iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawdust to dry muddy area.

Started by Qweaver, February 13, 2017, 10:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

My cousin told me that dumping sawdust on a muddy area would help dry it out and make it solid.  I always thought that it was the opposite.  I have never tried it and my cousins family owns a big sawmill and they should know.  What do you all think?  The area around my saw shed is a mess and I would like to fix that. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ellmoe

Always made a bigger mess in the mills I've been involved in.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

pineywoods

That won't work, just makes a bigger mess that takes forever to dry out. Go to your local concrete plant and ask about a load of "wash-out". It's the run off from cleaning out the mixer trucks. Most places will give it to you or at least a minimal charge. Stuff mixed with mud will set up almost as good as concrete...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

drobertson

Same here, its good floor dry this is certain, but it's organic, not a very good base from my experiences, it breaks down, same with bark chunks, limestone chat is worth the money, long time fix,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Not a permanent fix, but I regularly scatter sawdust around the sawmill to kill the mud when I am in a wet situation. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

I did not think it was a good fix.  I think I will just bite the bullet and gravel it.  I have some 6", 52s and crush and run left over from building a road down to the river that should fix the problem.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

47sawdust

Jeff, the Forum boss,posted some time back that sawdust and mud only makes more mud.
The gravel you mentioned is far superior.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brucer

When I was sawing for a timber-framer, his guys would dump all the planer shavings in the field where the saw was set up. They were trying to keep the dust down.

It worked fine until the ground got wet. A light rain, no problem, except if the ground stayed wet too long. Then the shavings got ground into the surface and prevented the surface from getting hard when it dried out. So now they had a surface that generated a lot more dust. The next rainfall would soak into the loose surface much more quickly and the mud would get even deeper >:(.

Their solution was to add more shavings, which of course made things even worse. After that failed experiment someone decided that sawdust from the mill would work better ??? ::). It didn't.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Kbeitz

I found out that coal ashes toughens up mud real good.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

The sawdust traps and holds in moisture, so it makes things worse and greatly lengthens the time for the mud to dry out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I have used it around my fish and game cleaning area and a wet spot in my yard. It may hold moisture but it also immediately absorbs excess moisture. It certainly comes off your boots more readily than the mud does.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!