iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little advice for a simple fix.....I hope....GOT IT FIXED! :-)

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 28, 2015, 06:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the LT40 Simple Set.

On the left side of the simple set box is the forward and reverse handle for the head movement.

Now....the little spring broke that flips the handle back to neutral when the head is in reverse. It is located behind the drum switch and I can see it hanging.

My new spring arrive today. I know I'm gonna have to take the switch out to replace it. Do I have to take all the wires off it or will I be able to gently pull the switch out and leave all the wires connected?
Do I need to disconnect the battery cable ......lots of wires in that box?

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

I would on hook the battery for sure be for baaaaad things happen
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Jim_Rogers

I replaced my spring once. It was a long time ago. I can't remember if I had to undo the wires or not. But I would guess for sure that I disconnected the battery.

If you have to disconnect the wires be sure to properly label them. Or attach them to an old broken switch so you know where they connect.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MartyParsons

Hello,
Should not be a to difficult job. I would also think removing the battery ground terminal would be a good idea. You should be able to remove the access cover behind the switch and remove the front cover. I have not replace a spring in some time. You can remove the screws that hold the switch in place and help with access to the spring keepers. There is a little arm with a round roller you will need to get the spring on this first. You could thread a fine wire on the spring end to aid pulling the spring to the keeper. 
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I never even gave the back panel any thought.  :D

Thanks Marty.

MartyParsons

There should be a square box or cover right behind the drum switch. If you have Lube Mizer option you can remove it to gain access to the rear of the switch. If you do not have LMS there will still be a cover there. Four screws and you are in.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 28, 2015, 10:06:24 PM
There should be a square box or cover right behind the drum switch. If you have Lube Mizer option you can remove it to gain access to the rear of the switch. If you do not have LMS there will still be a cover there. Four screws and you are in.
M

Yep, I have LMS.....no problem.....sometimes going in the back door is safer than the front door.  :)
Thanks  Marty and the rest.

Darrel

Oh, there's a spring in there?  I must have bought my new to me mill with the spring already broken, because I've always had to manually returned the leaver back to the off position. Guess I'll have a look in the AM.  Good thing I read this thread.  Thanks!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Got it fixed.

I did exactly what Marty said. I took the lube control box off and the front panel.
This let enough light in to see everything. Took the drum switch out the front as far as I could and with a pair of needles nose, removed the broken spring.

Installed the bottom of the spring and then did what Marty suggested........took a piece of wire and pulled the other end of the wire right where it was suppose to go. Sorta like working on a watch but the advice i got made it so simple.

Back like a new one now.  :) Thanks Marty.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!