iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cockshutt 550

Started by Madtrapper01, July 09, 2019, 04:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madtrapper01

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just bought a woodlander xl hm 126 from woodland mills and am looking at picking up an old tractor.
It's a 1961 cockshutt 550, just wondering if they are a good tractor or should I stay away.
Thanks, this forum seems to be busting with great information.

GAB

Quote from: Madtrapper01 on July 09, 2019, 04:36:36 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just bought a woodlander xl hm 126 from woodland mills and am looking at picking up an old tractor.
It's a 1961 cockshutt 550, just wondering if they are a good tractor or should I stay away.
Thanks, this forum seems to be busting with great information.
Do you know of a source for spare parts for that tractor?
That would be my main concern.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

A-z farmer

The cockshutt 550 is the same as the oliver 550 tractor.
We have many Oliver 550 tractors on the farm but we only have used them for scraping the barns daily .I do not know what you are planning to do with it but I would not use it with a loader on it .
Some parts are not available from agco for the tractor.
This is just 2 cents 
Zeke

btulloh

Oliver made some great tractors back in the day but probably not what want for a tool.
HM126

sawguy21

It would be fine as a hobby to restore but will likely come up short as a working tractor. It is almost 60 years old, stuff will break and as mentioned parts can be hard to find. What are you planning to use it for?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skip

I have 2 , 550 Olivers, They are a good old dependable tractor , the key word being old . Parts are readily available. (Mine are for sale by the way.) Check out Antique Iron magazine or Oliver collectors mag. :P

Madtrapper01

Ok, I have a handle on a parts shop but not sure this will be the best fit now. Want it for skidding out some logs, lifting big ones onto mill, plowing snow and doing some food plotting.
I'm starting to think a skid steer might be a better option? I have no experience with skid steers so can't say for sure.

gspren

I'd rather skid with the old tractor than a skid steer. Those old tractors can still do a days work but if you really need one every day you should have two just in case you need to wait on parts. Is it a wide front or tricycle? Don't put a loader on a tricycle type tractor although the narrow fronts are good for skidding if you're on relatively flat ground.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Skip

One of my 550's was my dedicated ' skidder'  has combine tires on rear did a fine job , great snow plow , don't know about the FEL .

Thank You Sponsors!