iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood for turkey calls from Ohio

Started by doc henderson, February 05, 2020, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

My buddy who makes calls made me a few from Aunt Judy's spalted oak tree,  he asked me if I could ID this wood.  I told him I could, if I could take some pics, and post it on the forum.  what do you all think.

this is the raw wood.  extra points if you can tell what kind of bike seat it is setting on!

some end grain.

some wood finished as a turkey call!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

It was sent to him and he, or the guy who sent it, thought oak.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nathan Harp

doc henderson

WDH

Definitely a hickory.  Could be pecan, which is a hickory.  Medullary rays not visible and prominent, so it is not oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

Not familiar to me.. I do sell some sycamore to flute and harp makers, but out here in the desert---not too many ducks ! :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

doc henderson

Autocar

No body has said it but I believe it is a Black Oak. Sap wood all ready getting soft, sun rays in the cut off. For sure red oak family. 
Bill

WDH

I believe that your sun rays are cracks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Yep your right but not cracks till the bark falls off and the sun hits it over time or it drys from the end grain on a cut off.
Bill

kantuckid

Definite no on Catalpa. I lean toward hickory but the wood surface under the bark has an oak look to it?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Nathan Harp

Bark looks Catalpa
crotch figure looks Catalpa
Color and ring porosity looks Catalpa
Weight can be deceiving on a round piece that isn't dried out, so by weight alone I wouldn't rule out Catalpa.
Fast growth in early years also points to Catalpa.

How do you so easily rule out Catalpa KendtuckyID?

No resemblance to Oak that I can see in the wood or bark, doesn't look like Hickory bark either.
Hickory would have more distinctive heartwood/sapwood and more diffusely porous growth rings wouldn't it.
I think a hardness test is in order.  Can a fingernail dent it?  

Maybe Siberian Psss Elm, 
I can make out what might be wavy lines in the growth rings.
The Burl Bump also resembles growth like you would see on elm.

WDH

I am still certain that it is hickory from the ring pattern. 

kantuckid

I am not a "know it all"!
I ruled out Catalpa based on making items from the wood for many, many hours from many pieces of that wood. Most of that work was hand carving bowls which is pretty intimate experience wood wise.
I'll call it my "visual educated guess", how's that?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!