iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing white cedar power poles

Started by millwright, July 27, 2011, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millwright

I just took ownership of quite a bunch of cedar power poles. These are pretty good sized ones, what I plan to do is cut off the bottom 16feet and saw that part and that will still leave me with over 20 feet left to use for poles. These are really clean and have already been gone over for metal. The butt ends are about 20 inch average. I would like to know if there is anything special to be aware of before sawing this stuff besides looking for imbedded metal.

redbeard

Anytime I saw poles I wear long sleaves,mask and gloves. Also find a home for the sawdust and tailings there can be some kind of treatment in them. The poles in my area are treated especially the fir poles. I stay away from those. The cedar ones are hard to find around here and they are fairly clean of chemicals.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

Being the bottom 8' or so are treated heavy wouldn't you want to use them for poles and the tops for lumber.  I'd try and stay away from sawing that bottom 8' .  I've sawed quite a few poles and it went good, once or twice hit a small rock caught in a crack as can happen with any log.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!