iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If an American sells a piece of Equipment to a Canadian ....

Started by LOGDOG, January 02, 2007, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Hi All,

Had a quick question. If I were to sell a piece of equipment to a Canadian, the deliver it, do I have to deal with any customs issues or tax issues when crossing the border? And does an American need a Passport now to enter Canada or is that only for Canadians coming into the States? I know something changed since 9/11 just not sure what. All help appreciated as always.  :)

LOGDOG

Ron Wenrich

Whenever we deal with Canadians, we usually let them do the trucking.  They can get through customs quicker than we can, it seems.

As for the passport, its my understanding that you have to have one.  My wife does some traveling to Toronto and the last time they said she needed one.  She has one now.  Hers came pretty quick.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LOGDOG

Thanks Ron,

Who do I contact to get a passport. I've traveled to Canada hundreds of times and Mexico many times in the past but never needed a passport. I guess I better get my wife and I hooked up.

Thanks again,

LOGDOG

Paul_H

Logdog,

I bought a band resaw from WI a couple of years ago and had to provide a NAFTA Certificate of origin and a commericial invoice(Canada Customs Invoice).
We used a customs broker and when the time came to bring the saw across the line,I was in and out of the office at the border inside of 10 minutes.
The broker fees and taxes combined on the $3500 usd saw were $784.
GST and PST made up$590 of that total.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

LOGDOG

Wow Paul ...that's a bunch huh? But I guess that's how it is. I know we as Americans have to pay duty when we bring Canadian good into the U.S. so the reverse makes sense. What was the customs brokers fee?

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Paul_H

Because I was a "one timer" it cost an extra $60 in fees but the brokerage fee itself was $99.50 cdn. I dealt with one agent from the customs broker from start to finish and the crossing was painless.

Are you planning on delivering it into Canada yourself?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

beenthere

Quote from: LOGDOG on January 02, 2007, 09:37:10 PM
.............. And does an American need a Passport now to enter Canada or is that only for Canadians coming into the States? ...........

And I believe the Passport is so the American citizen can get back into the states without a hassle. Seems strange in a way that one has to prove he's a citizen of the US when outside, but it has come to that.

Recently I've been told that flying back from Canada requires a Passport now, but for awhile, driving back across the border does not. That comes from a recent note I received that was obtained from the US Consulate in Winipeg (have a meeting there May 2007).  I'd get the passport, and will be doing that soon. Go to the local Post Office to start the process, I believe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

My wife went to the county Prothonotary.  You'll need a passport photo.  You can get them anywhere that takes photos.  My wife got hers at Sears. 

The cost isn't too much and it came back in a few weeks.  They said months, but that's just the government CYA stuff.  They are good for 10 years. 

I'm hoping to go to Toronto on one of those trips, so I'll be needing one of those passports as well.  I thought that the Canadians were also checking coming in.  Sort of you do it to us, we'll do it to you type of system.

You also need a copy of your birth certificate.  We got ours from the state a long time ago.  You don't want to take the original.  You can also find the passport forms on line.

Fla._Deadheader

County Clerk's Office, or similar. Cost around $67.00 + more if yer in a hurry.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

slowzuki

If the Canadian is HST/GST registered he can recoup a bunch of the taxes.  We bought our tractor in the US and filled out the B-4 forms at the border in about 10 mins without the broker.  We had to pay the GST (7%) but recouped it on our next filing of sales tax rebate.

Ken

Ron Wenrich

Here's the link to the State Department for passports.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_832.html

It gives you info on what you need, and where to apply.  I found out there's a ton of places to apply besides your county government.  Some post offices and even a few public libraries.

KGNC

I go to Canada about 8 times a year. The rules have just changed and you need a passport to come home. It was funny, before when I drove across the border sometimes they would not even ask for an ID. But every time I fly in I have to fill out a form and show my passport.
We ship a lot of equipment across the border. It seems to be a lot easier and cheaper to bring stuff into the States than into Canada.
If by some chance the equipment was built in Canada you can state that it is Canadian equipment sometimes this can save you some money.

SwampDonkey

I cross back and forth and all that they require at the moment is drivers license with ID picture. By April 1st we need passports on planes only. There are big lines at the passport offices trying to beat the deadlines. They said don't go to the passport office yet if you aren't flying. You may wait up to 1.5 hours. I heard we may need passports this fall for ground travel. I read there are close to 350,000 Canadian applicants.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LOGDOG

Thanks for all the comments. I've done some searching and it seems you can have a passport expedited for an extra fee. It sounds like maybe I wouldn't need a full blown passport to drive over and come back at the moment but I'm going to get one anyway. 'Tis the world we're living in apparently. I just had to wonder ....one of the comments mentioned needing a passport to come back into the States ... if I went into Canada without one could I stay? ;D That wouldn't be so hard to handle, big walleyes, jumbo perch, awesome pike and smallmouth fishing, moose hunting. I can think of all kinds of things. I might just lose my paperwork once I get over the line.  :) ;)

LOGDOG

sawguy21

Ferget it, we get cranky with them there outcasts :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

KGNC

The government site says you won't need a passport if you drive across till next January. but I have also hear that it was this spring. A little confusing.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Thank You Sponsors!