iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My very first wack of logs

Started by Crusarius, February 19, 2018, 06:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

I picked up my very first wack of logs this weekend. I am wondering if now that I am so close to having a running sawmill will I get alot of calls from ppl just wanting the logs gone?

Here is what I got. The picture is missing 1 log that I had to go back and get today. That is a 5x8 trailer for reference. the one log that is missing is the biggest of the group and is black walnut with a nice curve to it.

firefighter ontheside

I have over 200 friends on Facebook.  Every so often I post that I'll take any logs/trees they don't want.  I've gotten numerous logs that way.  When I posted my million FB, several people expressed an interest in having me cut stuff for them or a family member and offered me logs.  You might need a bigger trailer.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

yea. I was thinking about building a bigger trailer with a slight V to is specifically for logs. Make it deck over with stake pockets for loading ramps on either side and winch mount. The V would help keeping the logs from rolling right off the other side.

Could be a pain if I want to use the trailer for stacking skids though. I think I could make it work.

Of course I still only have a half ton so that would need to get upgraded to.

starmac

What are your plans for the lumber?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

starmac

I would just make the deck flat and keep a couple of stakes to put in which ever side you need them to keep the logs from rolling off.

firefighter ontheside

It seems like we always have one piece of equipment that's in adequate.  I have am 18' trailer, a 1 ton truck, but a little tractor.  I keep hinting to the wife that I need a bigger tractor, but she isn't convinced.  Maybe I can play on the fact that I almost turned my little Kubota over twice the other day.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

KirkD

Quote from: Crusarius on February 19, 2018, 07:15:43 PM
yea. I was thinking about building a bigger trailer with a slight V to is specifically for logs. Make it deck over with stake pockets for loading ramps on either side and winch mount. The V would help keeping the logs from rolling right off the other side.

Could be a pain if I want to use the trailer for stacking skids though. I think I could make it work.

Of course I still only have a half ton so that would need to get upgraded to.
Log trucks are flat across the bed but have arms to keep them from rolling off. Besides at some point you want them to roll off. :D
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Crusarius

We will start by making it smaller :)

Other than that, I have no idea. I have these delusions of grandeur about making my kitchen look like it has live trees growing in the walls and across the ceiling. I need to rewire the entire kitchen since I have to walk all the way across it to turn on the lights. So I was thinking instead of removing all the drywall and doing it right I would surface mount everything then cover it up with tree pieces.

My primary goal for the sawmill is to cut all the spruce I have where I want my shop and then build my shop. These logs just happened to be a guy at work wanting them gone.

I am sure I will get some crazy ideas for the wood after I get it cut. Or maybe sell it to finance the shop? I dunno. 

Crusarius

Maybe I have to build a side dump V bed trailer? would work real nice for alot of things. And the side dump is just super kool :)

starmac

And turn over real easy, I can't imagine a bumper light duty side dump.

Crusarius

I don't see how they would turn over any easier than anything else? I know rear dump is less stable all the way up. The side dump would not have to go up as far as rear dump.

Southside

All that weight suddenly going to one side without the benefit of a frame connected 5th wheel to distribute the torque to one or more additional axles, definitely very unstable.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

starmac

Apparently you have never turned over a side dump, or even watched the wheels come off the ground everytime they dump. The weight of 3 axle side dumps hold them down better than just 2 axle rigs, but I have followed them round after round all day long watching them get 2 foot of air under the tires each and every time they dump, not to mentioned turned one over myself.

climber2

Have fun with your first pile o dust. I still remember the feeling of opening my first log... With a chainsaw mill, Alaskan style. Like everyone says on here, have fun with it
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Brad_bb

I agonized over my first cuts, afraid I was taking too much or not enough.  Now I can pretty much eyeball it and go.  You do want to have a plan for what you want to cut.  I cut my first wood too thin.  I wanted 1x so I cut 4/4 according to the scale on my woodmizer.  Later I found out that I really want to cut 5/4 If I want to end up  planing to 3/4.  You also have to be careful of cupping.  On smaller logs like that you might want to cut a little thicker to account for that.  My 5/4 on my LT15 isn't actually 1.25", but more like 1 1/8".
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

4/4 should get you 1 1/8" on a Woodmizer scale. smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad murdock

Congratulations on the first whack of logs! Looking good!!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Crusarius

Quote from: starmac on February 19, 2018, 08:07:35 PM
Apparently you have never turned over a side dump, or even watched the wheels come off the ground everytime they dump. The weight of 3 axle side dumps hold them down better than just 2 axle rigs, but I have followed them round after round all day long watching them get 2 foot of air under the tires each and every time they dump, not to mentioned turned one over myself.

That is why I asked. I do not have any experience with them at all. Thanks for the insight. definitely something I will keep in mind if I ever get around to building one.

Crusarius

I should probably figure out what I want to do with the lumber before I cut it. I was thinking about 2" slabs with the black walnut that has the sweep. That would make some  real nice benches. Maybe a pretty sweet table. I dunno. Will figure it out before I cut. I am working on the guards on my sawmill. Once those are done I will be ready to cut. After running the mill without the guards one time I don't want to do that again.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Crusarius on February 19, 2018, 07:15:43 PM
yea. I was thinking about building a bigger trailer with a slight V to is specifically for logs. Make it deck over with stake pockets for loading ramps on either side and winch mount. The V would help keeping the logfrom rolling right off the other side.

I use a convertible trailer configuration I use for hauling logs as well as flat packs of lumber.  This is the second trailer I've configured like this, and I use it constantly.  The 4x4 steel crossbars allow easy access underneath to load or unload material with forklifts and loaders, and the side standards come off when not needed.  It's easy to roll logs over the stubs of required if the logs are too heavy.  There are detailed pictures in my gallery.
Log Trailer -

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

Thanks yellowhammer. that is really helpful. I like that idea a lot. That could even be adapted to fit on a trailer that is not deck over. The fork access under it is also very nice feature.

isawlogs

Nice logs, wish I had some nice walnut logs like that to play with!  :)

I have an older lt40hd, the 4/4 scale saws out to 1 1/8 finished.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 19, 2018, 09:20:55 PM
4/4 should get you 1 1/8" on a Woodmizer scale. smiley_headscratch
My 4/4 scale gives me 1 1/16" lumber. I made up my own scale to get 1 1/8" lumber.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Jim, does your scale have markings on the back? Both the '92 and '94 mills I've run had two types of scales. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!