Started by richhiway, May 08, 2019, 08:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Peter Drouin

I just got my diamond cbn to sharpen the carbide blades I have.
I think I will not run them too long, Just a day or two. so I won't have to take too much off to get it sharp.
I did a bunch of reg 7.  some I use this past winter. Some I had to go around 2/3 times to get them sharp.
The carbide blades cut frozen Hemlock real well.
I ordered more carbide blades.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Stephen1

I was having problems with 10's they gave me with the new LT40. Wavey wood, just a mess, spent time trying to adjust the new mill, I was sawing semi frozen pine, WM sent me a 7carbide. What a difference,  I ran that blade for over 2000 bd ft of the pine, I ordered more 7 carbides and also 7 turbo's. There is just no comparison to the 7's carbide or turbo's.
The 10's are just hanging in the shop, I might use them for logs I think have hardware in them. 
I believe that we all will end up with the 7's, even the guys with the smaller horsepower mills. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

Just regrind the 10's to 7's.  I never had any luck with 10's either.  All I use are standard 7's but have a couple carbides to try. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

My bandsaw sharpener is set at 7 degrees and that's where it stays. Next band order I may try 4's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Stephen1

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 09, 2019, 09:07:04 AM
Just regrind the 10's to 7's.  I never had any luck with 10's either.  All I use are standard 7's but have a couple carbides to try.
YH I'm not against regrinding to 10-7 does it seem to bother the CBN wheel at all? How many times around does it take to reshape?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

richhiway

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 09, 2019, 07:56:36 PM
My bandsaw sharpener is set at 7 degrees and that's where it stays. Next band order I may try 4's. Frank C.
I just sawed up some Cherry and Maple and used a 4 degree blade. worked fine.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

YellowHammer

With my BMS 250, it takes three grinds to make a complete new profile to go from 10 to 7.  The first cut grazes the full face and puts the new angle on it and gets 3/4 of the gullet except the back top of the tooth tip.  The second cut goes a little deeper and gets the full profile but is a pretty aggressive drop.  The third cut is a light confirmation cut to make sure the whole profile is fully developed.  My BMS 250 will do a pass in 2.5 minutes, so 7.5 minutes per band to re-profile.  

I've seen no damage to the CBM, the key is to grind moderately when reshaping.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Stephen1 on May 09, 2019, 09:00:16 AM
I was having problems with 10's they gave me with the new LT40. Wavey wood, just a mess, spent time trying to adjust the new mill, I was sawing semi frozen pine, WM sent me a 7carbide. What a difference,  I ran that blade for over 2000 bd ft of the pine, I ordered more 7 carbides and also 7 turbo's. There is just no comparison to the 7's carbide or turbo's.
The 10's are just hanging in the shop, I might use them for logs I think have hardware in them.
I believe that we all will end up with the 7's, even the guys with the smaller horsepower mills.
I have 14HP I would like to try a 7 but every thing I have read says 10 is best for lower HP. I want to get a CBN wheel so I will need to investigate that before I get it. I have 1o 10* bands now!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

YellowHammer

I had an LT15 with a 15 hp engine and my favorite bands were standard 7's, .045".  They worked well. 

I used the same bands on my LT40, and are now using the same angle on my LT70.   
YellowHammerisms:

Mossy Chariot

I've only run 4's on my LT35 which was suggested by WM when I bought the mill. I saw mostly oak and hickory. I plan to try some 7's. What differences can I expect?
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

btulloh

Quote from: Dana Stanley on May 10, 2019, 07:29:23 AMI have 14HP I would like to try a 7 but every thing I have read says 10 is best for lower HP. I want to get a CBN wheel so I will need to investigate that before I get it. I have 1o 10* bands now!

That's what I went through.  I'm not sure why that seems to be the gospel.  Everybody on here with low power that tried 7's has found them to work better.  When I switched to 7 degree Kasko's, it was a big improvement and I'm at 9.5 hp.
HM126

bandmiller2

I may be wrong on this but I believe originally most bands were 10 degree to help the feed on manual push mills. Hold a chisel at 10 degrees and it tends to dig in at 4 degrees it acts like a scraper. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Percy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on May 10, 2019, 07:50:50 PM
I may be wrong on this but I believe originally most bands were 10 degree to help the feed on manual push mills. Hold a chisel at 10 degrees and it tends to dig in at 4 degrees it acts like a scraper. Frank C.

You may have something there......I use 13 degree blades and cut mainly softwood with them Feed rates are fast.....and... they let you know  when they are dull with out a doubt...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!