iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It’s true!

Started by Crossroads, March 13, 2018, 01:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

That chrome rod that doubles as a log clamp will actually destroy a blade 🙈 fortunately there were only 2 whitnesses and I was able to convince them that it's the best way to make sure the clamp is high enough 🤓
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dan_Shade

It'll ruin a debarker blade too :-X
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Rookie.  You are supposed to hit the clamp, not the rod.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I've not managed to do that one...yet.  How did the rod fair?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Crossroads

Ha! No point in doing it half heartedly. 

I was surprised, it actually left a cut about an inch long before I got it shut down. I think I'll save myself some shipping charges on that blade though.....

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

samandothers

SawyerTed

Quote from: Magicman on March 13, 2018, 08:19:28 AM
Rookie.  You are supposed to hit the clamp, not the rod.  ::)
If you are really a good rookie, you will just polish the top of the clamp with the blade.......don't ask how I know!  It still means you need to change the blade.   :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Ditto. Just the slightest polishing that clamp or top of the side support will knock the set off the blade.

I never make mistakes of that nature unless there is a really big audience I am trying to impress. Sort of like backing into the fire hydrant during your driver's license exam. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I have discovered that a two plane clamp does not de-bark well, and de-barker blades are quite expensive :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Percy

One of the nice things about a remote LT70 is you operate it from the opposite end making those types of incidents non existent due to the excellent field of vision provided by such an arrangement .  If you believe me, I have some real estate you may be interested in. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 13, 2018, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: Magicman on March 13, 2018, 08:19:28 AM
Rookie.  You are supposed to hit the clamp, not the rod.  ::)
If you are really a good rookie, you will just polish the top of the clamp with the blade.......don't ask how I know!  It still means you need to change the blade.   :D
This is exactly what I did a few days ago.  Second cut with a new blade.  Got in a hurry.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

starmac

I think it only works with a new blade, at least on the backstops, knock on wood, I have not hit the clamp yet.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

I wonder why manufactures don't put a dog bumper before the blade so this can't happen. Guess they want to sell more blades. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Wouldn't it sometimes be in the way? For example sometimes one wants to cut outside the back stops, to cut wider logs or cants. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 14, 2018, 10:00:28 AM
Wouldn't it sometimes be in the way? For example sometimes one wants to cut outside the back stops, to cut wider logs or cants.
That would be true if you can do that with your mill. My roller guide on my dog side does not move. So I can't cut anything bigger than what will fit between my two roller guides. So I made a bumper that sits in front of my roller guide on the dog side. My blade has never and will never touch the dog. If a bumper was made to attach to your adjustable roller guide that should work.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

teed

On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

Chuck White

Wow Teed, that sucker hit hard!

I cringed a little just watching and knowing it was going to happen!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

starmac

Kbietze, On a woodmizer I would be afraid to put anything solid to keep it from hitting the backstops. I think it would stand a chance of tweaking something a guy might not want tweaked if he hit it wide open, but the op hit the clamp, I am not sure how you could even put anything on the mil to keep from hitting it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crossroads

petefrom bearswamp

Any one that has not hit mill metal please apply for sawmill sainthood.
And I bet that any one who claims this will have his or her nose growing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!