iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Neighbors....you don't get to pick em

Started by Old Greenhorn, June 21, 2019, 10:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtrees

Neighbors can be great or not so great.

Of the neighbors next to the tree farm we have is "not so great". I had a meeting with him and he literally informed me that he got to decide what I did with the 30 western feet of my property (about 1/2 acre total). He felt that he had the right to approve what I did in this area because it was their buffer.

I informed him that he was wrong, and am now busily planting trees in this rectangular area. Hope he likes trees.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: bigtrees on June 25, 2019, 09:37:26 AM
Neighbors can be great or not so great.

Of the neighbors next to the tree farm we have is "not so great". I had a meeting with him and he literally informed me that he got to decide what I did with the 30 western feet of my property (about 1/2 acre total). He felt that he had the right to approve what I did in this area because it was their buffer.
For the life of me I cannot understand what drives logic like this. Based on that  logic, YOU should have the right to decide what he does with the Eastern 30 feet of HIS property because that is YOUR buffer, correct?
 You do what ever you want with your property within zoning restrictions. Maybe that would be a good place to set up the sawmill shed? ;D
 That guy is a pinhead. He is lucky you planted trees, the perfect buffer anyway you look at it. While you are at it, maybe throw in a row of cactus, rose bushes, or buck thorn (which I am considering).
 It might not be a bad idea to make a copy of your local zoning restrictions to use for reference if you ever have another 'meeting' with him.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on June 24, 2019, 05:39:14 PM
Are you SURE there was a chain on the bar?  :D
Well, no, not really, but I am guessing there was. I can't say whether is was on facing the correct direction though.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: btulloh on June 24, 2019, 05:51:59 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

That's better than the joke about the old farmer that bought his first chainsaw, took it back to the dealer a week later because it sawed so slow.  The dealer started the saw and the old farmer yells "what's that noise?!?!?". (Maybe that jokes so old some of y'all have forgotten it.)
Not only do I know this joke, but that is exactly what I was thinking about as I was eating my lunch and listening to 'the show'.
 I tell the joke a little different, the farmer brought it back because he could only cut 20 trees a day with it..... ;D

btulloh

Yeah - telling it requires a bit more embellishment.  It had some politically incorrect elements to it when I first heard it.  That kind of thing that was ok then, but can get you in trouble today with the PC police, or maybe even the real police.   :D   

At least we seem to be enjoying your neighbor's expertise. 
HM126

Jeff

I have a big beautiful fence now because of a neighbor issue. We love the fence.

Same neighbor has a tree. Big yellow poplar that drops its mess mostly on my side from any fall breeze. In the summer it shades our pool and deck for about two hours. Ive been wishing that tree dead for ten years. Ive never ever complained about it.

I get up this morning and woe! Tree service is next door taking it down! Turns out they were having issues with their share of shade and mess. I'll  not let this  guy ever know, I LOVE IT! LOTS OF SUN IN PLACES I NEED IT! :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Sometimes you get lucky Jeff! My neighbor across the road used to plow my driveway if the snow was really deep, or he saw my tuck was still at home during working hours, he assumed I was sick (always correct). He was a great guy, I miss him a lot, gone too soon. 

sawguy21

Quote from: rubberfish on June 22, 2019, 02:20:37 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on June 22, 2019, 12:14:21 PM
the exposed wall is covered with Tyvek. The back yard is a mess, junk building material, a broken green house and an expensive riding mower sitting out in the weather.
You have just described most of Surrey B.C.  :D  :D  :D
I think we've all had a neighbour like that. And some of us are that guy.  :o
:D We lived in Surrey, I hear ya.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

Quote from: Jeff on June 26, 2019, 08:25:45 PMI get up this morning and woe! Tree service is next door taking it down!

For a second I thought this was going to turn into one of those "they were at the wrong address" stories. :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mrcaptainbob

Born and raised in Detroit. Moved to the 'burbs, finally to paradise. 20 acres in a very rural area of Michigan. I've been fortunate to not have the sorry stories many of you have experienced. Where we now live I can truly say is outstanding. Of the few 'neighbors' we have there have been but two issues. Fence neighbor to the north had a derelict son that trespassed. Was fast becoming an issue. The neighbor passed and it got sold to someone (so far) seems much better. The other 'issue's neighbor hit golf balls into the trees north of my barn. He lives across the road. Finding golf balls all over. Even in the driveway. We had the talk and that has not happened anymore. Except for those, all the others are truly treasures. Here's how it works in this area: A guy is doing a project. Maybe drilling a new well, maybe a re-roof job on a two story. WITHOUT INVITATION!! one, sometimes more, neighbors will pull up in a tractor or their truck and start 'doing'.
Yeah. Paradise can be described as peace and tranquility.
As a place with critters from deer, coyotes and turkeys by the dozen.
Paradise is also living with kind hearted people that, in more than a couple places, turned into dear Friends.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 24, 2019, 04:38:24 PM
Just to close this off (hopefully), I drove past yesterday and had to peek. he has 4 trees down and limbed, none are bigger than 8" on the stump. All softwoods. All the limbs lay were they fell, and he has at least one bucked into 2' lengths. They also lay where he cut them. he cut from 11am until 9pm with only 2 half hour breaks. He's got stamina, I will give him that. Monday morning everything was still laying where is was cut Saturday.
6 days later and everything is still laying where it fell.

Southside

You mean it's not like deer meat? Don't need to dry age the wood?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

TKehl

And this is why we bought the neighbors place when it came up for sale...   ;) 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Jeff

We just got a new neighbor RIGHT behind my polebarn and the other end of my property.  Best friend of the fence guy. :-\

HOWEVER, the new neighbor stopped by this spring and asked if we had a preference to what side of the fence faced us he was putting up. HECK NO!  Your choice! 8)  Whatever is good for you is good for me! 8)   So he put it up. its a full 4ft on one end from the property line and almost 6 feet to the other. His property drops off to mine from the previous owner who filled it in so he was avoiding that and trees.

So now!  I have a privacy fence behind my pole barn and didn't have to no nuthin!!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I dunno Jeff, it seems like you stepped in something lately. Send some of that karma my way, would ya?

Pine Ridge

Mrcaptainbob it sounds like you have good neighbors, helping each other on projects. It sure isn't like that here. If I start a chainsaw or any machine that could be used to work with around here this neighborhood is a ghost town ! I loaded, hauled, and stacked 14 big pickup loads of wood here awhile back over about a weeks time that I had stacked in the woods across from the house. This place was deserted until I got it all hauled.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Downstream

We have had mostly good neighbors over the years where we have lived but a few bad ones from time to time.  Currently, we have 5 families around us all with 2+ Acres and surrounded by 1000's of acres of forest and a 12,000 acre lake behind so nice privacy if you want or as social as you want.  We all garden, fish, hunt so we are always bartering back n forth.  Socially we are similar, politically we are similar so it is the best overall group we have lived around.  You could ask any of them for anything and the answer would be yes and do you need help with it.  We have been here 13 years as the newest people and a couple grew up on this land before there was a lake here.  We think about getting out of Illinois from time to time even though we both have lived in the state our whole lives but one of the reasons we stay is our neighbors.  We are very blessed to have them all.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Peter Drouin

After I lost Ann of 35 years together. I thought of selling and downsizing to a smaller house, smaller land, But with the good people on here told me to slow down and think for a while like a year or so.
I did, The best thing I ever did, Thanks, guys. Part of it all was the neighbors I have, there the best. 
Putting all that I have into a trust now, The Drouins will have this land for a long time. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Old Greenhorn

It's good to be reminded that others are blessed with great neighbors. I have several of those who outshine the one that drives me a little crazy. I should have known something was up when he spent last Sunday driving all around his 1 acre lot pulling a 4x6 trailer behind his ATV picking up sticks and the little logs he bucked for 3 hours. It looked pretty good but he left one stalk that he had limbed. Maybe it was too big for him, it was 8" at the butt and about 25' long.
Sure enough, he had a party today, didn't invite any of the neighbors (which was good, we would have had to make an excuse) but it did irk me a bit considering how many tools and time he has borrowed from me with a hard luck story. No, I really just wanted a day of peace for the wife and I, we have lots of stuff we needed to get done and were working all day since around 5:30.
So tonight he starts setting off fireworks, which are legal here. Common sense is also legal here. He has an acre, we are all surrounded by woods, his fireworks and mis-fires are bouncing off the trees. I saw one bounce off my shed. So I stood out in the dark supervising their antics because I thought there should be at least one adult present to call the fire department when the woods went up. They never saw me in the dark. Everything seemed to fizzle out. The Haines index is up at 4 right now. Not the best time to be doing this with bad aim. There was a break in 'the program' and I noticed a lot of flashlight beams swinging around. The women asked the men if they 'were done' and I heard some mumbled replies, then men talking. A few minutes later the program resumed with less speed. Pretty sure something happened but may never find out. Some of those shots were going off at alarmingly low angles and shooting through the trees into the brush piles above the swamp. I'll go out in another 1/2 hour and check on things. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll see what the damage is, if any. I hate finding fireworks carcasses on my roof, That really pithes me off.
I just needed to vent here to some sympathetic ears. I am not going to talk to other neighbors about this, it would be bad-mouthing the guy. I won't do that. I can't talk to my wife about it because it just gets her worked up. My place is not something out of Better Homes and Gardens, but his place is a dump and the pile just gets bigger. It just seems like he is ignorant that there is anyone around him. If he had 5 acres or more, that would be one thing, but on a single acre, it's a bit much since he makes no effort to keep his collection neat, it's just piles and it stays where he drops it. I may have to put up a fence, which is a major expense and it will not conceal the mess, it will just be a band aid.

Pine Ridge

I met a man and his wife a couple weeks ago that bought a place a quarter of a mile from us. Ice storm last winter had knocked over 2 white oaks at the edge of one of their fields, both were big trees, they said i could have them both if i wanted them. I finished them up yesterday, got 2 and a half cords of firewood out of them, took down another one close that the top had broke out of it, and then took out a big hazard tree leaning over his gate that was dead and ready to come down in the next storm. Very nice honest down to earth hard working folks, tickled to death they are neighbors and new friends.

mike_belben

My neighbor shoots meth and screams at me to get out of his house.  One of these days one of us is gonna wind up injured over it.  

Praise The Lord

Pine Ridge

Mike we have some of them here too. It really did me some good to see good folks move in here.

Old Greenhorn

Sometimes you get lucky...............Sometimes, you don't. A tale of two neighbors.

K-Guy

The last of my bad neighbors moved away 5 or more years ago now........ Does that make me the bad neighbor??? :D :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Peter Drouin

I have one house across from me a 100 yards or so down the street on the third new neighbor. The rest,  we all been together 30+ years. So I went and told the guy right across from me about the house going up for sale.  Well, I guess, [he said] I'll go mark the line so the new guy will know where it is.   :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!