iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New wood stove

Started by Bill Gaiche, January 31, 2013, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

If I remember corectly when I was a kid our heatrola in the living room had a swinging flap covering about a third of the door opeming.  Allowed bigger wood to go in and still have the baffel.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

A lot of older stoves had as winged flap .It also helps if the draft is as low as the bottom of the fire rather than over it .I mean it will still draw but just blows more smoke when the door is opened .

Grates won't do you much good burning wood unless you have an ash pan .Besides once you get about an inch or so of ash in the bottom it acts like an insulator .

Bill Gaiche

drobertson, I cut a 6"x3/16" the width of the stove. Attached it to the front lip and angled it down toward the back of the box yesterday morning. Still have a plenty of room to load the wood. I removed the 6" metal that I had installed earlier to the top front to make the opening smaller. I believe this deflector will make it work better now. The reason I installed the grates was , when building a new fire it seems to help keep the wood up some off the bottom so it can get better air to the fire. If the deflector isn't enough I can add a few more inches to it and have it hinged so I can swing it up out of the way while loading with wood. The air vents in the front lets the air hit pretty much toward the middle and down of the fire. If needed I can add a little deflector to the inside of the door to flow the air down toward the bottom.  It worked pretty good yesterday. Just need to burn more wood and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help. bg

Thank You Sponsors!