iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1986 LT30 Resurrection

Started by DavidM, November 24, 2019, 09:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

I pulled this 1986 LT 30 out from under the barn where it has sat unused for over ten years.  It was my uncles but he finally agreed to sell it to me.  I was the last to use it before I was put under the barn.   I was able to get the 16 hp Kohler running with a little work.  It has a lot of surface rust from the humidity in south Georgia.  I started removing the rust with a wire brush on a grinder.  It is cleaning up pretty good.  I am going over the rails with 400 grit sand paper to polish them up and smooth out the rust pitting.  It is not bad and I don't believe it will affect the sawing.  I am replacing all the chains and belts but want to give it a good repainting first.  

A few repairs are needed and I considering a few upgrades.  It did not have toe boards.  I definitely plan to add manual ones from the LT28.  They are on Black Friday sale for $295 each.  I think the fine adjustment outrigger stands would be nice but I plan on this mill being mainly stationary  on a concrete slab, not sure they are warranted.  Stainless rail covers are likely.   I would like to upgrade the pillow blocks to roller bearings and the hydraulic blade tensioner.   At $1200 this would be a big expense.  Is it worth it?

I recently retired and would like to cut enough timber off my farm to build a Timber Frame/ Log Cabin out of Southern Yellow pine.
N/A- eval only

barbender

Nice score, not to mention you already have a history with it. I look forward to seeing your progress!
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

Good luck on your restore project.Don't think I would install the LT28 toe boards.IMO they are tedious and don't work on small diameter logs.A series of wood blocks and a small pry bar worked better for me.
Welcome to the Forum.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Crusarius

Why would you switch out the pillowblocks? Seems like alot of unnecessary work to me.

caveman

Congratulations on the mill.  I think that if it were mine that I would get it running and producing accurate lumber and then determine which modifications to perform and then prioritize them.  With a strong canthook handle and a place to stand one can raise/lever up a pretty good sized log quickly.  The SS bunk covers would be on my list.  Other factors to use to determine modifications would be: 
  What tasks could be made easier, safer or more efficient with modifications?  
   The fine adjust outriggers would probably be nice to have but if you are setting the mill up stationary they might not make the top of the list.  Some wide wooden wedges and a coarse adjustment tool can quickly tighten up jiggly outriggers.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Caveman

jb616

I restored an '84 lt 30 two winters ago. Hit me up if you have an questions. 

Thank You Sponsors!