iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 215 forwarder/skidder advice please...

Started by BOBWOOD, December 27, 2010, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOBWOOD

Hello all...new to forum here... Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the early 70's 215H forwarder with a #40 Barko loader and John Deere 3152D engine. I am considering purchasing one for use around my own place to transport logs to sawmill, and general lifting stuff around including log building. I have a John Deere 450 loader/backhoe I will use for skidding and other lifting tasks but I want something that can reach higher, is more agile and better travelling....and doesn't tear everything up!... I am only doing this part time and the focus is more on the construction aspect rather than production logging/sawmilling. I realize this is an old machine and some of the parts may be difficult to find. I don't want to spend all my time fixing either. But anything newer is out of the question for now financially. My first option was to mount a knuckleboom crane to the crawler and plumb on a log clam and use some type of trailer behind for transporting....but I just got my heart set on a little forwarder...So any adive on this particular model of machine/engine/log loader would be appreciated. Thanks. BOB  

Maine372

the timberjacks are locked up all around. so they have a tendancy to tear things up even though they are on tires not tracks.

not sure if iron mules or tree farmers are locked up or not.

BOBWOOD

OK...thanks for the info...I guess tearing up the ground isn't too big of a concern...especially in the bush here in N. Ontario....(although being a woodworker and having a sawmill I do not like any type of grit = )...)...I do like the looks of the Barko 40 loader as I think it would lift more than some of the other designs as both the cylinders are pushing outwards when lifting...which would be better if I use it for log building construction....BOB

(Turns out that I have a no-spin  in the front...Rockwell PR-61-NX-17 axle...Also one of the rear axle shafts turned out to be broken...so it doesn't tear up the ground at all :D)

BOBWOOD

I guess I should of asked for advice on the TJ 215 skidder platform...as there are probably more people familar with that specifically. My research has turned up that those 3-152 engines were very good but some of the injection pumps are no longer supported by Deere...or anyone else. As far as the 215 skidder itself goes what should I be looking for when considering purchasing one?...I see also that the brakes may be a weak spot...how are the other drivetrain components?...are the plantaries heavy enough?....Thanks BOB

bushmechanic

Hello bobwood I don't know of Timberjack ever making a 215 forwarder.The skidder however had a 220 Ford engine,total piece of crap,I guess that is why there is a John Deere engine in it now.The basic platform is the same as a 230D with the exception of the forward/reverse and transmission and of course the engine.The differentials and planetaries are Rockwell,no problems there.Just keep in mind that it is an older machine and no doubt have to spend money on it.In my opinion it is a good machine without the Ford engine.

BOBWOOD

Hi...went to look at the machine...I guess it had been a cable skidder until someone mounted a log loader and bunk to it instead...unfortunately, I think it does not have the original axle housings...I'm not sure what they are but they have been broken/cracked and welded...(both on same side)....I'm just thinking about all the forces involved that get transfered through those housings...the dead weight (the machine plus the logs), the engine torque and shock loading from the tires...The price reflects that it is an old machine not suited for serious logging but I can see me snapping those off in no time even if I'm just using it lightly...I don't know if I could find some used ones cheap and then I don't know if the wheel hubs and everything would fit....might be a nightmere...

grassfed

A 3152 seems small for a skidder or forwarder. I think that  would be in the 35-40 hp range. It would be slow going loaded up hills.
Mike

BOBWOOD

Hi... I was mistaken...it actually has a 3-179 engine...48HP I think...not much more power but a bit.

muellerlogging

hi i dont know much of the 215 forwarder but i have a 230d timberjack in excellent shape has a double bunk 453detroit with turbo. 14000 is what i want for it we milk 110 cows and dont have any use for it anymore. 608 585 3451 it is located in wisconsin. thanku.

BOBWOOD

Thanks for all the advice guys....I bought the 215...(Thanks for the offer muellerlogging...probably a much better machine you have there but I just can't do it financially right now) I'm sure I'll probably regret buying it in some regards but hopefully the thing will work well enough for my purposes for the time being...perhaps I was just worrying too much about the housings breaking. I guess I'll begin my quest for some replacements as soon as I figure out exactly what they are. I still have to build a sawmill building and set that up and also some sort of garage/shop...so not too much serious usage for a couple years but it should be an awesome help in completeing those projects. BOB   

BOBWOOD

Hello all once again. I am going to try and post some photos of the 215H here. Perhaps someone will be able to tell me what these axles are. I have read many previous posts and think they might be the same PR68 Rockwells that Dave Shepard had in a 208D.  Also can anyone tell the year of the machine for sure?...The seller said it was early 70's. The axles have "64" on them but I don't know if they are original.... serial #643918

barbender

I'd say just don't load her too heavy, and it should hold up. I don't think the axles were made for having all of the weight on them like a forwarding application, but I've seen a lot of axles on skidders crack in that area too.
Too many irons in the fire

240b

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Thing almost looks homemade.. Wouldn't mind having a unit like that to follow my Processor, Skid Steer is kinda slow and gets old.. Makes for many landing of wood for the trucker

NB sawdust

We are running the same kinda rig, except it's an old tree farmer with what we believe to be an old deere loader.Bobus2003 it works great running around behind the little harvester !!! The big Double bunk forwarders, although fairly cheap to buy,are too large for what we are doing.I like it because we can move everything with the gooseneck.The rear end has been broke in the same spot if that means anything ::)The old stuff is nice as far as not needing computers and crap to work on it!

Maine372

ill second that as a deere loader, do i hear a third?

BOBWOOD

Thanks for the positive remarks guys...it was a difficult decision for me to get this machine...it probably wasn't the best deal in the world, especially when I also have to pay to have it hauled here and the tax when crossing the border...when I think about all the time and money I could spend on it I get a bit overwhelmed...I'm used to keeping my tools in top shape...but I just have to keep in mind most of the repairs can be done over time and if it can preform the job I need it to it doesn't have to be perfect....I worked in a large production mill and most of that equipment was complete garbage...but somehow it produced a lot of lumber...I really like your machine NB sawdust thanks for the post with the photo...yes it does mean something....I'm feeling a lot more optimistic now ;D... BOB  

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

bushmechanic

Those are the smaller Rockwell axles,same ones that are on a 208D and the C-4 Treefarmer used them also,they should be easy to find parts for.Looks like a good conversion job and I have also seen those axles busted up on skidders,personally If it looks like it cracked completely around the axle I would weld on some extra plates on the side of the axle.A cord of wood on the back would be plenty with the weight of that loader,she'll handle that no problem.

NB sawdust

We haul about two cords on the old girl .... everyday!! Don't be scared of them welds ....that's just proof that it can be fixed if ya break it :) I do agree that you could beef it up with some gussets. It does not show it in that older pic I posted, but we built a headache rack just behind the loader.I would strongly suggest building one for yours. It makes it so much easier to straighten your wood up.You can grab a grapple full of sticks and smack em against that rack, then when you unload your wood at the landing everything is nice and straight.Saves a lot of time,hardly need to use the bump plate.We used heavy mesh from a catwalk. Where abouts are you located bobwood?? Good luck with the machine!! Looks good!

BOBWOOD

Hey!...yeah I'm planning to have my brother look at it when it arrives here...he's pretty handy with a welder so I'll maybe get him to reinforce those housings and fab some ad-ons too...like needs to have the seat finished and some protection there...and I'd like a trailer hitch too...I'm located in Thunder Bay ON...kinda isolated here and difficult to find decent equipment at a good price...BOB

Quote from: Maine372 on January 27, 2011, 06:28:09 PM
ill second that as a deere loader, do i hear a third?

I think it is either a modified Serco 4000 or a modified Barko  OR a combination of a serco lower mated to a barko 40 upper.
As in Bearing down serco, bearing up barko.
hard to tell exactly without a closer look or a year of manufacture

Stephen Alford

Hey Bob, I think whoever took the time to put  your porter together would not have wasted their efforts on bad components.  Just a couple of thoughts.  You may find her a bit tippy.  If you increase the pad size on the bottom of the stabilizers ,that helps.  Some type of fold out and locking pad might work. When you use the boom the legs will work up and down turning the soil to mush under the stabilizer.  Putting wood and slash under helps but is time consuming.  If there is minimal frost the legs can break through causing her to lurch.  If you were to make larger pads put cleats on the bottom. Often when you are loading on a slope the legs will be acting as a break so be ready when you lift them that she may try and run. Anyway I think you will find the stabler the better all round. Hard to tell from the pics but you may want to turn those hoses down so if one were to blow you would not take the hot oil in the face.  I have always found there to be a bit of a learning curve with any "new to me" piece of gear. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get her to the woods.  :)
logon

Thank You Sponsors!