iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry After Military Career

Started by The Four, August 22, 2012, 01:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Four

Howdy
I am a high school senior, who has plans for the future. I plan to attend Texas A&M University and major in Forestry. When I graduate, I plan to enlist in the U.S. Navy and I will strive to be a part of Naval Special Warfare. After serving NSW for a few years, (I don't know how many, time will tell, but I would guess 8-16) I will retire from the military and find work as a Forester. The military will give me great work experience with different people all over the world (so working with others should not be difficult), and great abilities to lead others and to be an excellent team player (Especially since I plan to be in Special Operations). So, I would imagine that I would have applicable experiences and would seem very employable, but I am concerned over the amount of time that would have lapsed between college and looking for employment. What I am curious to know is will I have a chance at finding a job after being out of college for so many years, or is there something that I would need to do differently?
Thanks

Migal

Leave room to Live age happen's work is available for the able GL in all you do!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
You have made some very specific plans, and that is good to have your goals.
I'd suggest planning one more goal, and that would be to get out of the NSW and enroll in a Masters program in Forestry. That will/should put you back into the new techniques available for 20+ years down the road.
In the meantime, while in the Navy, keep up your membership in the associations of your profession, such as the Society of American Foresters. Keep in close touch with your professors, and give some support to the Department in any way that you can.
Wish you the best.
As Migal says, enjoy the University, keep your nose clean, and get involved in as many Forestry activities that you can. Everyone will then benefit from those experiences. Learn as much as you can, and the reasons that you are being taught some things that at the time might not make much sense.
8)

Keep active in this Forum and you will learn a lot as well. But don't let it get too addictive, or your studies may take a hit. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

The Four

Alright, will do!
I greatly appreciate the advice gents, thank you.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, The Four. :)
As I will be officially retired on 31 AUG after 26 years in the military (20 USN), I wish you luck. Spec Ops is tremendously demanding, both mentally AND physically. Hopefully you are prepared ahead of time. Having goals is very important, so I applaud your drive and ambition. Life is an adventure; make the most of every opportunity. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

terry f

Nice to see you have a plan and goals. If you want to go the Navy route, I'd say do that first. A lot will change the next 5 years from high school to graduating college.

westyswoods

I would suggest doing the military right out of high school also. If you are a responsible person and sure sounds like it, the military gives you many options and will surely open your eyes to what you may or may not want for the future. Military first, also will help pay for your schooling while allowing you to get as much education online and through other sources. This will be of great value and give you a huge jump on school when you get out.

The other factor you must consider is the Defense Department is going to be undergoing some major changes in the very near future. If you can get in now do it, as in a few years it may not be the case.
Another word of caution, your desired military career path is admirable (NSW). Is this attainable? I have seen many young men and woman with goals such as yours. Reality is few make it for whatever reason.

If you have a recruiter that is giving you a song and dance about this or that, you need to understand they have one thing in mind and that is getting your name on the paper.

Please don't misunderstand, I am a absolute believer in all young men and woman should serve in the military or some form of public service. Hell I am an advocate of bringing back the draft.  Just walk cautiously and hold your head high with pride, no matter the path you take.

Good Luck
Westy (Westyswoods)
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

WDH

I agree that serving your Military time first, then Forestry School second, is the best way to go.  A couple of my friends did this very successfully.  Actually, their maturity and Military experience gave them an advantage when competing for Forestry positions.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2012, 09:33:13 PM
Military experience gave them an advantage when competing for Forestry positions.

This is perticulary true when appling for Ferderal Government positions.  Just for being a vertern, you will get what is called a 5 point advantage, 10 points if you are service disabled.  And in this job market, any advantage you can get helps out.  The 5 points also helps me each time I apply for a new position within the government.

Bruce

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    The Four   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

There's more than a little truth to the old sayin, leave home and join up as a boy, come home as a man. A hitch in the military will open up opportunities and connections that wouldn't dream of, not to mention the personal friendships.
A letter of commendation in my service record for some technical work I did got me an entry into the world of computers back when there was no such thing as computer science. (like 1959). The friendships will last a lifetime. I got out in 1958, and still keep in touch with some of my buddies... Go for it...
Oh, and by the way, if you are so inclined and qualify, some of the military technical schools are first rate...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

The Four

Quote from: westyswoods on August 22, 2012, 03:41:29 PM

If you have a recruiter that is giving you a song and dance about this or that, you need to understand they have one thing in mind and that is getting your name on the paper.

Please don't misunderstand, I am a absolute believer in all young men and woman should serve in the military or some form of public service. Hell I am an advocate of bringing back the draft.  Just walk cautiously and hold your head high with pride, no matter the path you take.

I appreciate your advice, thank you. I haven't even talked to a recruiter about NSW seriously yet. I've only talked to a former operator  ;D

Quote from: pineywoods on August 23, 2012, 09:37:42 PM
leave home and join up as a boy, come home as a man. A hitch in the military will open up opportunities and connections that wouldn't dream of, not to mention the personal friendships.
. The friendships will last a lifetime. I got out in 1958, and still keep in touch with some of my buddies... Go for it...

I see, that is something to certainly look forward to, and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Quote from: clww on August 22, 2012, 01:13:52 PM
I wish you luck. Spec Ops is tremendously demanding, both mentally AND physically. Hopefully you are prepared ahead of time. Having goals is very important, so I applaud your drive and ambition. Life is an adventure; make the most of every opportunity. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thank you.
I am preparing as much as I can, thanks for the help.
Quote from: submarinesailor on August 23, 2012, 07:35:03 AM
Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2012, 09:33:13 PM
Military experience gave them an advantage when competing for Forestry positions.

This is perticulary true when appling for Ferderal Government positions.  Just for being a vertern, you will get what is called a 5 point advantage, 10 points if you are service disabled.  And in this job market, any advantage you can get helps out.  The 5 points also helps me each time I apply for a new position within the government.
I see, thanks for the tip!
Quote from: terry f on August 22, 2012, 02:26:01 PM
    Nice to see you have a plan and goals. If you want to go the Navy route, I'd say do that first. A lot will change the next 5 years from high school to graduating college.
Very true, thanks. It's a little scary, too.

Quote from: Magicman on August 23, 2012, 05:55:05 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    The Four   :)
Thank you, I'm glad to be here!

clww

I'll also echo some other advice earlier concerning the recruiters. ANYTHING they say, get it in writing! If you have any questions about contracts or that which is written on them, scan them and send them to me at my email address-clww at cox dot net.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

I'd agree that the preferred route would be joining the military first and then going on to forestry school with your GI Bill benefits earned and then have the 5-10 point Veteran's preference for government employment with the USFS, BLM, F & WLS etc.

That's the route that I took in 1953. Joined the Navy at 17, then the Navy's corpsman school, then the Fleet Marine force as a corpsman with the 3rd Marines Recon Unit, and then to Michigan Tech's Forestry School, and then the USFS with the help of the 5 point veteran's preference for 38 years. Retired form USFS and have been a consulting forester now for 17 years. Had a lot of great training and experiences along the way.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!