iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bright yellow wood, what is it?

Started by otherguy, November 09, 2017, 07:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherguy

What type of wood is this, I have not seen wood this bright of yellow before?

LeeB

Osage, also known as hedge. Mulberry is also that color.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

otherguy

Quote from: LeeB on November 09, 2017, 07:17:15 AM
Osage, also known as hedge. Mulberry is also that color.

I thought Hedge too, but I have never seen hedge that straight before, It was probably 20 feet straight..  Wouldn't there be hedge balls around it? 

TKehl

Second what Lee said.

Not all Hedge will produce the balls.

Are there any thorns on it?  If not, it may be Mulberry, but the bark sure looks like Hedge to me.

That tall and straight would have been great bow staves, handles, or lumber. 

BTW, the color fades over time to a dark honey kind of color.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

runmca

I've seen some black locust that looks like that too.

Magicman

The very thin sapwood also indicates Black Locust.  There should have been short thorns on the upper branches, and it also should split fairly easily.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

otherguy

Quote from: Magicman on November 09, 2017, 08:21:15 AM
The very thin sapwood also indicates Black Locust.  There should have been short thorns on the upper branches, and it also should split fairly easily.

Are those leave black locust type?  all the locust tree leaves i looked up show multiple leaves in a line, smaller and just rounded.

Magicman

Oh no.  If those leaves came from that tree, then scratch Black Locust.  I actually wondered about the leaves but then forgot to ask.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

bo dark, or bois de arc if you will. hedge if your in Kansas. if you are going to saw it , it saws better when green. tough stuff when you let the log dry.

Magicman

Yup, the leaves seem to fit Osage Orange.  Looks like you made firewood out of it?

Roxie

Welcome to the forum.  I like your username.  In the future, when we blame the otherguy, we'll know where to look.   :D

If you are going to use that Osage Orange for firewood, you might want to be careful to load only one piece at a time of it mixed with other wood into a wood stove or fireplace because it burns very hot. 

Say when

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

ToddsPoint

Around here, seeing osage with straight grain in the bark like you have means the tree grew down in the bottoms.  Osage that grows on the prairie twists and the bark lines go in a spiral.  Male trees have no fruit, and some trees have no thorns.  I can't think of a better wood for heavy duty applications.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

DPatton

Ditto on makes good mallets. I also like it for my chisel handles.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Al_Smith

Osage orange in a wide hedge row or tight in a grove will be straight. Makes the best fence posts . Out in the open they can be crooked as a dogs' hind leg .Mulberry can be male or female .Green cut is has sticky white sap that is about like Elmers glue .Good firewood though

bluthum

Osage is a prime wood working wood. Especially prized these days by duck call makers.

Back in the day i used it for hand mirrors, boxes, stools and any small turnings that sold well at art/craft shows.

My only problem was getting decent lengths of sound boards.

I read once that the original old growth trees we mostly used up for side walks in Chicago, I wonder what these trees looked like?

Al_Smith

It's a tough wood .At one it was used for the decking on machinery trailers that hauled tracked equipment .Plus it's nearly rot proof .Untreated fence posts last for a very long time .

Thank You Sponsors!