iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic hose

Started by Bruno of NH, August 04, 2018, 09:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I poked a hole in one or the hydraulic lines on my Sundown/Ingland log grapple this week.
Did it busting down a mixed pile the tree company dropped.
Went to Napa to get a new one made.
Picked up yesterday  $100 for a 3ft hose and 2 fitting.
I almost fell over when they told me the price.
Does that sound right?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

pineywoods

Hydraulic hose is a high markup item. Most places charge by the inch. I get most of mine from surpluscenter.com. Still expensive but less than custom made.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Corley5

The hose and fittings are the cheap part it's the hose machine time that costs so much.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

47sawdust

I feel the same way when I leave my local hyd.shop,but when you are in a jam you don't have much choice.SS seems to be the best deal around but only if you are planning ahead.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ljohnsaw

Yeah, they have you over a barrel.  A few years ago I had to have a 5/8" or 3/4" x 6' hose redone and NAPA charged me $90 while I waited about 10 minutes for them to make it.  I spent $1,000 on 17 hoses for my Davis Little Monster but that was cash and at a hydraulic shop.  These were all 1/2" and anywhere from 12" to 24" with the exception of 4 for the outriggers - those were 1/4" x 6" long.

Hydraulic repair is a good business.  My two rams for my SkyTrak cost me $600 for new seals!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

4 wire or 2 wire? How big of a diameter? Swivel or other special ends? None are cheap. Easy to spend $30 on just a fitting. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Price a crimper, a dozen dies, spools of 2 and 4 wire in every size, and about 500 fittings plus bins to keep em in, reel rack, the chopsaw to cut em and an employee who has the brains to distinguish a JIC 37 vs JIC 45 vs a kobelco vs metric flat face etc etc.. then get back to me on that hundred dollar hose being expensive.
Praise The Lord

kenfrommaine

Check out tractor supply they have pre made lengths of hose and sell the different fittings.  These are good quality and very reasonable. 

stihltoomany

Here in the Midwest that would be totally ridiculous but not knowing what kind of hose and what kind of fittings I should not pass judgement seems very high to me but I go to a hydraulic hose supplier for my hoses
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Larry

Most Tractor Supply hoses have IP fittings.

A couple of months ago I went to Ozark Fluid Power and had them make a 30" hose for my tractor FEL.  They use good Parker hose and fittings.  It was in the $30-$40 range and took 10 minutes.  The fittings were a bit uncommon but the hose was common.

If they get too pricey it opens the door for others....crimpers, dies, and supplies can be sometimes found at auction for penny's on the dollar.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bruno of NH

It was 3/8 hose 2 wire i think
They called them tractor fittings
I had to reuse 2 rubber/metal washers from the old hose
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

barbender

That's not uncommon pricing. I had to replace a 6', 5/8" hose on my Case 1845, it was around $100. I have a dozer blade attachment that I blew a hose on. 3/8"x6', I bought a premade hose with pipe thread ends and fittings for around $40 at the lical farm supply store. If I dealt with more I'd probably buy some bulk hose and reusable fittings.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

I would expect that to cos me around $50 - $60 given what you added.
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Sounds high to me. I get my hoses from the local JD equipment company and I'd have thought a hose as described would be under $35 around here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bandmiller2

In my younger days I did excavating, kept a 50' roll of hose in my truck and a box of Aeroquip reusable fittings. It took me no time to make up a hose but those were simpler times. An unmentionable company here sells made up hoses reasonable, keep a couple of spares. You can use a longer hose as a stop gap until you get the right one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beav

Napa in Newport? They have been expensive in my experience. Try Bond Auto ( now O'Reilly's) next time

PAmizerman

Sounds expensive. I just replaced a 12' hose on my mill $90
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Bruno of NH

Yes Napa in Newport 
Couldn't get anyone to wait on me at orielys 

YellowHammer

I'm replacing two lift hoses for my Cat forklift.

I called and got an estimated price at the local Cat dealer, $110 each, built at the dealership.  

Same thing built at a local hydraulic hose company, $40 each.  

Shop around.....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Reading @YellowHammer  reply I suddenly had visions of the Cat guy trying to convince him, in his best Dan Ackryoid / Blues Brothers voice that their hose will be better as it will have "Cat rubber, Cat lettering, Cat smell, Cat receipt".... ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

For the common pipe thread and jic flare ; Surplus center as mentioned but I still use a lot of the old reuseable  fittings that everyone threw away.

Stuart Caruk

I use NAPA for hose and hydraulic fitting ONLY when it's the weekend and I need to get a machine running. Fittings cost about 4 times what the local hydraulics wholesale supply sells them for, and completed hoses are about 2 two 3 times. We have several good hydraulics shops in town. One primarily sells fittings and they are the cheapest in town. The other sells mostly custom fabricated hoses and since that's their specialty, they are the cheapest. I prefer to get my hose made by them because they pull a plug through the hoses to make sure there is no debris left in them, and they put a heat shrink covering on the ends to keep them from getting contaminated during installation. All for the best price in town.

We have 2 NAPAs close to me. One services the farm stuff primarily and the other is more for auto parts. Same name, completely different prices, attitudes, and abilities. They are competitively priced at what they do best. But hoses... not so much.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Rhodemont

Had to replace a hose on my JD backhoe.  Was quite surprised that the proper part number hose at JD dealer was about half the price of Napa and the hydraulic shop.  Glad I was not in a hurry and was going by JD anyway! 
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

bandmiller2

John Deere's pricing for parts is hard to figure. I've got a bunch of old ones and some big parts are reasonable wile some simple little thing they take a tuck on you. Seems they get your confidence up and then nail you. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jtmccallum

Had a 3ft. 3/8 hose with jic fittings made up this at local Case/IH dealer this week.   38.00  We also have a hydraulic shop nearby that is reasonable as well. 
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

crowhill

I read this post couple days ago and thought it had been so long since I had to buy a hydraulic hose I had no idea what my cost had been. Well I found out this morning working the Kubota! Blew three hoses on the loader digging out a six inch black birch stump. 3 lines each less than 30" long, 4 straight fittings @ $13 ea. and two elbows @ $25 ea, hose was $44 and then tax. Came to $154.76 total. A local garage, dropped their wrenches and built my 3/8" @ 4800psi lines. 
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

mike_belben

Blew a pressure washer hose right at a rub spot a foot from the current fitting.  Chopped it off, went into my bins, found the right end and fired up the trusty old aeroquip.  

Back in business.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!