iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40D33 manual to LT40SH

Started by big_sid, September 24, 2006, 10:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_sid

I'm thinking of trading the ol' LT40 manual to a brand new LT40SH with all the bells and whistles 8).  My back and shoulder pain me often >:(..Im looking to relieve some of that pain....and boost production(always a plus).. if anybody has any input it would be appreciated..even tho im going to call WM in the morning any way ;)
never been so happy to be so broke

WH_Conley

Hey Sid, can't go wrong with power. Now yer gonna make me lust after yer mill :D
Bill

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

If you can use the production increase, then it sounds like a no brainier to me.

One option that'll really help out your back and shoulder is the Autoclutch.

(Another is a good wife to offbear.)  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bull

GET MILL !!!!  when you do send me the correct response

big_sid

ok, here's an update, good news and bad news. good news,called WM this morning to spec. out the mill and get a price :o they have one ready to go, they'll bring it to the show in nelsonville, ohio oct. 6.  :)it's only 125 miles from here,2.5 hour drive,Indy is a 5 hour drive. bad news they did'nt offer me as much as I wanted for my old mill :( gotta let him go to be able to get a new one, gotta crunch the numbers some more,unless someone would be interested in buying him::) will have more news tomorrow.

Bibbyman

How old is your LT40D33?   Have you already deprecated it out on your taxes?  If so, maybe you need to put more in a new one for even more tax deprecation?  ???
Sawing since '94

Stephen1

Maybe you can more here?
How much ?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Cypress Man

Sid

About six months ago I did just what you are thinking.  I sold my 6 yr. old WM LT40HDG25 and bought a new WM LT40SHE25.  I only thought my back hurt before.  The added production only increases the amount of boards needing to be stacked, but I wouldnt chnage it for the world.  I love the speed of the E25.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

SawDust_Studios

When you do go for it, let me know. I'm going through the same thing right now. Worst part seems to be getting rid of the old mill. 

For me the problem is the mill is so new 2003(4) and has less than 300hrs. Its a 40HDG25, so I don't wanna take an enormous loss to goto the Super.  But it seems I"m going to have to. Do you plan on trading or selling?  I've already gotten a trade price from woodmizer and I was a little sticker shocked. So the mill is advertised and I'm taking the leap.
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

big_sid

Here's an update, Closed the deal yesterday 8) the new mill will be on it's way to nelsonville to be picked up sun. oct. 8 8) The reason I didn't post this yesterday was because I was sick with a headache thinking"what have I done?" :-\ But I'm all better today 8) cant' wait. Bibby you're right the old mill was depreciated out last year, so I did need to spend some bucks :D :D Thanks to all for the encouragement.....

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

big_sid

Bull..Got mill!!
Me, my wife, and daughter went to Nelsonville and met up with the guys from WM...Bear wanted me to tell Pro Sawyer Mary that he wants some more cookies ;D..everyone said to tell Bibby "Hey".  We also met Dale Hatfield and saw his incredible wood carvings :o.. We also enjoyed meeting and talking with John Hicks :)..We all had a good time at the show..my daughter got some souveniers..we ate expensive but delicious timber burgers ::)  and, last but not least, hitched up my new mill and came home  8)  I cant belive what an interest my daughter has taken in the new mill...she has the accuset figured out and is ready to saw :o
P.S.
Hey Bill, when are you coming up ???

Bibbyman

Made my day!   8)

Just wish Pro Sawyer Mary could have been there to give Mr. Bear some cookies.
Sawing since '94

WH_Conley

Het Sid, where ya got it sittin at? I gotta come over and drool. ;D
Bill

bull

Way to go Sid. now make the sawdust fly
                                                         ;) Bull

Brucer

I was too DanG busy last month to visit FF very often, so I missed this post. It's too late to help big_sid, but for anyone else who's thinking of selling and/or upgrading, here's some numbers I got from WM Canada. The percentages ought to be good in the US as well.

The mill will lose a percentage of the original purchase price each year:
  1st year - 10%
  2nd year - 8%
  3rd year - 7%
  4th year - 6%
  5th year - 5%

In addition, deduct $1.25 (CDN -- say $1.10 US) for each hour on the engine meter. This will give you the suggested reselling price. Expect the trade-in price to be considerably less.

In Canada, with the rising dollar it's not unusual to see a new WM selling for less than the same mill did a year ago. In this case we need to multiply the percentages by the lessor of A) what we paid for the mill, and B) what a new one costs today.

In my case the trade-in price worked out to be just a little below the suggested reselling price after allowing for taxes. Reason is, the federal and provincial taxes would be based on the entire price of a new mill if I sold the old mill privately; but they'd only be based on the difference if I did a trade-in.

I did my "upgrade" in the spring, just as demand began to rise. I put a deposit (fully refundable) on the new mill to reserve it for a month before I put the word out that I had a mill for sale. Didn't take but a day before I started getting calls. I only missed two days production while I delivered the old one and picked up the new one.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

amberwood

I just did the sums on the LT40 super, 97 compared to a new equivalent including freight. Using AUD equivalents, and extending the 5% reduction out on the 6th to 9th years it scarily within a few dollars of what I paid. They certainly hold their value.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Gilman

Boy will you love that board return.  Shoulders & elbows just aren't made to hadle pulling green chain. 

CONGRAT'S  8) 8)  Make sure you let us know about the difference between the two millls.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

big_sid

Hey everyone, nice rainy day here in ky. no way to saw today, so thought I would chime in for awhile.I know it's been awhile but we've been really, really busy. The new mill is working out great, oh we had a few ups & downs fer a spell like going into the log while the head was still going down,or giging back before the blade clears the log, :'( but all is fine now, this thing seemed really fast then, but anyway, had a couple of problems with the mill, accset went haywire, freeze plug on the engine was leaking, and the fuel tank was bad,radiator was leaking, Woodmizer took care of everthing,no problem, great bunch 8) sounds like alot, but just minor stuff. Production has really increased, so has the business :) I guess we doubled our daily output of sawing grade lumber,cants & ties. The local market has picked up some,stuff like, porches, fencing,and barn lumber, could be because we're right out of town next to the main road. All we need now is a never ending supply of logs and a nice big shed, only thing is we don't own the land we're on, just cutting the guy's timber and sawing it. but we do have a place to set up and build a shed, but then we would have to buy logs, that might be a problem because the logger's a'round here are afraid you might make a dollar of them :D,  I'll go now, Oh yea  I love the mill 8)

ljmathias

Congratulations on your new mill!  Wish I had the guts (and money) to do the same but I'm still cutting with an '86 LT30 with a 16 horse gas motor- slow but it still works ok as long as I keep it greased, fed and repaired.

So, did you see or trade in your LT40?  I may have missed something but if you still have it (or anyone else has a similar machine) I might be interested (since can't really affort a brand new one).

Thanks and keep having fun- that's what makes all the work worth it, right?

ljmathias
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

footer

Quote from: ljmathias on January 07, 2007, 08:00:31 PM
Congratulations on your new mill!  Wish I had the guts (and money) to do the same but I'm still cutting with an '86 LT30 with a 16 horse gas motor- slow but it still works ok as long as I keep it greased, fed and repaired.

So, did you see or trade in your LT40?  I may have missed something but if you still have it (or anyone else has a similar machine) I might be interested (since can't really affort a brand new one).

Thanks and keep having fun- that's what makes all the work worth it, right?

ljmathias

ljmathias

I have an LT  40G25 manual, with trailer package and manual log handling option. I think the model year is about 1999 or 2000 and has around 250 hrs on it.

Thank You Sponsors!