iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill!

Started by ncsawyer, February 22, 2015, 10:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

I have been contemplating updating my 94 LT 40 Manual to a new LT 40 Hydraulic for some time.  Will probably place my order in the next week or so. I am almost certain I will go with the 35.9 Yanmar.  It seems like 9 out of 10 jobs I do will have at least one 32+ inch log of some description. What is your experience with this little diesel? Will it handle the .055 blades?  Is it turbo charged?  Is it worth the extra coin over the gas?  I also see on the WM website that the LT40 manual has the 47 HP Yanmar as an option. Why not offer the bigger engine on the hydraulic mill?  It's offered on the super hydraulic as well.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ncsawyer

I usually keep a check out CL.  Hadn't seen this one yet.  I'll have to give that guy a call. Thanks!
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Chuck White

You'll saw a lot more lumber in a days time when you get the hydraulic mill, but mostly you'll feel a lot less aches and pains at the end of the day!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Finn1903

If your going with a new mill, why not go with a super hydraulic with the 47 hp?  That will pull any band you will likely be using.  You are welcome to take a run up I-40 and check out my mill.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Magicman

You will never regret getting the larger Diesel, but you will if you get less.  Neither would you ever regret getting the SuperHydraulic.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Not seeing that the LT40 Manual has the 47HP diesel option, just 35HP diesel.   Added 47HP option to the super may be marketing or it also may be something else like having a heavier up/down gearbox/chain , heavier alternator etc.  DOn't know the answer, suggest you ask WM.

IMO if you're in business with the machine get the Super and the 47HP, debarker and Lube-Mizer.  These options pay you, not cost you.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

Quote from: Finn1903 on February 23, 2015, 04:18:27 PM
If your going with a new mill, why not go with a super hydraulic with the 47 hp?  That will pull any band you will likely be using.  You are welcome to take a run up I-40 and check out my mill.

I would love to upgrade to the super hydraulic.  The LT 40 Hydraulic with the diesel and debarker is $33,000 including tax.  The super hydraulic is about $45k.  I just run mine on the weekends and work my day job during the week.  It would take a long time for the increased efficiency of the super hydraulic over the hydraulic to make up the price difference in my situation.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

SPD748

All this talk of Super 40's has me skipping over to Woodmizer's site and playing with the 'build it' tool. I wouldn't sell my circle mill for anything but I'd love to have a portable bandsaw to add to the stable. Good luck with your choice and purchase!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ncsawyer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 23, 2015, 04:32:30 PM
Not seeing that the LT40 Manual has the 47HP diesel option, just 35HP diesel.   Added 47HP option to the super may be marketing or it also may be something else like having a heavier up/down gearbox/chain , heavier alternator etc.  DOn't know the answer, suggest you ask WM.

IMO if you're in business with the machine get the Super and the 47HP, debarker and Lube-Mizer.  These options pay you, not cost you.

http://woodmizer.com/configurator/model.aspx?item=LT40G26&engine=G26&id=LT40

The build and price app show the larger diesel option on the manual mill. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Finn1903

Quote from: SPD748 on February 23, 2015, 06:44:32 PM
All this talk of Super 40's has me skipping over to Woodmizer's site and playing with the 'build it' tool. I wouldn't sell my circle mill for anything but I'd love to have a portable bandsaw to add to the stable. Good luck with your choice and purchase!

-lee
Lee,
And I would love to have a circular mill for the custom projects where people want to see the circular marks.  To bad we were not neighbors, we would save each other another investment.
Tom
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

prittgers

I'm betting you will LOVE that little Yanmar.  Very smooth operation.  Not too noisy.  Very reliable.

And maybe try some of the new bi-metal blades as an alternative to the .055s.  The Yanmar can certainly handle the thicker blades, though.

Having a sharpener/setter makes running the .055's more economical since a person can run them for 1-1/2 to 2 hours and lightly grind them which removes the gullet cracks.

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ncsawyer on February 23, 2015, 06:47:40 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 23, 2015, 04:32:30 PM

http://woodmizer.com/configurator/model.aspx?item=LT40G26&engine=G26&id=LT40

The build and price app show the larger diesel option on the manual mill.
Looks like you're right, guess you'd have to ask about the std. hydraulic/47 combination.  But myself I couldn't stand it with one hydraulic pump, done it a few times when a pump was down and slow slow slow.  But  I see where you're coming from with the cost of a new mill & your current situation.   
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ga Mtn Man

If you can afford it get the diesel.  I frequently find myself wishing for more power.

FYI, it isn't all that difficult or expensive to add a second pump to a standard LT40HD.  If you add a second pump you will also need to change the alternator to a CS140, change a number of the hydraulic lines, and go to a larger battery (or add a second battery).  Of course adding a second pump doesn't make your mill a real "Super" as you won't have the larger up/down and fwd/rev motors (and any other differences that I may not be aware of ???).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

ncsawyer

Most of the time I saw for customers at their place and they provide the help.  When this is the case, the speed of my mill is hardly ever the limiting factor.  It's usually the help. ;D
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Buck

NC, keep an eye on the sawmill exchange.  There are some good mills out there on the used market.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

samandothers

Go see Joe and the folks at Woodmizer in Albemarle! They'll fix ya up!

ncsawyer

Quote from: samandothers on February 25, 2015, 09:21:14 PM
Go see Joe and the folks at Woodmizer in Albemarle! They'll fix ya up!

I ordered my new mill this morning!  8) Now time to play the waiting game, should be at Wood-Mizer in Albemarle on March 18th.  I ended up going with the LT-40 Hydraulic with the 35 Yanmar.  Got a sawing job waiting for me as soon as it gets here.  Once I get caught up then I'll get to put it to work on my logs so I can finish my two building projects.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Billikenfan

Awesome.   Did they have to build it or was it in stock.  What options did you get besides the diesel engine. 

Scott
2015 Woodmizer LT40  Hydraulic 35hp
Mountain Home Firewood Kiln. Beaver Wood Eater Firewood Processer.  John Deere 260 Skid Steer.

ncsawyer

Quote from: Billikenfan on February 26, 2015, 06:22:27 PM
Awesome.   Did they have to build it or was it in stock.  What options did you get besides the diesel engine. 

Scott

They had one scheduled to be shipped in about 3 weeks.  I just got all the standard options plus the debarker.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

samandothers

Congratulations that was quick!

ncsawyer

I have a few questions about the options that will be coming standard on my new mill. 

My new mill will come with "simple set" and the auto clutch standard.  Of course my old mill had neither of these.  From looking on Wood-Mizer's website it seems that "simple set" only drops the head by a set board thickness and I have to determine where to begin my first cut to insure my last board is the correct thickness.  Is this correct?

Also when cutting with my old mill (without auto clutch) I disengaged the blade at the end of each cut.  It seems that this method of cutting would cause the auto clutch system to wear out prematurely.  I have noticed that in a lot of videos sawyers will leave the blade engaged for multiple cuts and only disengage the blade when turning the log or performing other tasks.  To me this seems like it could present a safety issue and also would increase fuel consumption.  How does Wood-Mizer recommend utilizing the auto clutch system?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ga Mtn Man

To answer your first question, yes you are correct.

The auto clutch is a fairly simple and robust mechanism and I don't recall ever hearing of anyone wearing one out.  Keeping it engaged or not is a matter of personal preference and you'll hear good arguments for both sides.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

You will quickly learn your starting points when sawing various lumber thicknesses.  Developing a cheat sheet is a simple matter.

I disengage the auto clutch at the end of each cut.  Other sawyers may not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

Thanks for the replies.  My old mill has a sliding quarter scale that makes it real easy to determine where to start your first cut.  I would assume the new mills have the same. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

Yes it should have a quarter scale on it, which might give you a good idea where to start
Boy, back in my day..

ncsawyer

With my new mill on its way this week...I had to say good bye to my old mill.  Well...I guess I could always have two mills, but I can't run but one at the time and I the extra cash is always nice.

I delivered it to its new owner way up in New York today.  This normally would have been a 10 hour drive, but the fog was so bad last night going up through Scranton PA that you couldn't even see the lines on the road!  It ended up taking me 12 hours and every second of drive time was in the rain!  >:(

2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

I know them drives...seems like every time I come back from Vermont I have a hard time seeing.  Fog, alternator went out, batteries dead don't have headlights, Jesicca Simpson dancing on my hood, always something coming back from VT. 
Boy, back in my day..

tmarch

Quote from: 4x4American on March 14, 2015, 08:16:27 PM
I know them drives...seems like every time I come back from Vermont I have a hard time seeing.  Fog, alternator went out, batteries dead don't have headlights, Jesicca Simpson dancing on my hood, always something coming back from VT.
Heck if that was the case I'd sure stop and watch her. 8) 8)
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!