iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of mill (Belsaw M-14)

Started by Little Jim, January 09, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Jim

This is my first attempt at posting pictures of my little mill. I thought some of you Belsaw fellows might like to see them. I sure have enjoyed looking at all of yours and getting lots of idea during the process. If this works I will post some others.

jerry-m

Very nice set up... Pictures are great, thanks...

One thing you might consider is adding a piece of plex a glass to your chip screen...

Jerry
Jerry

bandmiller2

You did a good job rebuilding and setting up your mill Jim. Your wise to have built the turning blocks they will save your carriage. Do you usally cut alone or have help.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Wellmud

That baby looks new again, very nice.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Possum Creek

That is one nice looking belsaw. I am very impressed, it is nearly to clean to use.   Great job.                  PC

61Scout80

Jim,
What a great looking M-14 mill and shed!  What are you using to power the mill?
"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."
John Wooden

stoverguy

Dang that is nice! I expect you will find the sawdust the next thing to tackle. I get an incredable ammout of sawdust without a pit and chain to take it away. Sawing hard, you will have to stop every 1/2 hour or so just to clear it out. It really adds up fast. I see you only have two knees. They are pretty light. I have the three knee setup and even that kept comming loose on me. The light strap that ties the knees down to the C channel kept slipping and bending letting the uprights get loose. With only two you are going to know what I mean pretty quick. I tried to "beef them up" with a plate welded in but it only made it better not good. I replaced mine with an L shape plate that has a lock bolt on top and and roller underneath. I should take a picture. Pretty simple, I made mine myself, but you will need access to a milling machine to cut the height adjustment slots.

c greenham

Very nice looking mill.  I am a big fan of these types of mills it speaks volumes of our forefathers which built this industry.

dustyjay

Awesome! That is inspiring. Cold weather and full time work has slowed my mill build. That looks so slick with the paint job. I plan to do doors a lot like what you have for your skidway. Nice and buttoned up.
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

beenthere

Little Jim
What is your control or shut-down procedure for the PTO power to the saw?
Overhead?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Babylon519

Hey Jim, nice to see another one prettied up! That's a good solid staging area you built - would you make any changes to that if you were building it again? I'll make one this spring, and I could learn from you... (I have been using a trailer for staging, but want something more permanent).
Nice project, well done! -

Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

MIsawyer

That is a great setup you have there

thecfarm

The rebuilding is done. Good luck sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hardtailjohn

Nice!! 

Stoverguy...I'd like to see pictures of what you're talking about. I have a 3 knee, but need a dog for the 3rd.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Joe Lallande

Take a few pictures of your power.

dgdrls

Welcome Little Jim,

That's a dandy set-up,  love those circle mills smiley_thumbsup

power??

DGDrls

sdunston

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

hardtailjohn

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 09, 2014, 09:12:01 PM
Your wise to have built the turning blocks they will save your carriage.

One question I have.... would it work even better if the turning blocks were even a bit further back? That way the cant would transfer all the shock load to the deck instead of the carriage, and you just shove it back on, already fully turned?  I realize it would be a bit more work shoving it back on that way, but am I just going too far?
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

thurlow

Quote from: hardtailjohn on January 12, 2014, 01:02:30 PM
Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 09, 2014, 09:12:01 PM
Your wise to have built the turning blocks they will save your carriage.

One question I have.... would it work even better if the turning blocks were even a bit further back? That way the cant would transfer all the shock load to the deck instead of the carriage, and you just shove it back on, already fully turned?  I realize it would be a bit more work shoving it back on that way, but am I just going too far?
John
Certainly not knocking anyone else's set-up.......and the mill looks great, but......I've never thought I needed turning blocks.  I just flip the cant onto the deck and then slide it back onto the carriage.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

bandmiller2

John, when you turn the cant you use your cant hook which tends to slide the cant to the bottom of the turners as it flips over on them with very little impact on the carriage. Thurlow your system works but the triangular turners let the cant slide back on the carriage easily. I don't have a Belsaw but use that type of turner on my Chase mill. My turners are hinged and have truck air brake cam rollers to help scoot the cant back on the carriage. It helps if you have wood turners to put a strip of steel or Teflon on the incline to make them slicker.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Possum Creek

I made some turners out of 6" channel iron cut 45 deg. with a plate welded on the cut side for the log to slide on. They are on hinges like bandmiller2's are. I ain't saying its the best way but it sure saves me lots of pushing.        PC

iwiegian

Very well done little Jim. I just purchased an M-14 and I sure hope it ends up even half as nice as yours.  Like you I plan on using turning blocks. Dave

Thank You Sponsors!