iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Goodbye Whistler

Started by Jeff, February 04, 2017, 05:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I guess it's time to let you die. You slowed to a crawl and now you must be euthanized. There were no more cures for the things that ailed you. Hopefully before the end, you taught your replacement all it will need to know so I can keep on keeping on.

A riddle for geeks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

When I first started reading I was afraid, and hope this is not the case, that your Lab had died. Now if it is a question I am wondering if it is the squeal you get when you dial a fax number. I even thought about a tea pot but that did not seem to apply. If not one of those I'm certainly stumped.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I beta know what he is talking about.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2017, 06:57:18 PM
I beta know what he is talking about.   ;D

Then message me Magicman!

Magicman

I thought about it and then decided that I beta not.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is the sound that you make when your first bite into that sour pickled bologna  :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

You can't trust that pickled Baloney from the magicman. That was an old jar opened sometime ago. I didn't even eat it while I was there!

Magicman

Smart man.  I didn't either.  :)

thecfarm

Has something to do with the storage room of the forum data
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Well Ray, I suppose theoretically you could some how construe that, but for the purpose of the topic, I say no.  :)

Mooseherder

Is it red and does it have a bowtie?

Jeff

Nope. Still have both of those.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Ljohnsaw

I was thinking you had an old PC with Windows XP but that was EOL'd quite a while back!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Jeff

The xp machine was my everyday work horse. Itso obviously on its last legs, so I had to finally make the move. Many of my old tools I don't have discs or register codes anymore, and there is several that simply won't run on 10. I'm currently transferring over 1 million files from my documents. Just the forum gallery backup will take most of the night.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on February 04, 2017, 11:10:04 PM
Bingo!  8)

OK, I'm not a real, died in the wool, geek.  I happen to have a xp box still ::)  So, what is the reference to Whistler?  The power supply noise? :D
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Al_Smith

I'm having a similar problem trying to access data from the hard drives of  two XP pro machines over to Win 10 .It's over my scope of knowledge .

Jeff

Microsoft has code names for each operating system versions. The first XP being "Whistler"   to the version of windows 10 I have now with the machine I got yesterday which is "Redstone"  Whistler is homage To Whistler Mountain in B.C.  where microsoft had many tech retreats. All of the microsoft operating sytems had different places as code name such as detroit and chicago, lonestar and of course there was "Vista" 

Apple uses types of cats, and most people know that android uses candy names like lollypop, jellybean, Ice Cream Sandwich and so on.

pineywoods

UUGGH, looks like I may be headed for another upgrade. But DanG, I just upgraded...from win98 to windows xp  :(
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ljohnsaw

Two years ago, I got a pair of Acer laptops - one for me and one for my son.  They were only $260 each.  They came with Windows 8.0.  Then there was a free upgrade to 8.1 or 8.2.  Last year, Windows 10 came out and I was able to update mine but it would not go on to my son's laptop no mater what I tried.

Soooo, I read an article that said I could make an Win 10 emergency restore "disk" on a flash drive and use my old Windows 8 license key to install Windows 10.  Will that work?  Worth a shot?  My son's laptop has some deep down virus (I believe) that makes it do peculiar things so we agreed to burn it down and try to load Win 10.
John Sawicky

Al_Smith

I had a hacker, my own fault from not paying attention ,Win 10 .That pot licker tried to hold me for ransom .Purely out of luck I found that Win 10 would automatically go back to a known good restore point .Just keep hitting enter .I don't know if Win 8 will do it or not on it's own .It's worth a try .

As far as hackers go I'm bullheaded enough I'd spend another 650-700 on a new computer before I'd give them a dime .

Ianab

QuoteAs far as hackers go I'm bullheaded enough I'd spend another 650-700 on a new computer before I'd give them a dime .

They can't damage the computers hardware, only disable / lock / steal the files and software. It's maybe the computer equivalent of siphoning the gas out of your car. The car wont run, but it's not "broken".

The hardware is always recoverable, even if it means wiping the disk and re-installing Windows etc from an install disk. Your files should be recoverable because you have made a backup of them some place.. right?

Probably the most dangerous is your info. Like they get hold of your bank account and password or other personal info, and actually steal your money.

We've had several business clients get sucked into opening "crypoto-locker" spam emails. These encrypt your  actual data files, and will also lock up any files it can access across the network. This is in spite up to date anti-virus, which is always on step behind the bad guys. No one has had to pay the ransom yet, as we have them set up with good off site backups of all their data. But we have had to wipe and reinstall a few machines to get them cleaned up and running reliably.

Sometimes the clean-up costs more than the ransom, but most people would rather pay that than give in to those scum and pay them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

paul case

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 04, 2017, 10:03:30 PM
I was thinking you had an old PC with Windows XP but that was EOL'd quite a while back!

I am glad you cleared that up. I was afraid I was getting the ax!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!