iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Day Cutting Wood

Started by lxskllr, October 13, 2018, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

Finally got to get some saw time in. First time since spring Had mixed results. Was using my PoulanPro, and it still isn't running quite right. I'll give it another tank of gas before I start tearing into it. Also, my new 16" bar doesn't seem to be oiling well either. I'll have to really compare it with the stock bar, and maybe make some modifications.

I took down my small cherry, and it would have been a great youtube fail video, aside from the lack of carnage. It had a 20" trunk, with three leaders coming off. I decided it would be best to cut the leaders before taking it down. Problem was the leaders were upper chest height, and I was having trouble getting good notches. One leader went exactly where I wanted it to go, but one went exactly opposite, and the other went 45° off line :rollseyes: Lesson learned. I should have removed it from the bottom. It was too high to cut accurately, and work hasn't given me the upper body workout it has in years past.

Some here might be aware of my interest in climbing...

Tree Climbing in Forestry and Logging

I decided to try putting on the spurs to see what it felt like. No saddle or flipline. I just wanted to get on the base of the tree I'm removing to get a feel for it. Felt pretty good, so I saddled up, and climbed a bit. I'm like a cat up in the tree. I go up pretty well, but everything else is a little iffy  :^D  I took my silky up, and removed some limbs. It was really kicking my butt, and I didn't want to overdo it. Need to save some fun for cooler weather.

I got my feet 8'-10' off the ground. I'm about halfway to where I need to be. I can move around /ok/, but after I've planted myself to remove limbs, the spurs really bury, and it's some effort to get them unstuck. Definitely not ready to take a chainsaw into the tree. One spur was digging into my ankle, and by the time I got down, my knees were starting to hurt. I doubt I was up there a 1/2 hour. Much respect for the guys doing this all day as a job.

I'm fairly pleased with my first spur climbing outing. Helps make up for the cherry fiasco. Definitely need to get myself in better shape. Looking forward to the coming cool weather season. Tomorrow I'm gonna split and stack the cherry I took down. Thanks to everyone who's given me advice, whether they know it or not  :^)

lxskllr

Another day climbing. Doubled my distance from last time, and I was toting my new echo instead of a handsaw. A little disappointed cause I didn't finish. It's all easier in my head than it is in real life  :^P  I was getting tired, and the addition of a chainsaw added complexity. Sprinkle in a touch of fear, and I figured I'd save some for another day. I have forever, so there's no point in pushing too hard. That's how mistakes happen.

Mishaps...

Vines were a pain, and I dropped the saw once. My paracord lanyard held, but I need to make it a touch shorter. I bought light cord specifically for this, in safety green. Eyeballing, and factoring in knots, I think it's sufficiently strong, while also being sufficiently weak to break away if necessary.

Spurs are still sticking hard. Once I plant myself to cut, they don't want to let go. I spend more time trying to twist myself free than actual climbing.

Overall clumsiness... It's not feeling like second nature. I think I could do pretty well climbing up and down a perfectly clean spar, but factoring natural randomness, and doing work, I'm not feeling graceful. Need to get more comfortable in the tree.

I'm pleased with the new echo. It's light and nimble with the 16" bar. After I finished the climb, I took down a small poplar, and cut a burl off my fallen oak. It stumbled a bit on the burl. I had the bar fully buried, and had to let up pressure, but I think that's understandable. Found a cache of acorns inside the burl which amused me greatly. I saved some, though they're all cracked open. I'll put them in a little jar. Dunno what I'll do with the burl, but it won't get burned. I'll try to think of something within my ability to save it as a memento.

lxskllr

Done. I had my phone take autopics every 30sec, but they aren't worth uploading here. They don't look like much. Dropped my saw ~15' when it came off the tether, smashed my thumb, and made the worst felling cut ever known to chainsawing, but it came down exactly where I wanted it. I *really* need to work on getting the saw level. It looked right at the time, but after completion... A blind man could have done better.

My week of splitting is ruined due to the thumb. I don't think I'll be swinging a hammer any time soon unless I have to, but my new dawn redwood is placed, and the only mishap aside from those listed above is I broke off 8" of nearby cedar when I was dropping limbs. They're pretty hardy, so it should be fine.

Climbing is pretty hard. Takes a lot out of me, but a good experience, and worth buying the gear. Wouldn't change a thing  :^)

edit:
I can scroll through the pictures in my photo manager and it makes a stop motion video of the removal. If I scroll backward, I can reassemble the tree. That's giving me more amusement than it should. Simple minds...  :^D

timberlinetree

If ya  step in with the spikes instead of jabbing them in it goes better.  I would jab in deep when making a cut or tying in. Be careful when hugging the tree,that's when the spikes like to come out! Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!