iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber framer to take on stairs and porch in NJ ASAP?

Started by emanaresi, December 30, 2015, 02:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanaresi

We are building a timber framed home in NJ.  The frame has been up and closed in for quite a while.  We are waiting for our timber framer to finish the stairs, porch, and some railings, but it seems at this point that that is not going to happen.  I have given him every opportunity, but we have been waiting over a year, and we will frequently go over a month without any response to emails, calls, and messages...

So, I am looking for a framer who would like to build a set of stairs, it will go from the basement to the first floor and to the second floor, U shaped stairs with landings.  Also a small front porch of white cedar and some other odds and ends.  You can email me if you are interested in talking emanaresi (at) gmail (dot) com

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

emanaresi

John S

The Timber Framers that I know are in NW NJ.  Try the Timber Framers Guild and Cedar Creek Timber Frames (Bob Brohm) (Bob is in New York but he might be willing to travel).  Google Cedar Creek Timber Frames, I have done some milling for him.

John Snyder
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

emanaresi

The home is timberframed, the intention is for the stairs to be timber framed to match the rest of the house.  Now, they don't actually have to have authentic joinery in them.  They could just appear to be timber framed and I would be ok with that.  But they need to be that flavor (aesthetically).

Thanks for the recomendations, I am still searching and will contact them.

shinnlinger

Have you talked to any local carpenters?  I have built a few frames myself but my stairs have never been anything beyond ordinary, so I  Googled "timber framed stairs"  Virtually every image I see there are standard stairs but use 4x material as opposed to 2x stock.  I would think any carpenter worth his or her salt could make you a satisfactory set if they just upsize the materials.  They could use timber lock screws and plug the holes and you are on your way. 

What makes a set of stairs "timber framed"

Good luck.

Dave
Shinnlinger

maineframer

We have crafted several stair cases that were timber framed.
These generally consist of heavy timber stringers (3x12) & 3 x 11 treads.
We have  used white pine, hemlock & oak.
We like to fully house the treads into the stringers & champher the leading edge of the treads as well as the inside of the stringers.
I respectfully disagree that timber framed  stairs are the same as stick framed stairs albeit  ramped up in size.
Stairs are not rocket science  but, not just any carpenter  can call themselves a proficient stair builder.
David

shinnlinger

I stand corrected..   Is there joinery involved other than housing the treads?  What you described is different than what a google search showed, which appears to simply be 3 or 4x material screwed together.   I am trying to help the OP with his issue and if he likes what he sees on a a google search, he me have some local options.  As you say, it is not rocket science.
Shinnlinger

emanaresi

Since the rest of the house is actually authentic mortise and tennon hand cut timber framed, I would like to keep the stairs true to form.  But we are nearing the point of desperation....  It is not a simple staircase, it will rise from the basement to the second floor in a U shape.  The desire is for the railings to all be joined in a similar fashion to the rest of the house.  But that was all when the original timber framer was on board with building them.

Something like this:

submarinesailor

I recommend you contract Will Beemer at the Heartwood School: request@heartwoodschool.com.  I have always enjoyed learning from him at several Timber Framers Guild events.

I just thought of an other real good outfit.  Check with the Holder Brothers TImber Frames:  info@holderbros.com

Bruce

maineframer

Shinlinger,

Yes, there is joinery involved  in all of our stairs.
The railing system is generally joined using mortise and tenon joinery.
If planned  from the beginning we join all of the posts into the floor using tenons.

Emanaresi----this is a great looking  staircase.
Are the ballarsters steel?
David

shinnlinger

I can see now that there is a graphic, that the railings would best be left to someone who has cut a few joints before.  That said, housed treads are not exclusive to timber framing and if this pic was shown to a few local carpenters you might get some assistance.  You may end up with black pipe railings or something but it sounds like the OP is at wits end and looking to move on his project.
Shinnlinger

maineframer

Yes, absolutely. That is a fine looking staircase rendering.
David

Thank You Sponsors!