iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dads antiques killed my video games

Started by Part_Timer, January 01, 2007, 08:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

I was working on the upstairs addition today when it dawned on me that my son had spent most fo the afternoon playing video games.  Well I went down and got him.  our conversation went something like this.

me:  Hay Zac drill the holes and run that romex for yours and your sisters room.
zac:  ok but the battery drill is dead
me: go get the other battery.
zac: it's dead too. I'll be down stairs waiting for it to charge since you have the extension cord on the compressor.
me:  go to the garage and get a brace and bit out of my shop.
zac:  a what and who from where ???
me:  the spinny handle thingy  and a cork screw bit.  ::) ::)
zac:  oh that thing. :(

zac ok that's done I'll be down stairs
me:  you remember how to wire up electrical outlets?
zac:  I think I do you want me to try  :( :(
me:  sure give it a shot and I'll check on you after the first one.

The slow quiet death of the video game.  Did you hear it?  It sounds just like a wood auger or wire strippers.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

WDH

The slow quiet death of the video game.  Did you hear it?  It sounds just like a wood auger or wire strippers.

I love it!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Fla._Deadheader

You're mean.  Looks like some child labor laws being abused, here.  ::) ::) :D :D

Bet the Batteries never got put on charge  ::) ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

What a good story, and on the first day of the year.  Betcha Zac talks about this one for years to come.

Thanks for sharing. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don_Papenburg

If that bit is sharp it will out last many chargings of that goofy battery drill thingy, and never need charging
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Faron

Way to go PT!!!   8) 8) 8) The abused kids are the ones that never get to learn things like that.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

pigman

I can hear it now. In 30 years Zac is telling his kids how he worked 30  hours drilling holes  with an antique drill in -40 degree F weather with 3 feet of snow on the floor.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

leweee

The original cordless tools....no batteries required. 8)
In the age of video games how many kids get this opportunity. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

logwalker

Think how many kids don't have a Dad at home to pick on them. Sorry, didn't mean to p-- on the party. 
Kids need that on so many levels. Pity the poor kid that grows up in an affluent enviornment too. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Burlkraft

Well Tom,

It looks like that upstairs remodel is coming along....... ;D ;D ;D

Where's the closet for Katie to hang that new mink coat.... :D   :D   :D   :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Cedarman

The high light of a 3 year old kids day is to have his dad ask him to get him the hammer from the tool box . Little kids love to help. Then get another tool.  And then, "let me start a nail for you and see if you can hit it".  A few nails, a few boards, smiles, smiles, smiles.

So start kids early helping out. They love to be included.  My youngest son, 19 puts in 8 to 10 hours at the mill and other work.  Headed to college next week.  He impresses me with what he can do now. 

I think somewhere inside kids play video games so that they have some sense of accomplishment when they finish a game or move to the next level.

Part Timer, good to give zac a chance to get that sense of accomplishment.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Part_Timer

Zac had a good time yesterday.  At least I hope he did.  Please don't take my first post wrong,  Zac is a hard worker, he does his own laundry, helps with the dishes,cooks when he can and helps out with the firewood end of things.  He has been chasing wire for me on this project for quite awhile.  It's just that some times the teenager comes out in him.  Part of it is my fault also, when I look at him I forget that he is just 14 and needs time to be a kid sometimes.  Last trip to the sezure doc put him at 6'2" and 210lbs.  When we get working I treat him like one of the guys just because of his size, I forget that he doesn't have the experiance to go with it.

I just found it funny that you can't drill holes with a battery drill, kinda like we had to show my daughter that you can cook hot dogs without a microwave.  It amazes me what kind of things kids just don't know.  You should have seen it when we were with out power for 5 days in that last ice storm.  " but dad what are we going to do all day with out power" :D :D :D

Well I'm glad you got a kick out if it I sure did,

FDH  :I'm sure there is some labor law being broken but hay it is his room after all. ;D
pig man  :I think that he'll add "and in the dark"
lewee  :I have lots of antiques  I mean cordless tools out in the shop. :D :D
Don :  Keeping him fed and charged is more expensive than the batteries I think  ::)
Burlkraft :Katie will have a closet before I get her enough mink to make a coat.  It's mink "5" tommy "0" to date.
Thanks to the rest of you also, I think I'll go pick on them some more tonight. ;) ;) ;)

Peterson 8" ATS.

Fla._Deadheader

P-T, just so's ya know, When we built our last house, in Ar. I would line up things for the kids (14) (15), to do when they got back from school. We lived on the farm at the time, 1 ½ miles away.  I would show them what to do, and then go work on other projects, like Block laying, pouring slab. You know  ::)

We had several rounds with them not paying attention, or just sloppy work. I knew they were inexperienced, also.  They got so accustomed to me fussin at 'em, it got to be a normal thing  ;D

Ther, in effect, built at least ½ the house, them selves, including decking the roof, shingling, building the furnace room, back filling the foundation walls, BY HAND. things like that.

One day, I raised a fuss with them, and called them down off the roof, just as they had finished the shingle ridge.

Their response : NOW What did we do wrong. ???
    Me -------------You guys have messed around here for several months.

Them-----------so ???

Me-------------Do you realize that in that time, you have actually BUILT a house ???
      Them-----------Looking at the house, then each other, then the house. ????????
                             Then, the biggest smiles you ever saw.  ::) ;D :D :D :D :D

They can do about anything they want to, NOW.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

My responses to your post were NOT meant to be offensive. It just brought back memories.  ;)  :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DR_Buck

Way to go!  Keep breaking those child labor laws.   It helps teach them what they want to be when they grow up.

When we built our last house our son was 13 years old in 7th grade.  He helped with most of the framing and finishing work.  But, his biggest contribution was wiring up 78 outlets and untold numbers of light switches by himself.  ;)   He was so good at it, that later in the school year one of his assignments was to demonstrate a skill to his classmates.   So he built a small portable wall section with outlet and switch boxs mounted on it and showed the class how to wire outlets and light switches. :)   I think he got an A+.  8)

Now he plays with electricity in much bigger ways as a nuclear reactor operator.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Part_Timer

FDH no offence taken at all in any way.  I'm just covering my bases in case he gets on here and reads it.  I just don't want him to think I'm jerking his chain yet again and again and again. :) but I am so get back to work zac ;) and quit playing on the computer :)  Glad you shared your walk down that memory lane.  Makes me feel like Katie and I are on the right track.

DRB  I've had about 6 breakers blow up on me in the plant I work in. I think I'll stay far,far away from the nuke plants :)
Peterson 8" ATS.

swampy

Oh yes all those memories. Just like the time pop came to the shop and said we are going to build a bandmill. I said I have never seen one and the next thing I saw was pictures. Just takes a little bit of time to figure things out before you start any project. Well except for slab coffee tables. Them I build as I go.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

pigman

Part_Timer, Fla_Deadheader, and Dr_Buck, you were better at getting your kids to help on your house than I was getting my kids to help on mine. Of course the oldest was only three when I finished it. ;D The stud wall interior next to me now is full of roofing nails where my first born practiced nailing. When I was just finishing the roof shingles I turned around to see the same 2 1/2 year old behind me with a hammer preparing to nail. Scared her mother to death. She could climb a ladder at 2 1/2, but she is now 31 and can't climb out of the window  on the ladder I have sitting there to elope. ::)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Cedarman

Part Timer, you're proud ain't cha?  Gotta right to be!
What I hate is that kids can work all day and still be ready to party at night and I'm ready for the easy chair.

SPIKER

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 01, 2007, 08:16:32 PM
  Bet the Batteries never got put on charge  ::) ::) :D :D

I bet the batteries won't be LEFT OFF CHARGE for a while after he got to working that good ole cordless drill ;) :D  heheh.

it is good to see young kids learning helping do stuff...   I'm working on my place pulled in 4~5 runs of wire today for wall outlets.lights.  all by my self.   yep its an accomplishment, but sure hard on the neck & back. hahaha..

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Corley5

My Zach is 4 and 1/2 now and is absolutely thrilled to be able to help me.  I had to change a headlight in the old GMC a few days ago and trying to hold the screwdriver, catch the screws and hold the flashlight was a bit too much.  Zach came out and held the light and actually held it in the spot where I needed it  ;) ;D.  When we were done he ran in and told his mother all about helping Dad  8) ;D ;D :) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I am enjoying this. Those times with kids are really special. Last weekend, our family was going through my uncle's garage looking for keepsakes, he was buried Friday. My cousin's adult son picked up an old 'cordless' drill and had no idea what he was looking at. His dad had to explain the plumbob too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

Back in FL., my son still has a lot of MY Grandfathers hand tools.  8) ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

thurlow

Did someone mention roofing;  my nephew had just turned 5 when he helped the whole clan re-shingle the roof on his grandmother's house last Spring.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Tom

Cedarman

When little kids are asked to help, help that is really needed,  they love it.  They never seem to misbehave while helping to do a job.  They feel wanted and loved. I still let my kids feel wanted and they are 19,20, 32, 37.

Thank You Sponsors!