iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyotes

Started by J Beyer, January 01, 2003, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

How rare are coyotes in your part of the U.S.?  Where I live in central Wisconsin they are almost never seen.  Saw my first one ever last night.  Kind of a neat looking animal.  You should have seen it run across the road! :o :o :o  those little critters can run!
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Frank_Pender

JB,  I must have a couple pack of them critter hereabouts.  If it is not very stormy at night around here I can here them down by the mill, which is only about 150 yards form the house.  The help in keeping the road kill dear cleaned up as well as great mousers in and around the fields and new tree plantings.   8)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

We have plenty of coyotes here, but they are rarely seen.  It's easier to find a timber wolf than a coyote.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ADfields

Coyotes are very hard to find in my part of Alaska, the wolf numbers keep the yotes in check.   The old timers say yotes are quite new to this part of the state.   I ran a trapline in Arizona for meny years (untell the 1995 traping ban) and on a good year would take 60 or 70 yotes.   My Dad's house in Glendale Arizona (Phoenix berb) is 30 miles or more from the edge of the city and in the last couple years he has been over run with yotes right neer the hart of one the bigest citys in the US, thay live on house cats and small dogs.   On every street corner is a lost pet poster down there and you see yotes neer every day right in town, shows what a traping ban can do.
Andy

Lenny

Plenty of them cyotes here in N.H.Don`t let the cat out after dark.Hear talk about the state reintroducing wolf and mountain lion a bit to the north of us. No reports of wolfs yet but have heard of folks saying they have seen mountain lion.
 Tie a live chicken into a sapling that will bearley hold it with a string into a stand and stirr it up enough to   make noise.If them cyotes are around , you`ll see them at night.
                                              Lenny

Tillaway

Lots of them around my place.  They come right up to the house and dog pen.  They will even chew on the dog food bin right next to the gate to the dog pen.  

I also have foxes or more specifically grey fox on my place.  
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jeff

There are to many here. You dont dare let a bow shot deer go 2 or 3 hours before you track. That used to be the best way. wait an hour or 2 at least letting the deer lie down rather then track right away and chance pusshing a deer that was not hit real well. Now if you wait the Coyotes WILL get it before you. It is simply amazing what a pack can do in an hour. There won't be much left.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

I've worked plenty of places where you hear them at night, I've always assumed that meant a pretty large population :-/. We have a few around but I never hear them so I'm guessing not too many. Neighbor saw a bobcat last week down by the mailbox.

Tom

Georgia and Florida have them.  They were brought in originally to train fox dogs in the fox pens but got away.  Now they have decimated the quail, rabbit and turkey population not to mention the fright they put into peoples pets.

Ron Scott

As Jeff said, we have a lot of them here. See them fairly often while marking timber. A landowner client called me today about hunting some on his property. He had to leave a deer he shot late yesterday in the woods overnight and the coyotes had already gotten to it before he found it today.
~Ron

chet

Lots of them here in UP of Michigan, what is rare is to see one that doesn't have mange. We are allso seeing many more wolves around, had one in the yard this summer at two in the afternoon. :o
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Fla._Deadheader

The only "Coyotes" we have here, are the ones that smuggle the Mexicans in. ::) :P

There are 2 Bobcats that we see on a regular basis, every 2-3 weeks. We live in a "hood" where the lots are 75' X 125', and nearly all are cleared. There's a small woodlot, nearly cleared, right behind us.

See Grey foxes all the time and the coons tear the tops off yer trash cans. Squirrels eat holes in the plastic trash cans.

Feels like the "Urban Wild Outdoors". ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

We have coyotes here in my part of Maine.Heard them the other night howling.The wife saw one come into the field last year.Was a quick one,came into the field,turned and ran into the woods.I never see them.Would like to see them with a gun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Fla._Deadheader

UUUUHHHHHHHHH. I won't touch that last sentence. ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

hawby

Last Summer we had a couple of coyotes trying to sneak up on a cow & calf out in the pasture... right during the daytime. We had been hearing a couple of packs at night, but after we shot the alpha-female, the packs moved on.

I did see a couple back in October and I saw a few tracks during deer season. I don't think we have to large a population though, cause the turkey numbers are still going up.

klh
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Saki

Lots of coyotes here in Indiana. At last time I looked at the regs there was a regular season for hunting and trapping them. There was also an added clause that stated a landowner or tenant had the right to shoot them if doing measurable damage ( livestock I assume). It is routine to hear them at night as well as see them occasionally. Have seen them over at my Christmas Tree Plantation, but don't have livestock so they don't worry me any. They are neat to see and hear occasionally. Saki

Texas Ranger

Texas has got em, saw one a week or so ago at the Johnson Space Center just out of Houston.  Hunting in an open field where the Long Horn Cattle are displayed by the Center folks.  I know, but it's a Texas thing.

We got most of the critters here including a few red wolves that the biologist say don't exist anymore.  Saw two cougar in the last 30 years, one bear, bunch of coyotes, bobcats, ring tailed cats, red and grey fox.   May have some real wolves in the Davis mountains, dont know, still have to make my way out there.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

J Beyer

There is a place that has over 200 Red Wolves after breeding them for many years.  A group of biologists saved the Red Wolf from complete extinction.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Haytrader

Not as many coyotes here as used to be. When I was a kid there was a bounty on them. If you took the ears to the couthouse you could get $2 for them. Then the furs got to be worth $15 to $25 and they started dwindling. When it became politically incorrect to wear fur, fur prices went to $0. Someone else mentioned mange, well there was a lot of that here too. Lately most look healthy although I don't see as many as I used to. Saw a guy hauling Greyhounds the other day. They are about as scarce as the coyotes they hunt. Unless the weather is really bad, I don't worry about them getting a calf as the momma will protect it's baby. But when you lose an animal, the coyotes will help themselves. My son calls them with a tape of a wounded rabbit.
My dad tells of them letting out school when he was a kid for rabbit drives.  They would have a V fence set up with a pen and a lot of people would spread out with sticks and drive the rabbits to the V. He said they most always had a coyote in the drive and that the coyote was in quite a delima, wanting to eat a rabbit but knowing it was in a trap. Once the rabbits were in the pen, they were clubbed to death and sold to mink farms up north. The reason they were unwanted here was because they were destoying the crops
Haytrader

Bro. Noble

Our dogs are talking to them right now.  Three or four coyotes can sound like a whole bunch.  We see them during the day once in a while and often while cutting hay.  They slink along the edge of the field.  I guess they are waiting for us to flush out something for them.  Our tie buyer bow hunts on us and killed a coyote and two deer.

We have a few bears, foxes, bobcats,  and bigger cats (although the conservation commission denied that until recently).  Some people claim to have seen Red wolves recently.  They were supposed to have disappeared in the 50's from this area.

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

MM

i think the yote population where I live is down. Use to hear them every night and always caught a few in my trap line. Seems like I've been seeing more fox. That's a good sign that the yote pop. is down or they have moved on. I sure like to hunt them too. Any of you western guys want to kill a few out your way, let me know. I'm ready for a vacation. If you have a WM i could do some alignment on it! (only if we harvest a yote or two) ;D I don't know if "harvest" is the right word. It sure seems like the most polically correct! :D
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

timberbeast

Lots of "cy-yoots",  as my daddy called 'em up on the land in Mich.  I love to hear them sing at night.  Trapped a few,  in younger days,  but have never seen one which wasn't in a trap.  I'm sure that they saw me plenty of times,  though!  They seem to depend mostly on the partridge and snowshoe hare population.  The bunnies are down,  right now,  and the partridge are just starting to come back.  They seem to have a cycle,  my Pop said it was seven years when they "peak",  and then go into decline.  Mother Nature seems to keep good books.

Where the heck is my axe???

Norm

The coyote population here is doing well, at night you can hear them singing. They are hard on the lambs when they are young, some people put a lama out with their herds to help protect them. They get blamed for the pheasant decline but I really think the coons are harder on the nesting birds than they are. I keep the .223 handy in the fall thru spring when the crops are out. I seldom see them on our place but there are plenty here.

Minnesota_boy

Our conservation department denied that we had cougars here too, until one was seen on the tape of a security camera scanning the parking lot of an apartment house in one of the suburbs of the Twin Cities.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

johncinquo

There was just something on TLC or one of those about them and how almost every city has some sort of population.  My friends in CA watched as their neighbors weineer dog was carried off one afternoon from their porch.  ya wanna talk about instant transformation from Greenie to pro-hunting/trapping!  IN SD We used to shoot prairie dogs all day, go get an early supper, and then come back and wait for the yotes to come for theirs.  We could usually bag a few of them, collect the $15 for the hide, and pay for the ammo for the day and have a great time.  Now I am in MI and try to keep the ones near me down because I spend too much money raising birds to turn loose to have them eaten.  Though I do agree the coons destroy more nests than yotes eat live birds.   I usually go out in February when the hides are nice and thick and can call them in with a wounded rabbit call.  The amatuer taxidermy guy near me loves it for practice and some day I may need a favor mounted.  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!