iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs to lumber aerial video

Started by AK Newbie, November 05, 2015, 11:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK Newbie

This YouTube video of a large sawmill operation in Colville Washington is pretty cool...

http://youtu.be/NvbgwdTGoyo
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

That could be labeled "why we can not compete with Box Store framing lumber".   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

It also is a great illustration of why the big money prefers plantations over forests.

It's becoming a pecker pole world out there.  They have even started doing thirty year rotation here.

You know what happens to the logs too big for the automated mills?

Global Wisdom
(all the way down to the keel)

W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

It takes a lot of wood to pay for an operation like that. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

fishpharmer

And I thought I knew what a big sawmill operation looks like.  I find some irony in the ships name "Global Wisdom."  ;D. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

never finished

That looks a lot like my operation. Now all I need to do is stand on top of a ladder and take some pictures.

Grizzly

Quote from: never finished on November 06, 2015, 04:37:40 PM
That looks a lot like my operation. Now all I need to do is stand on top of a ladder and take some pictures.

:D :D :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 08:21:55 AM
That could be labeled "why we can not compete with Box Store framing lumber".   :-\

True, but it's amazing how close we can get.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Peter Drouin

Nice video.

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 06, 2015, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 08:21:55 AM

True, but it's amazing how close we can get.

smiley_thumbsup ,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Here the customer is better off to sell the SYP logs and buy framing lumber.  That being said, the great majority of my sawing is beetle killed SYP which can not be sold so the customer is salvaging what he can.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

big time,  I have seen some very nice construction grade lumber from these big mills, as well as the bad, but really more good than bad, big money, which feeds lots of families, from loggers to truckers, mill workers, retails, the list goes on,  it works.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Board Cutter

I was amazed how few workers are required.  I imagine those that have jobs are paid well, but sad that mechanization has taken away so many jobs.  Of course we all want everything as inexpensive as possible creating a double edged sword.
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

SineWave

Cool video. That's a serious operation ... looks like they probably need a constant rotation of rail cars just to haul away all the sawdust and chips!

Got wood?  ;D

ncsawyer

That is truly an amazing operating.  Their marginal cost per board foot is probably one of the lowest in the world. 

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 08:31:05 PM
Here the customer is better off to sell the SYP logs and buy framing lumber.  That being said, the great majority of my sawing is beetle killed SYP which can not be sold so the customer is salvaging what he can.

I tend to agree with MM.  Its hard to justify cutting 2x4 studs when the customer can go to Builder's Discount and buy them cheaper than what I would charge to saw them, however when cutting larger dimension framing lumber, 2x8's and larger, the customer can usually have them sawn cheaper than they can buy them.  The cost per board foot goes up with the dimension of the lumber at the box stores, but I charge the same board foot rate whether I am cutting 2x4's or 2x24's. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Ljohnsaw

Amazing - and amazing what drones have done to video making.  Dimension wood (2x4, 2x6, 2x8, 2x10) here is just about all the same BF price, until you go long, like over 16' or into timbers, it starts to jump.  But you have to spend a LONG time finding the stuff that is worth using.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!