iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sad Day "Now with a Happy End"

Started by dancan, May 04, 2007, 07:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancan

was cutting with my ms361 and it quit  :-[ . i checked the usual culprits and everything points to a dead coil .
does anybody know what the resistance readings are and have a coil for sale ?

beelsr

fyi.  coil has a lifetime guar. from stihl for original owner.

dancan

bought it used and have been told that it only has a 2 yr warranty from manufacture date of 2004
didn't realize how good and smooth it ran till i had to grab my 034

Kevin

Primary should be around 0.7-1.0 ohm.
Secondary should be 7700-10,300 ohms.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum, beelsr

I'm interested in anything that can happen to an MS361.  So far, so good with mine.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

Easiest way to check if your coil is actually dead is to use a digital tach like the stihl edt.

Pull off the stop lead.Remove the spark plug.Hold the tach near the ignition lead
and pull the starter slowly, then slightly faster ....increase the speed of your pull gradually.
If your coil is working you should get a minimum rpm reading of 100 - 120.
Anything higher your coil still works.
If its still higher, its weak.
If there is no reading its dead.
If you get a reading of 100-120, reconnect the stop lead and check again.If there is no reading, check the stop lead for a brak in the insulation.
This is usually the case and it occurs most of the time at the grommet just behind the coil.
When I say a higher reading what I mean is the speed  at which you get a reading.
Lifetime warranties on Stihl coils are there no more.

dancan

Thanks for the specs kevin

what led me to the coil after it quit was the smell of gas (thought it flooded)
i pulled the plug and checked for spark (found none) swapped the plug still no spark
installed screwdriver in spark plug boot , held on the metal shaft , clenched  my jaw and pulled the cord (high tech testing  :o) ,not even a tingle  :'( i took the plastic off and traced out the switch and wiring but no faults to be found so it all points to the coil .
now i can check the resistance before i spend the hard earned $$ :'( :'(

Cut4fun

I seen a used 361 coil in the $40's the other day, wonder what a new one cost?

Tom

Holy Cripes!!  You held onto the metal of the screwdriver.  Just thinking about doing that makes my....

dancan

new ones are 80 to 85.00 $$ cnd
yes there is one forsale on somethingbay but buy the time it gets to me it'll be close to the same .

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2007, 02:29:48 PM
Holy Cripes!!  You held onto the metal of the screwdriver.  Just thinking about doing that makes my....

hair stand on end ?
wet the handle first and then pull the cord really fast  :D  :D :D it gets the juices going ... really

well , maybe not , i start real slow  :o just in case and then pickup the pace

Tony_T

Check the cheap/easy stuff first.  Make sure the kill switch and /orwire is not shorted out.  Happened on an 038 of mine.

beelsr

Quote from: dancan on May 05, 2007, 11:44:52 AM

installed screwdriver in spark plug boot , held on the metal shaft , clenched  my jaw and pulled the cord (high tech testing  :o) ,not even a tingle  :'(

Do you pee on electric fences too?   :D

If you know the guy you bought it from, he's local and you have a Stihl dealer, buy him a beer to take the saw to the dealer.  The coils _are_ lifetime for the original owner.

beelsr

Quote from: joe_indi on May 05, 2007, 09:41:03 AM

Don't know about India but they are here in North America.  Andy posts this regularly on AS.

dancan

picked up the new coil at 7:30 am got back to the shop and was making noise by 8:00 am 8) 8)

sawmilllawyer

8) Beeslrl, when I first got my MS 361 the saw would'nt check just about everything. No go. Took it into the dealer, replcaced coil, no problems since, been about a year and half. Don't know if it's common with this saw or not. Other than that saw has worked flawlessly, very happy with it.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

sawmilllawyer

Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

arojay

Dancan,  Make sure you are using a resistor plug.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

SawTroll

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on May 10, 2007, 10:25:26 PM
8) Beeslrl, when I first got my MS 361 the saw would'nt check just about everything. No go. Took it into the dealer, replcaced coil, no problems since, been about a year and half. Don't know if it's common with this saw or not. Other than that saw has worked flawlessly, very happy with it.

Not usual at all, according to the Stihl dealers/techs at that unmentionable site.......
Information collector.

jokers

Quote from: beelsr on May 06, 2007, 03:44:02 PM
Quote from: joe_indi on May 05, 2007, 09:41:03 AM

Don't know about India but they are here in North America.  Andy posts this regularly on AS.
Maybe Andy is warranteeing them himself out of pocket because the Stihl warranty is two years. Look it up. Or maybe Andy just hasn`t had to warranty a coil in a while and doesn`t realize this has changed.

Thank You Sponsors!