iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAWING POWER POLES whats the best blade?

Started by wle, January 04, 2007, 06:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wle

anyone have anything on this,please let me no thanx

Larry

Old ones on their last leg.  If you are sawing, the big high line poles lots of set....030/side and not much hook angle...4 to 6 degrees.  They stay sharp a lot longer.  Lotsa of lube helps.  Do not be afraid to experiment...lot of different species were made into poles...with maybe 30 different treatment methods.  And the butt that was in the ground will saw differently than the above ground part of the pole.

And I see you're a new...welcome and pull up a stump. :)  The search function is your friend...a lot has been written bout sawing utility poles in the past.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

wle

ARKANSAWYER

Welcome and remember if they are treated the dust is bad for you.  I use 0.055 10 degree blades because they hold up better when hitting metal and the dirt in the poles.  You can clean out the teeth when you hit a nail with a chain saw file and keep cutting.  Pine oil in the water helps keep the blade clean.  It is tuff cutting but you can get some really good wood.
ARKANSAWYER

woodhick

Arky, since you have been at this a while maybe you can answer my question on resawing power poles.   I have heard people say that once you cut them they won't last as the "treatment" is not as heavy in the center of the pole.  One guy told me he split some for fence posts and they didn't last but a couple of years.  I have some 12-14" poles that I was goint to resaw into 6"x6" but don't want to go through the hassle if they won't last.  What's your experience on this?   Thanks
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Furby

Lot of times if you cut a pole off part way up, you can see how far the treatment penetrated by looking at the cross section.
At least in the geen treated ones it's pretty easy to see.

Thank You Sponsors!