iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 XP Husq. cracked cylinder head

Started by louiseM, February 19, 2019, 11:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louiseM

Hello, had a fairly new 372XP Husq...I don't have the skill or strength to use it myself,  as a scrawny girl, but have a 20 acre wooded campground, so, we need it. I just got it out of the shop, they put on a new carburetor, cost 450.00, the saw was only 4 years old and not used excessively... After a few uses, it locked up, took it back to the shop, they said the cylinder was cracked and it wasn't worth fixing, they suggested someone mixed the oil incorrectly. I saw the oil get mixed, 8 oz oil in 1 gallon gas, so I don't believe that is true...our maintenance man insists they did something wrong in the shop for the carb repair....so, I had to buy a new one...ouch....going forward, is there any way to know if the cylinder cracked due to user error or repair error?  I will not return to that shop, but, if it was user error, I just want to avoid making the same mistake and don't want to destroy another beautiful  new chainsaw!  Thanks for your thoughts...

LeeB

$450 for a carb or $450 for a new jug? 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

louiseM

Actually,  I remembered wrong,  it was 385.00 to put on a new carburetor, they said it wasn't worth fixing the cracked cylnder...

wiam

Seems pricey. Wether it was a jug or carb.  Shouldn't need a carb at 4 years.

sawguy21

Something very fishy here. Improper oil mix does not crack a cylinder and $385.00 is waaaay out of line for a carburetor. Somebody dropped the saw or they don't know what they are doing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

louiseM

I thought so, too.  Do you know how much a new carburetor should have cost?  Do you know what kind of user error would break a carburetor?

Are you saying the only way to crack a carburetor in a fairly new saw is to drop it?  thx

louiseM

LeeB

I hope you at least got the old saw back. It could have been rebuilt way cheaper than that.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

It didn't cause your problems but 8 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas is waay too much.  2.6 oz. of chainsaw oil per gallon is the normal mix.

I would not return to that repair shop to even say "Good Bye".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

louiseM

Oh...I will look into this, thank you very much, I appreciate the education, I read the oil container we had, 2 cycle oil, and it said to mix the entire container into one gallon....True, will not be returning to that shop

louiseM

OK, am feeling pretty stupid right about now, was figuring a gallon was 16 oz., so 8 oz of oil would be a 50:1

louiseM

Somewhat Handy

That shop wouldn't be long for this world in my home town...

Old Greenhorn

This is why I rarely go to the shops around here. They really have forgotten that good fair service is how you build customer loyalty. They just want your money now. Throw it out and buy another one, don't bother me with repairs. Please don't be offended, but my first thought was that they were taking advantage because you are female. Then I realized, the shops around here are equal opportunity, they take advantage of anyone they can, regardless of sex, so it is probably not that. :) I would give my left [anything] to find a shop I could trust, but the two we have to choose from are both [not so very good].
 I just called for some parts a little while ago and neither shop had them. They both said "throw it out and buy a new one, not worth your time to fix". My question is, how do they know what my time is worth, and why do they feel empowered to tell me how to spend my time?
 Keep looking for an honest shop, there must be one out there. (Let me know when you find it, maybe I will ship my stuff there.)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

To answer your question about what could have been done wrong. When the carb was replaced if the rubber boot was torn or not properly sealed then your saw would run lean, and could lead to another failure. Not saying that is what happened, but it has been done before. 

If this shop is an actual Husky authorized facility I would contact Husky corporate and see if they are willing to do anything. My experience with them as a customer has been quite positive with repair work. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

louiseM

Inaotherlife

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 12:37:12 PM
OK, am feeling pretty stupid right about now, was figuring a gallon was 16 oz., so 8 oz of oil would be a 50:1
8 ounces to 16 ounces is 2:1

8 ounces to a gallon is 16:1. Common in years past with old tecnology oil.

Most newer oils are 2.6 ounces to a gallon, or 50:1.

I doubt you could even start a chainsaw with a 2:1 mix. And after pulling the rope enough times, it could lead to throwing the saw hard enough to crack a cylinder.

louiseM

OK, thanks.  I guess the oil I have is old technology, because the directions say put 8 oz into one gallon....good to know, I have that mix in a little 7 lb climbing saw..

HolmenTree

To be honest I have never in my life seen a cracked cylinder from a saw.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

louiseM

really?  interesting...when I pressed the repair guy to understand the cause he said "a ball-bearing broke,  and bent the pistol,  and that cracked the cylinder...if you want me to be technical"  (add condescending tone)

HolmenTree

Did you ever take or see pics of the damage......odd.....

mike_belben

Yeah im not confident in this shop.  When does a pro saw even need a carb and not just a diaphragm kit?  That price is insane.  Id swap a crankcase out for less. 

Pistons melt and stick to jugs.  A cracked jug sounds hard to do and i have also never seen one in the countless scrapped saws ive rummaged through.  If you had the oil mix you claim, id find it hard to damage a wrist pin or crank bearing.  Itd be swimming in lubrication!   Tear the saw down and show us pics. We can probably tell you how much smoke theyre blowin up your chimney.
Praise The Lord

HolmenTree

When ever I get a shop to repair my vehicles, boat or whatever I always ask to get my old parts back.
Had a few excuses over the years, like "oh the dumpster got hauled away".
Always ask for your old parts back, only time they may refuse is over warranty work. But if it's warranty who cares .

Old Greenhorn

The more I read this the madder I get. That 372 is a great saw and I truly wish I could afford one. Louise, do you do any other business with this shop besides saws? If so, I would cease, but you probably already have. 
 My son brought a saw to a local (supposedly with a decent rep) shop and they ket it for a few days, then told him it needed a new jug, piston, rings, etc. "Just throw it out and buy a new one". I threw some gas in the carb and finds it runs like a bandit. It does need a carb, (12 bucks aftermarket) and some other stuff, but it will run good when I get the time to fix it.
 Maybe I should start a saw shop.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

weimedog

Quote from: louiseM on February 19, 2019, 11:19:10 AM
Hello, had a fairly new 372XP Husq...I don't have the skill or strength to use it myself,  as a scrawny girl, but have a 20 acre wooded campground, so, we need it. I just got it out of the shop, they put on a new carburetor, cost 450.00, the saw was only 4 years old and not used excessively... After a few uses, it locked up, took it back to the shop, they said the cylinder was cracked and it wasn't worth fixing, they suggested someone mixed the oil incorrectly. I saw the oil get mixed, 8 oz oil in 1 gallon gas, so I don't believe that is true...our maintenance man insists they did something wrong in the shop for the carb repair....so, I had to buy a new one...ouch....going forward, is there any way to know if the cylinder cracked due to user error or repair error?  I will not return to that shop, but, if it was user error, I just want to avoid making the same mistake and don't want to destroy another beautiful  new chainsaw!  Thanks for your thoughts...
An OEM Carb is around $60-$90 dollars and 15-20 minutes to replace. Anything over $150 is a royal rip. That's a start.
If you put an 8oz can into one gallon, that's 16:1 ratio....a bit much but isn't going to kill the saw, just going to smoke more that you want and eventually will carbon everything up making a mess.
IN the future a mixture of 32:1 would be 4oz per gallon, and 40:1 3.2oz SOME where in that range is safe.
I have never seen a cracked Cylinder...did he say cylinder or case? Seen a few cracked cases! And more than a few with the PTO bearing pocket ruined. That's a bit more expensive as the saw needs to be disassembled a few hours of work and almost $200 in parts, retail. Combination of parts and labor would push to the $350-$400 range using retail prices & typical shop rates. The kind of thing that kills those 372's cases are things like running the chain too tight, or running a really dull chain. The PTO side bearings... Won't expand on that. BUT run enough oil and keep a sharp chain along with proper Technic those 372 last. Be curious what year that 372 was built, that does matter a bit. Newer ones have some significant upgrades to things like the ignition and a few other things making them easier to live with.

A handy chart here BTW:
2-cycle Engine Fuel Mix Calculators

AND A typical price for an OEM carb for "X-Torq's" ( later than 2010 ):
RWJ-4B-1 WALBRO CARBURETOR OEM GENUINE FOR HUSQVARNA 365Xtorq, 372Xtorq 645380978244 | eBay

Carb for "Origional Editions" Prior to 2010
OEM Husqvarna 503281805 372 XP Carburetor Hd-12B Epa Walbro 705788523054 | eBay!13045!US!-1:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!