iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you match old ER cedar with new?

Started by fishpharmer, February 04, 2011, 11:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I am repairing a cedar jewelry box. It is old and dark colored.  The new base piece I made is bright and pink.  The original finish that will remain is probably varnish. Is there any type finish that will "age" or darken the new cedar base, so it matches?
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
fish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ronwood

I am have the same issue. One of the woodworkers that I cut for suggested that I put the piece out in the sun to darken it. The ERC that I cut will brown after some time in the sun. Will let you know how it works.   In the case of the cedar chest I am repairing I  am removing all the finish and sanding down. The color of the cedar is a light brown.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Dale Hatfield

Can ya sand the old brown off and get back to the pink
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

ARKANSAWYER

You can place it out in sun light for a few hours and it will fade like it is aged.  Also if you sand the whole thing it will be about the same color.
ARKANSAWYER

ronwood

In my case the folks want it to looked aged.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

fishpharmer

Thanks, for the replies.  The piece I am working on is a simple  6 inch by 12 inch box (owned by a female friend).  I think it was dropped (or thrown :o) ).  The top and sides are engraved on the outside.  It seperated on the lap joint corners.  It was easy enough to glue and clamp the joints together.  The bottom was a glued on thin ply.  The feet are cedar.  Only two feet remain.  I decided to just use a solid piece of cedar with a half inch overhang that has a routed edge.  The interior part of the new piece can remain unfinished.  The outside needs to match.  I have some scraps of cedar in the slab pile that had turned brown in the sun (not the right size).  So I will put the new peice on the dash of a parked truck for a couple weeks to see if the sun ages it. 

Thanks again.

Any suggestions on brand or type of varnish to use?  Most finishes at the big "L" owe store are polyurathane.  Only two types of varnish compared to what looks like hundreds of polyurathanes and stains.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

James, not all ERC is the same.  Some trees will be lighter pink and some will be very dark almost purple. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

James,

I like Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane in the Satin sheen.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Tullivor

Is it not surprising the cedar is varnished?  I thought you wanted cedar to breathe?  It smells too good to cover up with varnish!!  But if you have to you have to.  I use minwax polyurethane semi gloss and it puts on a real nice finish, and would darken it up a bit.  What about an option of using a completely different type of wood for the base, something contrasting??  Maybe wouldn't work but just tossing ideas out there!

Thank You Sponsors!