iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker species

Started by DPatton, December 01, 2018, 04:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

What species of wood do you prefer to use for stickers.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Whatever I am sawing but remember that I primarily saw for farmers.  Sticker stain is not an issue with framing and barn lumber.  Today's stickers were White & Red Oak and ERC.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Poplar by far works the best for me, stable, strong. No kiln issues with it at all either.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Spruce or hemlock, 1"x1". dry and sawn as rough as possible, especially for drying hard maple or white pine.

DPatton

Hmm, I personally like using honey locust for stickers.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

mart

We really only have three species in our area, spruce, birch and cottonwood. I just grab a nice straight cottonwood, square it, cut it in one inch boards, turn it 90 degrees and saw again in one inch increments. Then cut to length with a chain saw or chop saw.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Brad_bb

Honey locust?  Man, save that stuff for boards, beams, and slabs.  Heavy hard stuff but pretty in my opinion.  Here's what I do with it.

I use Ash for stickers.  Ash is plentiful now with all the standing dead and I've taken down a lot just on my property.  I have over 100 logs on bunks waiting for me to get to them.  I'm sure in 5 years or so, there won't be anymore, but right now it's coming out my ears.  And it's pretty dry to start with. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Southside

I could see using the thorns from Honey Locust as stickers.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DPatton

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 03, 2018, 09:06:23 PM
Honey locust?  Man, save that stuff for boards, beams, and slabs. 
:D I hear ya Brad, I also appreciate a good honey locust log and think the wood is far under appreciated. I used a lot of it on my drying shed build this past spring as well. But every once in a while I just get a log that's not long enough for what I want and stickers it will become. I have just had my best luck with stickers out of locust. They are hard, stay straight, and don't break, split, or splinter as bad as some others.  

D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Honey Locust can be some purdy stuff.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

esteadle

Poplar is a good one. Or Aspen. These logs don't make much else that's marketable, but they make good stickers. Cheap, and light, and easy to break. ;)

Basswood takes forever and a day to dry, and it sucks up moisture like a sponge. I have been cutting stickers out of it to try an experiment I have in mind to avoid sticker stain. If the Basswood is dry enough, it might suck the moisture out of the boards it is stickering. That's the hypothesis, anyway. We'll see if it turns into a theory. 

Thank You Sponsors!