iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large wood threading kits.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 06, 2011, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've only been able to find wood threading kits up to 1 1/2". Was wondering if anybody has seen anything larger? I was looking at a very old workbench today, and the face vise had at least a 2 1/4", maybe a 2 1/2" screw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Dave, do you have a tap to match your screw? How many thread per inch (tpi)? You can make an insert for a jig to fit a piece of 2-1/4 dowel, or whatever the diameter of the screw has to be. Find a piece of round teflon or delrin about 4" long and 2-1/2" wide (or 1/2" diameter more than the screw). Drill a hole for on inch deep, dead centre endwise on a press, 1/4" smaller than the screw/dowel.  I assume the threads are 1/8" deep, so double that is 1/4". Now tap it. Then on the opposite end drill out the hole to fit the matching diameter of the dowel wood. On the end you tapped out measure the depth of the thread into the teflon and drill a pilot hole 90 ° for a 1/4" shank router bit (3 fluted 60° carbide bit). This should be just past the threads you tapped and only through the shell of of the teflon into the void you drilled out earlier. This is called an insert for all intended purposes. Seat this into a block of hardwood so the top is flush between the insert and the hardwood block.

See this Lee Valley page to get a better idea and figure out a way to mount the router. The thread on the one end sets the feed rate. The router is running while you turn the dowel to cut the threads. You'll need a 3 fluted bit like C (1/4" shank, 60°, 3 fluted).

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43000&p=41791

More than one way to skin a cat. I don't think a drill press has the RPMS to cut the wood smooth.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

I have never been able to find a newly manufactured tap and die that are the same size as the screw and nut you would typically find on and old bench, like you said the old ones are commonly at least 2 1/4" or slightly bigger. But , if you have an old screw and nut of the size you want to reproduce it is a fairly simple matter to use those two pieces to re-create a new nut and screw. I have pictures of a setup to do just that which a friend of mine had made for the leg vices around his shop. I also have a real nice big old screw and nut sitting out in my shop that are waiting for me to do the same thing with :D :D

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Thanks for that PBS link. I've only read his books, never seen him in action. A bit of a character, eh? :D I might try making a screwbox. I can also chuck the blank in a friends big Rockford lathe, I'll have to ask how low he can go on thread count with the thread cutting attachment. I think they usually go down to 2 or 4.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Probably 2.

Roy does more performing than working. Get's one of then legs heisted up like a typical "jack leg". All that's lacking is a fiddle when he's going on one of those little 5 second jigs. :D :D

Larry

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 08, 2011, 08:10:30 PM
I can also chuck the blank in a friends big Rockford lathe, I'll have to ask how low he can go on thread count with the thread cutting attachment. I think they usually go down to 2 or 4.

Learn how to chase threads and ya can do it on a wood lathe.  Any pitch you desire.  Do a google search for instructions and also how to make the thread chasing tools.

I learned years ago from an article in FWW (I think).  Its not hard and I'm no turner.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

The German Woodworking in America was a great episode as well. Pole lathes, workbenches, giant wood screw tap that looked like a 2" T-auger, :D and even a Schnitzelbank. 8)

Larry, thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a wood lathe either. At least not until my treadle lathe project is done, which I haven't started yet. ;D I'm trying to get the shaving horse done now, so I don't have a huge backlog of partially completed projects.

northwoods1

In that woodwrights shop episode he doesn't show how to make a large screw like you were talking about, like in the 2-1/4" - 2 -1/2" range, it is a smaller screw and he says to just go buy the tap... and when you have the tap you can make the screwbox, or did I miss something?

If you just want to make one or two screws and nuts of that size and can not buy a tap you can do it using and old screw and nut of the size you want to reproduce. You use the old screw mounted in the old nut fixed onto a jig , and attach the old screw to the new blank which allows you to turn the new screw blank past a cutterhead like Roy made to reproduce the same pitch. Same thing goes for the nut you do not have to have a tap.

Dave Shepard

I measured the screw in that face vise today. It's a 2 1/4"-2. I'm probably going to make a tap and thread box set for this size screw. It seems that there would be some demand for proper sized vise screws.

Does beech rive?

tyb525

I'd think Beech would work great.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

northwoods1

This looks like a good deal

http://www.lakeerietoolworks.com/shop/category_3/Wood-Vise-Screw-Components.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

otherwise I have seen old screwboxes and taps on ebay that might be another option for you just in case your not looking for another project. I believe there are several other manufacturers from which you can get the large wood screws and all types of components for wooden vices and workbenches in general.

fiddle1

saw a project  like this in maine.

it went something like using a 
threaded floor jack to make a screw tap and die.

......involved cutting relief flutes with
the dremel cut off disc into the threads for chip clearance.

and cutting the internal part of the hole with relief cuts also 

if i remember a fairly large diameter screw and hole was possible
but took a great deal of muscle power.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 10, 2011, 06:31:32 PM
Does beech rive?

The grain tends to be slightly interlocking, so it's tough and splintery when riving radially. However, once you get it split into eighths or sixteenths (depending on the diameter of the log) it splits beautifully in the tangential direction. I was just splitting a 20" beech last night for plane bodies. It should work great for your vise screw :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

Thanks. Do you have any books on plane making? I'd like to try it some day. I'm looking for a couple of nice beech logs to cut into parts for different projects, like work benches or planes.

pitsaw

there are a few books an videos out there on making planes. I have made a few infill planes a bunch of wooden planes an just completed a small set of hollow/round side escapment planes. you'll need a few good floats an some nice air dyed hard wood, beech/ebony/hornbeam an boxwood is what manly use.Ron hock make a simple smoothing plane kit search hock plane or look in woodcraft I think they started to sell them.Jason

Dodgy Loner

Here's a link for some videos about making and using traditional molding planes. Never have watched them, but it'll be a few years before my beech is dry :)

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I thought you said one time a fella down there with wood, would find it dry enough in a short while to put in service? ;) ;)

Dan_Shade

Dave, I know this is old, did you have any luck with this?

@Dave Shepard 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dave Shepard

I have not pursued this any further. 

Thank You Sponsors!