iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fan replacement

Started by Bill Gaiche, March 05, 2014, 09:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

I ordered two solar powered fans and today I installed them. Replaced the two 120v fans that I have used for 2 years. I changed because the only elec I used was for the kiln on my 10 acres. It averages about $28.00 a month for elec. The new fans have 27 watt solar panels each.It was mostly cloudy when I installed them and as soon as I hooked them up they started right up. I was surprised how well they ran with little sun. They should pay for themselves in about 11 months versus 120v fans. Time will tell how well they do. bg

YellowHammer

Would you tell us a little more about the fans? Size, CFM? Where you bought them?
Thanks
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andy White

Bill,
Good job on the fans. It won't be long now that you will be Off Grid like those guys in Alaska! I will be watching this modification for long term results. I will be mounting my fans this weekend, weather permitting, and running conduit for the power.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Bill Gaiche

This is the fans I bought. Bought from a different place though (Amazon). bg
http://randsolar.com/shop/rand-solar-powered-attic-gable-fan-27-watt/

sawwood

Bill would like to see some photos of your new fans and how many did you install ? I sure could use that type
on our kiln as we have to run a line out for electric. Also when JR goes to Texas i could still run the kiln.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Bill Gaiche

Sawwood, I was over there today and had my camera, but didn't think to take photos. There are two fans. I will be back over there soon 14 miles from home, and I will get you one. bg

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The solar panel is a good idea.

To keep things in perspective, the VT design for 16' long lumber suggests 3 20" box fans, which each use 122 watts (about 1.1 amps at 120 v).  So, the kiln needs about 366 watts of electricity for the fans for every hour they are running.

Air speed does control the drying speed above 20% MC, so using lower power fans will result in slower drying for wetter lumber.  For air dried wood, the smaller fans will provide about the same drying speed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Red Good

Bill if your going over and want a hand for a bit or company give me a call and I will go with you or meet you there . 1-918-479-4200 Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Bill Gaiche

Red, I may go over later one day this coming week. Will give you a call. bg

ARp

Bill,

Way to get off the grid.  What i like is that they take care of themselves, run when there is light and stop at night.

Way to go Bill.  Allen

Bill Gaiche

Well I went over yesterday and forgot camera, so I went back today with camera. bg

Andy White

Bill,
Once again, you've outdone yourself!!! Great looking job on the collector rack. It's even painted to match. I'll be watching for long term results and will probably do some of that. Take care, and we will talk later.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

CharlieP

Bill I seen this was written 3 years ago, I am starting on my solar kiln now, my question is how have these fan worked out for you, was 2 the rite amount or did you have to go to 3 of them ? And have you had any problems with them ?
   Thank you.

Thank You Sponsors!