iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DIY mill

Started by schmism, March 06, 2016, 08:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmism

Lets say you could buy a 20" powermatic band saw on CL for $750.

Any good reason not to use this for a base for a DIY build....

already has 20" wheels on bearings
already has wheel tracking mechanism built in
already has blade guides built
already has drive pulley/bearings
already has a metric ton of sheet metal for guards

I could streach the existing casting 8" for a standard 158" band.....
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Ljohnsaw

Couple things come to mind.

Never seen a Powermatic band saw but if it is built like their table saws, it has to be pretty darn heavy.  Are you going to run the saw on a track or go old-school circle saw and put the logs on a track?

Have you thought about having to run blade lube (water/diesel oil)?  What will that do the saw?

Assuming you are going to continue to run as electric.  How big is the motor?  I found 2.5 hp electric not enough.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

schmism

Its a band saw, so instead of being vertical i was going to build a 2(4) post head lay it on its side build a track.

New Gas engine to be used instead of the 1.5hp 220v it has.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

gfadvm

Do you think that bandsaw can tension the blade sufficiently to function as a sawmill? The band on my LT15 is tensioned A LOT tighter than the band on my 17" bandsaw. This may explain why "blade drift" is a bigger problem in bandsaws than with bandmills.

fishpharmer

schmism, you won't ever know for sure until you try it.  Many a bandmill has been built using bandsaw parts.  There is a youtube channel that shows how a fella successfully built a working bandsaw mill from a 14" bandsaw.  I think the channel name is bluemgyver.  If I find it I will post it here.  Wrong channel it is this one, johncornelius

http://youtu.be/ZPDhkp2djQ0
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

york

Hi all,
In your new Grizzly catalog,on page 111,have a look-they already did what your talking about,but is a resaw,your idea is valid.....
Albert

Thank You Sponsors!