iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT10 vs HM126 which to buy?

Started by bobborneman, July 04, 2018, 08:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobborneman

I have been looking at HM126 and WM LT10. Each has pros and cons. Would appreciate feedback from owners of these, especially what you don't like about them.  Problems for me on the LT10 are with raising the head manually and no leveling feet.  HM126 has both those, and is $1k cheaper, which makes me worry about build quality.  Any thoughts?

addysdaddy

I guess i can throw in my 2 cents worth. I own an LT10 and my buddy from NH just bought an HM126 in Dec and i went down for a visit to help him set up. Both do have their pros and cons. The LT10 does cost a bit more, but it is a more robust saw with i would say better manufacturing / welding and a bit bigger capacity for logs. that being said you really have to work to cut to 1 inch from the bed and the log clamp / screw isn't the best set-up for doing this. as for the manual saw head it is on a spring cable and is harder to push down then raise up. extra bed lengths are also expensive. As for the HM 126 it is a good quality mill. 2 inch less throat capacity but you can break down logs just as easily. the distance from blade up to blade cover housing is smaller. not sure exactly but i think less than 6 inches. makes it awkward to cut bigger than 4 inch thick off the log as you work down from top of cant. you can cut down to 1 inch off the bed easily with the HM 126 as the log sits higher than the rails. My buddy is building / renovating his horse barn and loves it. it also doesn't allow for control of engine RPM as the clutch for blade and engine speed both work on the same squeeze of a handle. let go of handle and engine idles and blade stops. very safe set up. both are excellent hobby mills. i mounted my LT10 on 2 x 6x6x18 foot and my buddy mounted his on 4x4 cross braces. neither mill is designed to be moved unless you have to. pick a spot and leave it there. 
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

addysdaddy

Sorry my bad. my buddy has the HM 122 not the 126. 
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

btulloh

I've only used the 126 but it's been good to me and the company is good to deal with.  (I never heard anything but good about Woodmizer support either.)

The one thing I would suggest is to add the extras you'll need to buy with both mills so you're looking at the real final cost of each.  With the HM126 you should at least get an extra section of track for sure so you can saw logs up to 16 ft long.  The adjustable feet on the HM126 really help leveling to a base, so factor in how you'd accomplish that with the other mill.  You'll need spare drive and idler belts for both to have on hand.  Guide blocks, bearings, and anything you might need for your purpose.

Try to get a look at both mills somehow if there's any way to accomplish that.  ( I guess we'd all do it that way if we could.  :))

Good luck with your mission.  Hope you're sawing soon.
HM126

bobborneman

Addysdaddy that is a great point about the bunks being higher than the rails.  Helping with last ciut is n0t something you would know by looking at online videos. Sounds like you have alot of experience.  I live 50 mins from the woodmizer dealer so would not have to pay for shipping.  I am thinking that would be a big plus for parts and support.  Price difference then is just $550.  Is that convenience worrh the markup?

47sawdust

When I as first looking at mills I was steered away from the LT10 toward the LT15 by a regional WM rep.He wasn't trying to make a sale either.If your budget allows,I would strongly urge considering a heavier mill.LT15 or comparable by other mfg.I also would look at a used mill in that category.A lot of mills are purchased and then come up for sale because the original buyer is trading up or found it was too much work.
Best of luck,by the way I ended up with a 1997 LT30 and have owned it for 8 years,many mods later it is approaching a hydraulic mill.It's a slippery slope you have stepped onto,but if it suits you,very rewarding.Lots of smart,clever and funny folks here.Welcome.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

wesdor

You seem to be going at this with an open mind and wanting the facts. Good for you.
I initially looked at the LT10 but thought it was too light weight for me. Not sure of your budget but you might look at the new LT15 model.  Sorry that I can't give you any details, but the price at least looks tempting. 

Most of all I hope you might find sawyers nearby that have each of the models you are considering. Working for a day with each would help you make an informed decision. Best situation on my opinion would be to visit a dealer and use their mill under their direction. 

Whatever your decision, I think you are in for a lot of pleasure (and also hard work), producing some beautiful lumber.  

addysdaddy

I am lucky as well living only 1/2 hour from our WM dealer here in NS canada. It made the decision easier as i just picked up the mill myself and don't have to stock up on spare parts etc. As for cutting near the bed i made an adaptation to the log clamp with a forstner bit which makes it now routine. WM also has a cover for the end of the screw now which is similiar. My buddy also says that service is great with HM but he has stripped 2 screw clamps and says they are a soft metal. HM replaced them so not a big issue. Both mills look kind of light weight in pictures. but when you stand beside them they are actually very heavy duty pieces of equipment. both are also very user friendly and hold their value so upgrading in the future doesn't involve the loss of the money you have in the first smaller mill. Good luck with your decision.  
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

bobborneman

Where do most folks post there used sawmills for sale? The sawmill exchange has some higher end mills. Struggling to find used mills in the LT10, 15, HM126,30 range.

OffGrid973

I went with the LT-10 and would never choose anything but orange moving forward.  Love the setup, and I poured a slab to make it 100% level without having to worry about adjustments ( best idea and investment by far).

Regarding price look into the cost of blades, the extra tracks and tools to get up and running...at that point a few hundred either way becomes almost not a concern as you need to spend a few grand to start making money.

Plus side of WM is that you get to meet Marty Parsons and rumor has it you can get a matching Log Rite cant hook if you know the right people :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Tin Horse

Though I now own an Enercraft mill now my previous mill was the Woodland.Nothing wrong with it but myself I needed something built heavier. After looking at the Wood-Mizers it would have been my choice for a little more money.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

bobborneman

Happy day today, just ordered brand spanking new HM 126 today!  Got the 14HP option. Looking forward to delivery sometime next week.

thecfarm

Happy sawing!!!
Ordered a cantdog or a peavey from Logrite? Might just as well have them slip in some of that Blue Creeper stuff too. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bobborneman

I have an old cant hook that the family says was owned by my wife's grandfather who used to have a circle sawmill back in the 1950s.  Ive been using that, and works great, so I will stick with it until I need something bigger.  I did buy  Jr Logarch from logrite this summer and I LLLOOOVVVEE that thing. I even strap it to the hitch on my atv for a redkneck atv arch and it works great.  Logrite threw a bottle of blue creeper when they shipped it. That stuff is amazing, also using it on squeecky doors :D

WV Sawmiller

BMan,

I have one of those old cant hooks too. It stays right under the front of my mill and I use it often as a mill special because I have been too cheap so far to buy a second LogRite. I have never seen your family heirloom but I promise that LogRite will dance circles around it when you start turning logs!

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

bobborneman

I have a cant hook question. They come in several lengths. Is there a reason why i wouldn't want the longest one? 

Downstream

congrats on taking the plunge!  I have 60" logrite and would not go shorter than that.  I call it the magic blue stick because I can move/turn most anything with it's leverage.  Only negative to longer is weight in my opinion.  
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

bobborneman

that's what I am thinking, get the 60".  Hate to get 48 and wish I got the longer one.  

bobborneman

Here is a picture of that old cant hook I was talking about. The thing hanging on the wall above it, I found out in the woods on my property. I am telling everyone it's an old moonshine still top.  I really don't know what it is, but that's the line I am sticking with unless someone can tell me what it really is :D

WV Sawmiller

Don't go less than 60" for log handling. The short hooks are for moving/flipping cants and such already on the mill IMHO. I sometimes wish I had the 78" hook. Keep in mind your mill size and the biggest log you could ever mill on it when making that decision. If I have to roll a very big log over I can use my hydraulics and my Magic Hook. You will have to use your hook or MHE if not hydraulics.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mitchstockdale

Quote from: bobborneman on November 14, 2018, 08:31:39 PM
Happy day today, just ordered brand spanking new HM 126 today!  Got the 14HP option. Looking forward to delivery sometime next week.
Have you received your new mill yet??
I got an HM126 with the 9hp back in 2016 (its is their older design) and it works really well. 
I think you will be happy with your purchase.
Do your self a favor and cut up some cribbing to get the mill off the ground a little bit.  
Post up some pics once you have it all set up interested to see.

mtoo747

I recently bought the hm126/ 14hp for hobby milling and i love it. I got the xl trailer mounted model so i can move it to my brother's house if we need to mill some logs there. Also i can move it into my barn for the winter months. I'm very impressed with the build quality, everything is either galvanized or powder coated and everything fit the way it was supposed to. I was disappointed that the electric start option wasn't available on the hm126 with the 14 hp but find the recoil model easy to start. I have contacted tech support on several occasions and found them quite knowledgeable and helpful. My only regret is that i didn't buy it sooner! Good luck with yours and i'm sure you will love it.
mike

Thank You Sponsors!