iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for input

Started by KDEC19, January 03, 2012, 08:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

A few things before i order a lt 40 mill..... :)   r the performance blade guides worth the 200.........should it get the extra side supports .......and just to make it interesting and would like to hear the whys........walk....ride......or remote.......
gonna do it again......

Magicman

Personally, "No" on the blade guides.  They take up throat space and limit the size log that you can saw. 

"No" on the extra side supports unless most of your logs will be 8' or less.  Then it depends upon whether you want to take a few steps to raise the manual side supports.  If you will be continually sawing short stuff, then "Yes".

I ride which puts me closer to the sawing action which I like.  But, it you have an "ill wind", you can not just move the console to get out of the blowing sawdust.  I have been very miserable sawing sometimes, but since I grew up with an operator's seat, I probably would choose that option again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I agree with Magicman on the blade guides, if those are the ones that have the bottom support. If a blade is gonna dive, its going to dive. The extra side supports may be a good thing, depending on what you think you will ever cut. You can always use the manual ones, but I think that is one feature I would put in there. I can't see any downside to it, outside of cost. Concerning the seat-what do you plan on cutting? The seat does help when you are doing grade cutting. It also shortens the distance you can cut, though the seat removes pretty easily. If you are doing a lot of specialty cutting such as quartersawn, it is nice to be right there, rub the dust off, and see what you have. But as he said, it can be miserable for the operator when the wind isn't right. Also, if you are working alone and have to offbear, it can be a pain. Think about what you plan on cutting, taking into account any changes to future plans you think might happen.

Magicman

One other point on the side supports.  When sawing knotty or gnarly logs, the extra supports can be a real pain or a real help depending upon where they contact the log.  With the manual, you can raise or lower one to contact or move it away from an irregularity.  With the powered side supports, they are all 4 there whether you want them or not.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on January 03, 2012, 09:19:42 AM
One other point on the side supports.  When sawing knotty or gnarly logs, the extra supports can be a real pain or a real help depending upon where they contact the log.  With the manual, you can raise or lower one to contact or move it away from an irregularity.  With the powered side supports, they are all 4 there whether you want them or not.
Exactly, the reason why I've not coupled in my manual uprights.  Sometimes I really need to adjust one different from the other.   But might be a wash overall with the times I wish I could power them down.  Hey maybe one could design a linkage that would send them up or down under hydraulic control, but still let one or the other be pulled manually further up???
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

KDEC19
I have the Hi-Performance blade guides on my mill, well, they're not really on the mill, they're sitting on the sharpening bench.

I was told by the folks at Wood-Mizer Hannibal that the Hi-Performance blade guides really come into play when you have a mill with the larger engines, not 20-25 hp.  They were on the mill when I bought it.

Also, they do limit how big and how small you can cut.
They will hit the clamp on my mill if I'm cutting 1 inch lumber.

The reason they are on my bench is because I'm going to go to Hannibal and get myself a set of the original blade guide rollers!

When I do that, I'll find out what I could expect to get for the H-P set, because they're up for sale.

I think that if I were ordering a new LT40, I'd opt for the other 2 side supports to be hydraulic.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have the HP blade guides on mine. No complaints so far.

However, I have the extra side supports. I love them!

I saw a lot of 5 and 6 foot slabs from large Oak and Walnut. I saw them for bench builders and furniture makers.

I get a lot of logs from Tree Service guys and sometimes a 5 - 6 foot and sometimes 4 foot log with a large diameter is all the weight they can pick up. I just HATE to see that short wood go to waste.

So I guess it just depends what market you plan on sawing in.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

KDEC19

also thoughts on the 28 hp gas vs 38 gas...do not have the pesos for diesel.  >:(to me it seems like 800 more for the hp might be worth it pull through big logs...
gonna do it again......

smwwoody

More power more better.    More power more better.    More power more better.    More power more better.    More power more better.    More power more better.   
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Did I mention get as much power as you can and then a little more

Ohh Yea    More power more better.   
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jim H

I have the linked supports and while I'll admit they've gotten in the way a few times, I wouldn't want to be without them. Many times a customer has short logs, they also work great for 8-9 footers that are slightly off center. I normally walk, but I have a seat that I use sometimes, usually at the end of a long week when my feet are getting a little tired. The remote looks nice but the track is in a bad spot if a beam or log falls off the mill, also there alot of long wires flexing with each pass of the head, might be trouble after several thousand hours.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

cypresskayaksllc

I like the remote. I havent tried the walk or ride. I dont use my manual supports that much. But if someone gave me some hydraulic supports Id take them.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

MartyParsons

Hello
I like the extra side supports. The mills I see with it on have less issues with back supports needing alighned. So I would guess the extra area gives less stress on just two.
I usually add the guides if I have over 40 hp you must also add lube mizer option. If you push the mill to the limit they will do what they are designed to do.
I like the command control mill on the Super. They have increased the up down motor size which increased up down speed on the standard LT40.
The 29 hp Kohler works great. There is a big difference from the 28hp Kohler. The 28 and the 29 are fuel injected and the 38 hp is carb.

Not sure if my opinion counts, but you asked.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

zopi

Get the biggest engine you can afford...sacrifice toys for horsepower if necessary.
I have no opinion on the back supports, other than I thonk they are great, bit should be releaseable with a pin or something..

I am not fond of the remote with the cable track....to be fair, I have never used them...but twenty years of being an electronics tech in a harsh environment leads me to shy away from anything that puts cable through a mechanical assembly like a cable track.....I have just rebuilt too many cables. Now that wireless remote....that thing interests me.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

SAWMILL BUDDY

I have the extra back supports. I am always cutting short logs for customers. Thats just one more service you can provide. ;)

Dan_Shade

I have the bibby backstop mod, I like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!