iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How long is split and stacked firewood viable as firewood.

Started by mart, August 24, 2014, 06:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mart

This has never come up till now because I've never been more than two years ahead on firewood. I am currently two years ahead on split, stacked and cured firewood under cover. With what I cut this year I'll easily get 4-5 years out. In our area, air dried wood can get down to 12%. My question is, does firewood get to a point where it is less valuable as firewood? I know it does if allowed to get punky or rotten, but I'm referring to split, stacked, cured and under cover with good ventilation and on pallets.

Most of my firewood is birch, really the only decent firewood in my area of Alaska. I do have a little spruce and cottonwood mixed in; both incidental to the sawmill. It is used in a wood stove, no outside boilers or other wood burners.

What are some of your thoughts on the value of firewood stored in this manner after it gets out there 5-6 years?
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

beenthere

Quotedoes firewood get to a point where it is less valuable as firewood?

Not due to age or due to moisture content. The drier the better, IMO.
Some like to burn wood when it is green or high in moisture, maybe because they feel it lasts longer in the burn. However, moisture robs BTU's so it has to be taken into consideration.

If kept dry and off the ground, it will last forever (or nearly so).

Remove wood from a 100 or 150 yr old house or barn, and it will be dry, solid, strong, and burn very well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Look at what happens when a 100 year old wooden building catches fire? Plenty have firewood value left  :o

Unless it rots, or bugs eat it, no worries. It will stay around 12% moisture indefinately.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SLawyer Dave

If it remains dry and stacked with good ventilation, should be good for years.  However, eventually you will have increased Wood Destroying Organism problems.  There are a number of different insects who love to lay their eggs in untreated dry and dead wood.  Then the larval stage will eat the wood.  You will see increased evidence of "wood powder" or a fine saw dust sifting out of the lumber.  Eventually that will very much degrade the btu value of the wood.   If stacked/stored in a building made out of  untreated wood, these pests can also transfer into the structure.  So that is another concern with leaving firewood for "years" in a structure. 

r.man

A friend of mine burns 7 yr old mixed hardwood that would include birch. He is an older man who has been gradually building up his stockpile for the time when he can't cut his own wood. He says there is not problem and he doesn't really notice any difference between it and younger wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

clww

It will last indefinitely as long as it stays dry and no wood-eating critters devour it. 
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mart

I had the same thoughts but was the question came up recently in a discussion and I thought I would poll the experts.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Thank You Sponsors!