iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kitchen Table Refinishing

Started by SlowJoeCrow, July 06, 2017, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowJoeCrow

One of my side projects that I have going on is refinishing a kitchen table for my own family's use.  Our current table has served us well but it is time for an upgrade.  My wife happened to find a used oak table and set of chairs on craigslist, so off we went to look at it.  Quality Amish built double pedestal solid oak table and chair set, only one owner.  The table top is 5/4 thick finished.  It was a quality table and chair set, so we brought it all home for $350!!.  I originally was planning on making a new table, but for that price it wasn't worth my time to make a new one. 

Everything does need refinished though, so the sanding starts.

The Wife's idea to paint the bottom, I wouldn't have done it but it does look nice.

And here is staining the top.

Polyurethane will go over the top of the stain, hopefully I will have it finished up by the end of the weekend.

I still have all the chairs to do yet.  She is very eager and already had one painted black when I came home one day :o :o  In my mind it's a sin to paint solid oak.  But what is done is done and in actuality, it will be much easier sanding for a paint job compared to a complete sand-down for new stain and poly.  There are two captains chairs with armrests that we might leave natural and will paint the rest.

I picked up a hvlp turbine and am using it to spray the paint and finish.  I have experience spraying automotive paints out of a conventional gun, so this is a learning curve for me.  It is a Earlex SprayPort 6003, so far so good.

Darrel

Looks great!

I like to refinish, but only if I can get somebody else to do all the prep work.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: Darrel on July 06, 2017, 10:59:04 AM
Looks great!

I like to refinish, but only if I can get somebody else to do all the prep work.

:D :D :D  I HATE REFINISHING!!!  This wasn't terrible though and I did get her to do a lot of the rough sanding to remove the old finish.  I did all the final sanding.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That is one fine looking painted bottom table. Gotta keep'm happy. I do like it myself.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SlowJoeCrow

Sprayed three coats of poly over the weekend, I think one more tonight and that will be it.  So far so good.

samandothers

I too like the wood left un painted. However the black your wife selected looks very nice on the bases and the chair. 

What did you do to prep the surfaces you painted?

sawguy21

I tried that, got a fat F for my efforts. The local paint emporium recommended a primer then stain but the finish started lifting within a year. Karen wants it redone but don't think it's gonna happen, the thought of all that tedious sanding wears me out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SlowJoeCrow

To prep for the paint, just scuff sand for smoothness and proper adhesion.  Doesn't matter what it looks like, rather how it feels is more important.  On some of the more used chairs, the old film finish has flaked away in some spots.  This will require a bit more sanding to blend in and to make sure the old finish won't keep flaking.  Most of this prep sanding can be done with 220 grit, no need to go any coarser.  This is opposed to the top where looks matter as well - here we had to start with 80 grit to completely remove all the old finish and surface stain down to a uniform wood color and then progressively sand with finer grits.  Then new stain and poly.  I am using Sherwin Williams new Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel for the table base and chairs.  I am very happy with how it sprayed on the base but I had to thin it substantially (25%!) to get it to spray well.  The idea with this urethane enamel is that it shouldn't need any clear topcoat, at least that's what they say. Expensive at $60/gal on sale!!

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 10, 2017, 11:39:19 AM
I tried that, got a fat F for my efforts. The local paint emporium recommended a primer then stain but the finish started lifting within a year. Karen wants it redone but don't think it's gonna happen, the thought of all that tedious sanding wears me out.

I hope not to have to do this again any time soon! I am a little nervous because for the first time I am using a water-borne poly, I sure hope it holds up.  I have always used oil based in the past.

SlowJoeCrow

Well, got home last night, ate supper real quick, sanded and sprayed the supposed to be last coat... put it on too heavy and you know what happened.  At least with finishing, you can just sand away your mistakes! 

Crusarius

I was very leary about the water based poly as well. Now it is almost all that I use. Primary reason is the smell. But it actually seems more durable than the oil base and does not yellow over time. This is a countertop I made all from scrap pieces of pine that is a pretty heavy catchall and sees alot of sbuse. still looks great.

SlowJoeCrow

Good to know and very nice countertop.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Crusarius

Thanx, I hope I didn't hijack the thread :)

SlowJoeCrow

Well, no sanding or spraying tonight, I went shopping instead.  I was spraying Minwax Polycrylic on the tabletop because that is what I had.  But I don't have enough left for another coat so I went and bought finish that is actually supposed to be sprayed.  I will be very curious how this shoots compared to the Minwax.  It's supposed to be the "cream of the crop".

With the Minwax I was struggling to put it on just right - seemed like it either went on too dry but if I put a heavier coat on it ran.

Crusarius

one day I would like to try spraying. I find for poly the cheap 30 cent chip brushes work the best. At least for me.

Darrel

I have found that I like using wipe-on poly
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

SlowJoeCrow

Last Thursday I sprayed on the GF clear poly as the final coat.  I still put it on too heavy, but not as bad and it came out good.  I think there is a loose NUT on the gun. taz-smiley

We moved it in the house Saturday morning so it would finish curing faster in the lower humidity.  I will let it sit until this weekend and then we will start using it.  With the extra leaves in it, that's a BIG table!

The Wife is happy.  Now on to the chairs.

samandothers

Looks great!  You will now need a bigger dining area.  ;D

SlowJoeCrow

Quote from: samandothers on July 17, 2017, 04:21:56 PM
Looks great!  You will now need a bigger dining area.  ;D

:D :D It's pushed off to the side of the room right now as we are letting it sit a bit more before we use it.  But the Wife would agree with you!

WDH

Oh my!  Time for a COMPLETE remodel  :D.  First a little table.  Next, a whole house  :D :D.

Grizzly

Nothing quite like a big table full of family and/or friends. It also tends to indicate that some folks still gather together for mealtime and such like. Good to see.

By the way...........ever find the loose nut on the spray gun??   :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

21incher

That came out nice. It looks like a cozy fit in that area. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!