Wenrich

Welcome.  What's your location? 
For trees to grow, they need room to expand their crowns.  Without crown expansion, they stagnate.  I've seen a lot of plantations go this route.  People plant the pines, sometimes for Christmas trees, than forget about it when it gets to be too much work. 

From a management perspective, you want to get rid of your worst trees first.  That may mean getting rid of some of that stuff that's been sitting in the understory and has been doing nothing for years or it may mean to get rid of some of the stuff in the canopy.

After the worst goes, then you can start thinning some of the better stuff.  Too often the best gets cut to release a bunch of junk, and it gets sold as "management".

You need to get someone in to look at your stand.  Your extension service may be able to give you some help or your local district forester.

Are you planning on using anything for yourself?  It depends on how retired you really want to be.   ;)

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Your local foresters might even know of thinning programs in your area. If the new growth on those hardwood clearcuts is quite young, 10 -16 years, maybe you can get help financially with pre-commercial thinning to favor the best trees with what we call 'lesser species' mixed in for diversity. Height, density, stand health and species composition have to be assessed for a proper prescription.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Ditto! to the above. Determine what your management objectives are for the woodlot and then contact your local Conservation District Forester to visit your woodlot for some professional advice in ways to meet your management objectives.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!