iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Boy,we have been getting some bad storms.Thunder showers we are use too,but not like these.And they are coming 3-4 times a day.The storms seems to be harder and longer as time goes on.Been raining here all day at times.Most years during July and Aug it does not rain much more than an hour at a time,called a shower.The rivers and streams are way higher than what they should be.The rock as I cross the bridge on the way to work is under water.The wet hole at the end of the field is still wet.The wife won't mow it unless I'm home.She probably would get the mower stuck in it.This wet hole should be well on it's way to drying out.We even had a tornado on the border of Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Not much hay being made around here either. Water table is up 3-4 feet in the gravel pit more than it usually is this time of year. The brook usually dries up, but has a good steady flow right now. Rains most every day. Corn likes it though. ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

We've got quite a bit more rain than usual this year, but it's been nice and even so there's no floods.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

It's not just your part of the world  ::)

Local weather Stats for last month,  440mm of rain (~18"), July average is 200mm. Total sunshine hours 66  :(

Sun is actually shining now, but we had more rain earlier this morning. Thats some rain measured every day for the last 3 Weeks  ::)

Did I mention I've had enough of the rain?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moonhill

My blueberries are cracking open.  I don't like it.   They will heal up if the sun comes out, some will be lost.  That's life.  Been getting the same rain as thecfarm.  Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Warbird

It's been crazy up here, too.  Our two main rivers have flooded.  Most of the towns of Nenana and Salcha were flooded and it is still raining.  It slowed down and the floods have receded but it is still rainy and wet.  This summer has been much cooler than normal, too.  Like, lots cooler.  Some folks were firing up their boilers at the end of July!

moonhill

My sister lives in Delta Junction and she has reported the same.  Tim

Coon

We have been getting quite a few showers here too.  Most of these showers haven't been amounting to much though.  The crops are behind in average growth stages by about a week or two because of the lack of heat.  Don't get me wrong on this but if we can get a couple of weeks of warm sunny weather we could still pull off bumper crops off of the lands that were not damaged by heavy rains, winds, and the inevitable hail.

Most farmers that put up hay in these parts are claiming that they only got about 60% of their yearly average tonnage and is looking like it would be about 48% of the 10 year average.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Texas Ranger

Trade y'all for this junior sized hurricane that just went through.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

moonhill

I wouldn't trade.  I love the climate of Maine, it has all the changes and I am hooked on all of them.  We also don't have earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes and poisonous snakes.  Well almost, we have a little of each nothing major.  A bit of snow in the winter which make for a nice fresh change.   Tim

TexasTimbers

Global warming has flat worn us out here too. Cooler temps all the way around. We have had a couple 101 - 105 days they said but mustly sub 100. The highs for our 15 day fporecast vary between 89 and 96. Lows for the next 15 days vary between 68 and 74.

That 68 is a might too cool for me but I can handle it. Overall my feet are staying nice and warm. I already dread winter but i don't want to think about it - I am basking in the sun and happy as a lark.

We are dry here. Our corn is burnt to a crisp. I see a few fields with irrigation but they are losing money by doing it. Or they must have figured out that crop insurance/federal subsidy/tax write-off balancing act real well to be dumping water on corn long enough to keep it green around here.

They havn't put meters on our well pumps here yet so i have been keeping my last pine tree alive, my last cottonwood tree alive, and the water oak don't need any water it must have a taproot 80' deep because it looks like it has water to spare and I haven't put a drop anywhere near its root system.

We are making do in a cooler than usual, dryer than usual, Texas summer. Dreading winter though. I hate winter. Don't know if I mentioned that yet. My feet are gettin cold just thinkin about it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DouginUtah

Here at the top of Utah the past three months have been relentlessly hot--usually around 95°, with only about five days over 100° though. Humidity is usually around 10-15% fortunately.

Today was the first cool day we have had in a long time. It only got up to 88°.

At my new house, we have had less than 0.1" of rain in the last three months.

I was real late getting my garden planted and it has suffered through the heat. What I wanted didn't grow, and what I really didn't care about grew like crazy. Anybody need radishes?  :D

I was going to start a new topic to ask this question but I'll ask now....

Some animal is picking my green, paintball sized tomatoes and depositing them around--one found in a 5-gallon water bucket, one in my corn patch. What animal would do this? Choices I think are coon, cat or squirrel.

I just spent three weeks building two, 120 square foot storage sheds. (No building permit required if not over 120 s.f. per IRC.) Pictures to follow.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

TexasTimbers

Coon I'd say. Squirells don't mess with maters to my knowledge. Also, a coon has a personality. It will do "kid stuff" more so than most any other animal except a monkey. Don't have any jungles anywhere near you , do you?

Tom

My Porch Coon Thread (link)

excerpt from yet a third porchcoon thread:
The wife is on the front porch with the water hose now.  Seems she was visited again last night sometime.  The dirt from the plant that she didn't move is all under the porch now.  She is muttering something that I can barely make out as the water from the hose-nozzle passes back and forth over my office window and the front door.

rrrrrrr rrrrrrr  ...coon..  rrrrrrrrrrr  ...... here racoon....  rrrrrrr rrrrrr.  mumble .....   rrrrrrr  rrrrrrr

I think she's finally losing her mind.  :D

Handy Andy

Here in the Kansas desert, we get rainy weather, but no real rain.  rained for 2 days last week and we got .20 .  Just enough to soak my hay but not enough to do any good.  Soybeans and alfalfa could use a drink. Not to mention the cow pasture.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

WDH

smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop

It is parched here, 100°, and miserably humid.  Normal.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

It has been an amazingly cool summer here.  Maybe this means we are entering a new ice age?  8)  -60 F and 10' of snow.  I could handle it.  For a while, anyway.  As long as it got above freezing in the summer, it'd be all right.  Maybe it'd make more city folk move away and leave the rugged folks.  No offense to any city folks.  Cities are great...  as long as they are far away.  ;D

Tell you what though, it has already gotten down into the 30's at night a couple of times.  Almost 2 weeks ago, it got down to 42 F overnight at my house...  in JULY!

thedeeredude

At least we have it better than those poor New Englanders in 1816 :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

TexasTimbers

That was an interesting read.

dundee

You gotta wonder how the atheletes in Biejing are going to handle that hot, humid and SMOG weather??

thecfarm

Seems like I can remember my Father saying something about that.Seems like he said they had a frost every month.
Raining steady here now.Started around 10 AM and suppose to last all day.I might even be able to get a burn permit in Aug.That will seem odd.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Was raining here this morning also ... wind has picked up and now the sun is out  8) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

It was over 90o here by 11 AM this morning. smiley_crying  I moved to the mountains to get away from the heat!  Hasn't rained a drop in 9 days.  So far this is the driest year on record, even drier than last year, which was the driest year on record.  Send some of your rain our way!!!

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Dodgy
We don't wanna shouldn't tell ya how nice it is in da north then....

Managed to creep up to 78° here today. Supposed to get up to 81° tomorrow.
But I'm ready for it to cool off next month and then snow.  :)

Don't envy you with the heat, nor anyone for that matter.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

Drove up to the top of Black Rock Mountain after lunch, which is just about 5 miles from where I live.  Highest State Park in Georgia at 3,600 feet.  It was 80o and breezy.  Apparently I just need to move farther up the mountain ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!