iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steady hand, good eyes and he did it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 22, 2015, 09:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Kirk and I were sawing today and the small pin broke that holds the gear that moves the guide arm in and out.\
I held the light and Kirk was able to replace the new pin without taking anything apart.
Took about 3 minutes.
Sure beats removing the whole motor, bracket and having the psi handle flop around. :)

You can see the pin if ya look close.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bandmill Bandit

There is a woodmizer upgrade to that little problem that has fixed that issue permanently for me so far. Been about 2 years and about 800 hours of sawing since I installed it. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Even a good man needs someone to hold da light.   smiley_lit_bulb
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I've replaced that little guy a couple of times. I keep a bunch of them on hand.

Bandmill Bandit, what is the update part?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

It may happen tomorrow, but I have never broken that roll pin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 23, 2015, 08:55:25 PM
It may happen tomorrow, but I have never broken that roll pin.

It happens.  >:(

Nomad

I've replaced that pin a couple times.  It's nice to know it can be done without taking things apart next time.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

I replace the pin without taking it apart all the time. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Hats off to your friend I couldn't do it with a goat watching.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 24, 2015, 06:30:44 AM
I replace the pin without taking it apart all the time. ;D

If you're replacing your pin "all the time".....somethings wrong with your alignment.  :D

Magicman

He is sawing too many Pine Logs.   :D

Bandmill Bandit

The upgrade kit includes a new shaft with a flat spot machined onto it and then a set screw in the new sprocket as mentioned above. Would have to check with woodmizer but I am pretty sure it is a higher grade of steel too. I also used high strength lock tight on mine when I installed it.

I am gona look for the invoice so I can give the kit part number here.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

customsawyer

The new one on the LT70s has the same shaft as before but there is a threaded set screw on both sides of the sprocket.  I used to have to replace mine about every 150 hours or so. This new one has been going for almost 800 hours.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Hope I don't jynx myself, but something must need alignment for that pin breaking to be so common.

My mill now has over 2,500 hours on it, and I've never had any trouble with the pin.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chuck White on October 24, 2015, 07:37:10 PM

My mill now has over 2,500 hours on it, and I've never had any trouble with the pin.

Are you sawing or just letting your mill set and run?  :D

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Chuck White on October 24, 2015, 07:37:10 PM
Hope I don't jynx myself, but something must need alignment for that pin breaking to be so common.

Pretty sure it isnt an alignment issue at all. just a slight loose fit with out the set screws lock tight would probably solve the issue just as well

terrifictimbersllc

Debris jamming  rhe tiny space between guide block and roller can  cause the blade to pull the arm when engaging the clutch. If the blade  guide arm rollers are a little bit loose that can yank the arm hard for some distance. I think this can break the pin. Maybe there are other reasons too.

Nomad

Jamming the arm into the log puts a lot of stress on it (an "oops.")  Jamming the arm all the way open does the same thing.  (Much more common.)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: nomad on October 24, 2015, 08:58:44 PM
     Jamming the arm into the log puts a lot of stress on it (an "oops.")  Jamming the arm all the way open does the same thing.  (Much more common.)

x10

Magicman

Y'all probably saw into your side supports too.   :D   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bandmill Bandit

drobertson

Steady hand and a good eye for sure, done it before, an extra hand would've been nice ;D  it took a little better than 3 min for me :D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

After multiple trimmings, some side supports are only a few inches tall.   :D

Ga Mtn Man

So are you less likely to hit them as they get shorter?  I'd like to think there is some hope out there.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

MartyParsons

Hello,
You can solve the pin falling out by replaceing the old gear with the new and improved style. They removed the spring roll pin and put two set screws on each side. Note that there is a pin mounted to the screw. Lock Tite works on the screws.  ;) blue

Before this change I would wire the pin. Thread the wire through the pin and wrap it around the gear. At this point the gear and the motor shaft is worn and should be replaced. But you can keep it in operation until the part arrives.

If the pin brakes more than once the rollers are tight on the arm on another binding issue.

Marty
Part # P09970  $ 6.95 each.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on October 26, 2015, 09:08:13 AM
So are you less likely to hit them as they get shorter?  I'd like to think there is some hope out there.
No. A couple of weeks ago mine were only 3 inches up and one of them still managed to jump up and grab the blade.  smiley_hellow_im_here  Hint you don't have to saw them down you can just lower them, this will save some blades at least.

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Marty
Thanks a bunch for posting the upgrade Kit part number. I just haven't had a chance to look for it.

4x4American

I'm willing to bet it's from jamming it open or closed.  In the picture, its that roll pin is sheared off?
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 4x4American on October 26, 2015, 09:02:27 PM
I'm willing to bet it's from jamming it open or closed.  In the picture, its that roll pin is sheared off?

It happened when I was attempting to pass a knot that I should have chain sawed off ahead of time.
You're actually looking at the new pin already installed.

Kbeitz

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 26, 2015, 08:28:40 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on October 26, 2015, 09:08:13 AM
No. A couple of weeks ago mine were only 3 inches up and one of them still managed to jump up and grab the blade.  smiley_hellow_im_here  Hint you don't have to saw them down you can just lower them, this will save some blades at least.

It's real easy to make a pusher in front of your blade that will hit the side supports before the blade.
It will eather stop the mill or push down the side supports.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

You will loose some of your throat capacity that way on a WM, and you won't push down a hydraulic support.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MartyParsons

Hello,
This thread is jumping around. The picture of the gear and the screw on only one side of the pin is on the allen wrench. The new design has two set screws on each side. No more roll pin.
Understand?

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

new is good, but have to say, I've never seen much of an issue with the existing roll pin design,  other than at times through the winter when frozen conditions are present.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

highleadtimber16

I finally welded mine onto the shaft. It's never coming loose again. ;D
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Ga Mtn Man

My blade guide stopped moving yesterday so I thought I was gonna get a chance to see if my hands were goat-steady.  Well, when the sprocket fell off with the first tap on the pin punch I realized there was more going on than just a sheared pin... the shaft was broken at the pin hole  :(.  With the motor off of the drive chain, I tugged on the blade guide arm and found it was pretty hard to move.  I must have over-tightened the rollers when I did an alignment a few months ago .  I think this may have caused the shaft failure.  I find it difficult to tell when the rollers are tight enough but not too tight  ???. 

So... I'll be ordering a shaft and new-design sprocket tomorrow.   Did the shaft get re-designed too?  I recall seeing a post here on the forum that it did, but I can't find the post.       
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 26, 2015, 09:38:00 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on October 26, 2015, 09:02:27 PM

It happened when I was attempting to pass a knot
Be prepared for adventure on the goat path, roll pins being just one possibility. 🐐

Thank You Sponsors!