iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili recipes

Started by Dave Shepard, November 21, 2007, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

No one has discussed chili yet, so I thought I'd start. I love chili, all kinds, with meat, without, with beans, or without. I know that every region has their own idea of what "real" chili is. I want to make some myself, I never have before. Anyone have a favorite recipe they'd like to share? Cornbread or crackers is also a must for chili.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

There was a brief discussion on another thread recently but what the heck. Chili is one of my favorite foods too and I can make it. :D Brown extra lean ground beef in the frying pan along with mushrooms, onions, and garlic. That goes into the pot with a can of drained red kidney beans, a can of tomato sauce or paste, 1/2 cup of water if using the paste, some chopped tomato (really adds flavor) and spices to taste.  Let it simmer for at least an hour, more is better, and add water if it gets too dry. A tossed salad, corn bread, I like garlic toast, and you have a meal fit for a king especially on a cold day. Roxie adds Charlie's home made salsa, that sounds interesting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Furby

There's a thread in the crash archives food section with a couple recipes in it. :)
https://forestryforum.com/board2/index.php?topic=339.0

Polly

8) 8) this is the way a cook at local resturant told it to me when i commented how good his chile was and ask how he made it he said he took all leftovers from the day before put in a pot added water and warmed it up  :) :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Polly

i guess each part of the country has their favorite chile resipee cincinnati ohio chile i dont like i kind of lean to the hotter seasioned versions ::) ::) 8)     

LeeB

Saute onions and garlic in the pot.Dredge coarse ground venison lightly in flour and brown in the same pot. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano or italian seasoning, a dash of worshestisher, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil to release the seasonings and simmer as long as you can stay out of it, adding water when needed to keep it from burning. I like it a little soupy for eating with corn bread and dryer for hot dogs or Freeto pie.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roxie

Sawguy, I'm not the one that added Charlie's Salsa to my chili...I think it was Patty.  It does sound like a good idea though. 

I like Chili real thick and served over broad egg noodles.  I just use browned ground beef, and browned loose sausage, kidney beans, onions, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water, chopped jalapeno's and chili powder. 
Say when

Patty

We started adding Charlie's salsa to our chili a couple years ago. It really adds pizazz to the taste, but it is certainly not mandatory.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Engineer

Chili is not one of may favorite foods, I guess I've had it more ways than I can think of and most of it not too good.   BUT, My personal favorite is very coarsely ground or even chopped beef, tomato paste, hot peppers, onion, garlic chili powder, masa, and some cumin.  NO beans.  I can't stand beans in chili.  But once in a while I'll add some 'acini di pepe' which is a very tiny tubular pasta to some of the leftover chili to stretch it a little.

Also no point in eating chili or most any soup the day it's made.  Got to let it sit overnight for flavor.

Weekend_Sawyer

I like to make chili. It's one of my favorite dishes.
I always start out the same using my big cast iron pot.

Some bacon drippings in the pot.
Brown ground beef, sausage, kelbasa, whatever I have.
add chopped onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, jalipenos.
Add canned tomatoes.
Spice with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, italian seasoning and sugar (taks some of the acid out and adds a real good flavor).

Serve with a pan of corn bread made using the recipe on the side of a bag of Indian Head corn meal.

On Friday's we have a dinner and a movie at someone's house. This Friday it is my turn and I just came up with the menu ;D

What movie goes best with chili and corn bread?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Engineer

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 03, 2007, 08:05:12 AM
What movie goes best with chili and corn bread?

High Noon, Rio Bravo, The Magnificent Seven...  good westerns.

Oh, I got one.  Blazing Saddles.  ;D  Extra beans in the chili...

LeeB

" I think you boys have had enough beens".  :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Weekend_Sawyer

Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo and El Dorado, As I remember these three were basically the same movie.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!