iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this?

Started by Bark Beetle, January 29, 2017, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bark Beetle

We found the smaller piece first a few years ago and just today I found the larger one not very far from where the first was found

You don't work wood, you work with wood.

samandothers

A guess would be part of an old axle, but I don't know for sure.  Look forward to others indicating with some certainty!

Dave Shepard

Is the smaller piece made of lead?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Autocar

Part of a old hand water pump maybe .
Bill

Kbeitz

The the tapered part of a wagon axle.
called a cast skein.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

luvmexfood

Looks a lot like an old valve used on a water trough. Modern ones are made of brass and a piece that comes out the top that you attach a rod to with a float on the end. When the tank fills up the float on the rod pushes the piece on the valve down shutting off the water flow.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Jeff

It's part of a model a driveshaft. I'll try to find the pic of the one I used to make a grinder base this summer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ozarkgem

I'm going with the wagon axle. No bolt hole flanges. I kind of remember seeing them laying around as a kid.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

dustyhat

Sorry, but everybodys wrong. its a wagon ( Thimble )  ;D o elk had it right.

yukon cornelius

Wagon thimble it is. We found a near identical one online. I never would have expected that. We thought when we found the first piece it was part of a pump. We found it in an old creek crossing. I was amazed when we found the second piece today. They definitely go together.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bark Beetle

Is the socket on the side for self oiling/greasing? It has a hole that goes from the socket to the axle of the thimble.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

From what I see with a quick search,  wagon skein and wagon thimble are the exact same thing, just different terminology.    Both are right, right? (Tom)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bark Beetle

Don_Papenburg

Yep that's it, the tapered part is s'posedto be covered in grease
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!