iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makes No ¢¢¢

Started by Magicman, April 03, 2016, 03:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Brucer on April 04, 2016, 12:52:32 AM
I still have a dozen pristine $1.00 bills (Canadian). Just for laughs, every 5 years or so I will try to spend one. I've never been turned away yet.

Funny thing though -- usually as I leave I'll see the clerk fishing a loonie out of her purse and swapping it for the dollar bill in the till ;D.

My Son has a collection of pristine  $2 bills. Every once in a  while he takes one out and takes it to a restaurant.

Most times the young staff think it is a counterfeit. He does not spend them but it is sure interesting the response they incite. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on April 04, 2016, 08:40:35 AM
If/when I need a ¼" washer I'll drill a hole through a penny.  Store bought ¼" washers cost 3¢.

That's against the law.   :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

If/when I need a ¼" washer I'll drill a hole through a penny.  Store bought ¼" washers cost 3¢.
Lynn,

A Japanese yen 5 or 50 yen piece already has a hole in it. My son was born in Okinawa while I was stationed there and we mounted his mobile over his crib using a 50 yen piece for a washer.

We had a monument business in NW Fla and Dad would stick the granite pieces together with a sealing compound like a thick caulk. To keep it from squeezing completely out we always put a penny in each corner of every piece of granite as a spacer. Was cheaper than cutting up other shims.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 04, 2016, 10:38:32 AM

So is the income tax but that's another can of soup  O0
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

When we raise a frame at a site we always place a coin in the corner pocket under a post. The coin must have the year date of the frame:

When I was doing a timber frame interior job we used a penny as the date marker because a penny is exactly 3/4" in diameter and it is easy to bore a hole:

The above penny was going to be hidden under a "dutchman" patch that was suppose to look like it was holding two timbers together end to end.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

coxy

I have a bunch of 1/2 pennys that my grandma gave me when I would do some things for her when I was little  thought i was rich till I got older and learnt how to count and figured out I was getting ripped off  :D :D

Magicman

During the Cabin Addition "Bedroom Project" I "found" the penny and business card that I put in the wall in 1995.   

And then added a 2015 penny and my present business card when I covered it back up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 04, 2016, 10:38:32 AM

You made me look, and there are many answers:  It is against the law to Sometimes. According to Title 18, U. S. C. section 331, it is illegal to "fraudulently alter, deface, mutilate, impair, diminish, falsify, scale, or lighten any of the coins coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States".

The issue with this is what "fraudulently" exactly means. According to the US mint itself, "the mere act of compressing coins into souvenirs is not illegal, without other factors being present" because it probably doesn't entail fraudulent intent.

If you file a penny down to dime size and put it in a vending machine it is fraud and very much illegal.  Drilling a hole in a penny and using it for a washer has no fraudulent motive or intent. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

So a hole is defacing, lighten, mutilate,  I think that's more than compressing.
Call it what you want.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

As to collecting pocket change I had a friend who paid for his moose hunt up north every year with quarters salvaged from his pocket change at the end of the day. One year he found he didn't have enough money with just the quarters so he started saving the new loonie. That fixed his problem.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Stephen1

Quote from: 4x4American on April 03, 2016, 10:17:18 PM
I hate it when your change due is ~ $0.98 and the cashier gives you all nickels and pennies instead of a dollar bill
In the great north, since we got rid of the penny, we would get the $1 as change. now if it was .97 cents they would round down and you would get your pocket of nickles and dimes.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ianab

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 05, 2016, 07:45:53 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on April 03, 2016, 10:17:18 PM
I hate it when your change due is ~ $0.98 and the cashier gives you all nickels and pennies instead of a dollar bill
In the great north, since we got rid of the penny, we would get the $1 as change. now if it was .97 cents they would round down and you would get your pocket of nickles and dimes.

Same here.

98c change gets you a nice shiny gold coloured coin.

That's good to buy anything worth up to $1.04....
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Roxie

When the young lady in my avatar was four, her Granpa would give her any quarters that he had in his pocket, and she would dutifully put them in her coin bank.  One day she and her Mom were going shopping, and as Granpa reached into his pocket he said, "Let me give you some money," and she replied, "Now Granpa, if I'm going shopping I'm going to need the green kind."  They grow up so fast.   :D
Say when

sandhills

Den Socling

When we are in NZ and I'm in a check out line, I just hold out a handful of change and tell the cashier to take what they need.  :D Mighty confusing!

4x4American

lol lol lol lol Roxie that's hilarious
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Den Socling on April 05, 2016, 08:03:05 PM
When we are in NZ and I'm in a check out line, I just hold out a handful of change and tell the cashier to take what they need.  :D Mighty confusing!
Den,

Unfortunately our clerks are pretty poor at math these days and I routinely confuse them by giving them small change to reduce the small change I get back. If the bill is $4.87 and I give them $5.12 they often try to give back the 12 cents and tell me the $5 will cover it. Then they seem amazed that the change is a singe quarter. Our clerks push a picture on the cash register and type in the money received and the cash register tells them how much change to give back. If there is a power outage they are lost.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Well, WV-S, since our DanG Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into bill the $15 minimum wage, we won't have to worry about clerks who can't compute change in their head, because surely anyone worth $15/hour will be able to do simple math...

smiley_lit_bulb stupid_smiley arg-smiley
Boy, back in my day..

Ianab

In Rarotonga they sell drinking coconuts for $2. If you pay with a $5 coin you might get a $3 Note as change. :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: scgargoyle on April 04, 2016, 06:36:17 AM
I just did some quick research, and a dollar in 1900 is equal to about $28 today. That means that a quarter today is worth about what a penny was back then. We could get rid of the penny, nickel, and dime.

So if a 1930s Buck is worth about 30 ish bucks today that would make the the average wage for a week back then about $700 to $900 in todays world. At $15 bucks an hours for 40 hours (and 40 hour work week didn't exist back then) is $600 bucks in todays bucks.

Kinda looks like the minimum wage is still not keeping pace with inflation.

To equal the 1930 wage the minimum wage today would need to be about $18.75 an hour in todays world. Maybe thats why its hard to find good help! 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Grandpa

Bandit
Maybe in Canada.
In the US the minimum wage law was passed in 1938. It was 25 cents per hour. 25 cents times 30 equals $7.50 per hour.

Thank You Sponsors!