iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

preventing theft and vandalism in the woods

Started by EricR, October 02, 2011, 09:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricR

I cut firewood and usually do so where landowner live on the property and i store my equipment (kubota with farmi winch) close to there house so i dont really worry about it but I am starting to do some work in more remote areas which are distance away from my house and dont have that luxury and worry about theft or vandalism to my machine. Unfortunatly that stuff happens around here.  Its prety easy to get it onto a trailer and be gone in a few minutes. I was just curious as to what some of you have done to try to prevent this.  All i can come up with is to put it in a shipping container at night but moving it from job to job may not be cost effective because i would have to pay to move it. 

shelbycharger400

i heard bout similar case
someone "lifted" a skidloader, that was boxed in on 3 sides tight with trucks,  in a well lit, heavy traffic area
i have heard of cars being taken out of driveways.ect..ect.

break out the heavy log chains, locks, and chain to trees ect.  it will slow them down at the least if your goin to leave it their, best to take your equipment home with you , just as the contractors do, because they have been burned in the past.

Bobus2003

Lock everything up as good as possible, Have Master switches located in hidden locations, and hope for the best.. if the worst happens call the ins. company

woodzy88

I have run a small red led on equipment . At nite they give the impression that an alarm system is on the machine or building and the require only low amps to run. A red led side marker off a truck works well.

Woodzy
woodzy88

thecfarm

Park the tractor behind or in front of a good size tree,put the winch down and the loader if you have one.Kinda put it in a spot that could not be backed up to with a trailer.Before moving here I kept my tractor in a locked shed. I put a piece of metal over the fuel cap,with a lock and run a piece of small round stock through the loop of the dipstick with a lock. All were keyed a like.I like to keep things out of sight too. But that is good and bad too. No one can see someone around it. What size hp is your Kubato? Could a shipping container be hauled with a car hauler? I have no idea,but they charge $75 to haul a car in this area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

EricR

A 20 foot shipping container weighs about 6000 lbs empty and are 8 feet wide.  my trailer isnt that wide.  I may pay to have it moved for now and eventually upgrade to a tilt deck trailer so i could move it mself.  I like the idea of the container becasue I could store my saws and all my equipment in it and would decrease my set up and clean up time instead of trying to stack it all in my truck

jd540b

jueston

in the army we used shipping containers for storage and after you build in some shelfs and brackets for your ropes to hold everything down its like having your garage with you everywhere you go, its pretty handy, depending on how much maintenance you do on the road you can put a little work bench in there so you have someplace to work and you can even cut skylights into them if you're feeling luxurious....

EricR

jueston, Thats exactly what im thinking  i,ve even thought to put a small wood stove in one to have a nice place to eat my lunch

jueston

Troublermaker

You know that some people will steal anything if they think they can get away with it. Some years a go I help a friend that live in town move a refrigerator out to the sidewalk for the junk man to pick up.  We was too late getting it out for that week pick up so I thought he just have to move it back to the house so it wouldn't be sitting out there all weekend. He put a for sale sign on it for $75.00. Someone stole it the first night he put the sign on it.

jueston

my father in law had a couch sitting out on his curb with a free sign for 5 days, didn't budge, put a sign that said "$20 OBO" and it was gone the next night.

caveman

What about preventing theft and vandalism in the city?  I read in the local paper today that a deputy's patrol car was broken into at the station and his radios were stolen. 
Caveman

sparky1

I was always told locking things up keeps the honest person honest... if someone wants something bad enough, there gonna get it. Which i think is a very true statement, sad but true.. The shipping containers do make good work shop setups. Weve been working outa them for the past 3 years on certin jobsites. They will get very hot, and very cold though (depending on the time of year)!!!
Shaun J

forest.c

A trail cam works wont stop thieves but you will know who did it for the athorities to persue.
forest.c

HuZzEy

them shipping containers make good apartment buildings also. google it

Taylortractornut

Trail Cams and   a master switch are  good things.   I built a wheel lock one time for a friends tractor.       Its  just a long steel pipe   that goes unde rthe tractor and locks to the wheel.
My overload permit starts after sunset

Woodhog

www.unitracking.com/

You might want to look at this type of stuff, there are a lot of outfits offering this type of tracking service to trucking companies etc. Some use satellites some use cell phones..

Here if they don't steal it they will try to set it on fire or shoot up the tires etc. 

You cannot leave anything laying around at all, it is a major concern in a business that is marginal at the best of times.

trooperTdiesel

add a bat cut out switch in a hidden location.
or do something to stop the power to the injection pump or spark plugs.
its hard to take something that is several tons or more, that will not run.

sadly as to smaller stuff this will not work.

you could leave a gas can filled with diesel for them  :D
or the other way around.... :)
many Garrett 15s
have a 128 5'x10'x30' MD mill.
as well as worked at Mobile MFG CO in troutdale, OR for the last 1.5 years before doors closed.
you say David Wallace to Ron H, he will know me....lol
2 JD 440 loaders, B7100 tractor, 3 350 J\D dozers 
and many fords and isuzus

acco1840

In my case with my old S7 skidder, I simply take the AeroStart home with me. Detroits don't start without it. :D

captain_crunch

Sad Part half the thiefs are unemployed opperators and know all the tricks mentioned above
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bull

Time to start spraying bullets......  Only takes a couple dead theives for others to get the hint !!!   
8) 8)    You could start with  broken arms and legs and the oops he fell routine or better yet drop a tree on them !!  >:( >:( :o

sparky1

Shaun J

Coon

I'd like to take some of these thieves and hook a choker cable around one of their legs and head down the longest and roughest skid trail dragging them behind until they are near dead then make em walk home.   :D  :D  Just heard of more damage tonight to someone that I knows equipment.  :(   >:(   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

madmari

If you can manage to have the mutts caught, prosecute them by legal means. Stay in touch with the prosecutor and let them know that you wish to be heard at sentencing. Let the judge (and jury) know that the vandalism has taken food from your table due to the mutts disrespect for the property of others. Let them know how hard you've worked for what you have.
  You'll feel alot better having had your chance to speak, the mutt will be there while you look him in the eye and you can sleep well knowing that  the law isn't looking for you because the mutt reported you for assault- and he will.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Thank You Sponsors!