iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got off the pot,,,,,,,,,finally

Started by bedway, October 11, 2006, 10:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

As many of you know ive been comtemplateing and thunking on this mill thing for a while. Ive finally won the wife over, (might be more of a case of ive worn her down) :D I put my order in to linn lumber yersterday for a complete saw carriage kit. From my brief dealings with Gary there, he seems to be a pleasure to work with. The kit will include everything except the engine, of which i intend to use a 16 horse briggs. This will require my assembling the saw head kit, welding, drilling, tapping etc. Once the saw carriage is built then i will build a frame/ bed for the log. Between this sight and the DIY bandmill sight im putting together ideas on the frame. I intend to document and learn to post pics on here so i can share with you all, during this venture. All your valuable ideas and insight will be highly appreciated. I know you all will keep me out of trouble,,,and needless to say you all hate pictures! smiley_hollywood_cool,,,,,,,,,,,,bedway

Modat22

My recommendation would be to use square tubing whenever possible. I wish I had. ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

Frank_Pender

Good for you.  You will find tht Gary is a good person to deal with.  I some folks out this way that bought from him and are very happy with their mills. ;D
Frank Pender

bedway

modat,,,Can you tell me some more as to why you recommend box tubeing over angle or channel. Also what areas do you consider on your mill to be under built, or wish you had used heavier material. I thought you did a nice job on your mill, but of course you have the luxery of hindsight. Thats the beauty of this sight, useing others input, ideas, and incorporate their successes and try to avoid the pitfalls or mistakes others have  incountered and learned from,,,,bedway

Modat22

I had alot of trouble keeping everything straight while using angle. THe angle already had a slight bow from manufacture so I ended up using the welds to straighten it as I went. Box tubing in my opinion is straighter off the steel lot and is easier to keep straight.

I haven't found a a weak spot in my mill yet besides my guides. I kinda went nuts on some of the steel I used but like I tell everyone, I used what I had  ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

jrokusek

Quote from: Modat22 on October 12, 2006, 12:03:52 PM
I had alot of trouble keeping everything straight while using angle. THe angle already had a slight bow from manufacture so I ended up using the welds to straighten it as I went. Box tubing in my opinion is straighter off the steel lot and is easier to keep straight.

I haven't found a a weak spot in my mill yet besides my guides. I kinda went nuts on some of the steel I used but like I tell everyone, I used what I had  ;D

Ditto what Modat22 said.  If I had to do it again I'd but pre-made blade guides and save myself the headache of cobbling something together.  You can't build it too heavy....don't worry....it will roll just fine no matter how heavy it is.  You want the carriage to be as stiff as possible.  The only thing you want to flex is your elbow and a cool beverage after a long day of making sawdust  ;)

Jim

bedway

ok, this is a test to see if i can post a pic.,,,,,bedway

Paul_H

You're off to a good start,good luck with the mill  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!