iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New sawmill on the way!

Started by busenitzcww, March 30, 2019, 11:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

I've been lurking here for a month or two and been reading a lot of the threads here, but figured I'd introduce myself.

So, I'm a one man shop and my main gig is custom furniture and cabinets. I grew up on a farm and still help out during harvest time. Having access to farm ground means there's access to trees as a lot of it is bottom/creek ground. In the past I've harvested quite a few oak,walnut, walnut and ash trees and had a local sawyer come mill them for me. Recently the farm purchased some more ground that has a lot of timber, and some of it is ready for harvest. Also we got a escavator to clear some of the overgrown edges of the field. Some of the trees I cut are not the nicest sawlogs but I figured it's better than seeing them shoved into a brush pile. I thought about hiring someone to come out again but figured why not get my own mill and do it myself on my schedule. So I put in an order for a Wood-Mizer LT 15 wide 3 phs electric here about a month ago and hopefully they'll have it done here in a couple weeks! I already have a rotary phase converter, so it will be a matter of running a new line to where my mill will be setup close to the shop.
I have a lean to on my shop that I cleaned out and added some gravel screenings to make it a bit more level for stacking my wood to dry. I'm also considering some sort of kiln in the future, both solar or powered, as I would like to make quite a few slabs. All in all I'm excited about the whole process and trying to plan things out ahead of time, so I'm sure I'll have more questions before it's all said and done!  Jesse

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. You will like sawing. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dbroswoods

Welcome to the madness!!! Running a mill sure gets in your blood.

That's some fine looking Walnut. Should make some nice lumber and slabs😃😃

Mark

Escavader

I'm running the electric lt 15 it's real nice it doesn't die down.you won't need the clutch with electric I just shut it off
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Southside

Welcome to the Forum. Nice looking logs. Where are you located? The second picture suggests you are in the southern hemisphere.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jimparamedic

Welcome and enjoy. Just an FYI we love pictures

donbj

That second picture. How do those logs stay on that flat deck without being strapped down?
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

busenitzcww

Escavader, does your LT 15 have enough power? I was wondering if the wide model would have enough power or if I might want to go to a 15-20 HP motor down the road? Or maybe I'll be ready to get a new/bigger mill by then. ;D 
I'm from Whitewater, Ks which is close to Wichita. And yes, I think winter is finally over!!! Although we did have a few snowflakes this morning :-[

The logs are just sitting on the trailer, but there is 3" pipe on the outside edge. I only hauled them two miles and didn't feel like strapping them down so I just went slow and took my time.

busenitzcww

Quote from: jimparamedic on March 30, 2019, 02:11:56 PM
Welcome and enjoy. Just an FYI we love pictures
Haha I love looking at other people's pics as well so here are a few more.

This is a oak log I pulled out of the creek. It seems halfway solid yet but I'm anxious to see how the inside really is. The hollow end only goes in a foot or so.

This is an ash log I cut down for a sawyer who also has a goat dairy. He said they were making racks to store the cheese, and needed a neutral/non scented wood, so as to not effect the cheese flavor.

A big hedge stump. Hoping to get some nice slabs out of this log. Stilh 661 + 36" bar

Found this hedge burl while cutting firewood one day. I'm not sure how I should process/use it. I ran it across the jointer a few times just to see under the bark.

Mike W

busenitzcww,

I own a LT15 Wide with the 25 HP, haven't had any issues with the power thus far, albeit the widest I have cut to date is roughly 32" cut, still performed as expected.  Not sure on the electric, but you should do very well with it, especially that you already have a RPC.  

BTW, welcome to the FF, lots of good info and peeps here on this site I have found so far, although some are quick to give a bit of a ribbing here and there, all in good fun, we all do things that deserve a good laugh at by others one way or the other, in fact a thread was started about "did something dumb today" which I am sure we could all contribute to if not daily, possibly weekly if we are doing anything at all that is.  case in point donbj referencing the second photo of the trailer load being upside down, how the logs remained on said trailer. :D

Anyway, welcome again and keep the photo's coming, look forward to your post when you finally get the mill and up and running, making sawdust and possibly some boards to boot.  8)

WV Sawmiller

Mike,

Remember he is using a 3 phase electric motor not a gas powered motor as I read his intro if that makes any difference.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Congratulations and welcome to the forum 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

busenitzcww

L

ok, figured out how to orient my photos the right way! Sorry for aall of yo who were having to look at your screen upside down!

Woodpecker52

Nice looking osage orange ( Original "yeller wood" trademark)!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

busenitzcww

Finally got my mill home! Now to get it setup and make some sawdust. Problem is it's a little chaotic right now on the main business side of things :-\ and I wanna make sawdust tomorrow lol

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

busenitzcww

Cut my first log up last night! Had a small walnut I pulled out of the burn pile, and ended up getting a 7x7 beam out of it. It was fun just to play around and figure the controls out. First observation is the electric is sooooo quiet! I've helped tailgun for two other sawyers with gas, and hearing protection is just a must, but this thing just whispers! Got some cant hooks on the way as I found that moving/turning even a small log is a lot of work! Can't wait to play with it more but I got projects that need to get finished first  :-\.

jimparamedic

If it will make a good 4x4 I run it through the mill I've got some nice boards that way. saves on splitting too

Thank You Sponsors!