iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Osage Orange???

Started by ReggieT, December 04, 2017, 02:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Does this look like hedge/osage orange to anybody?
Interior color kinda, but bark looks diffrent...trying to decide if it's worth the hour ride...

ToddsPoint

Almost looks like two different kinds of wood in the pile.  The little log in front on the left definitely looks like osage bark but the log in the upper left looks like it has smooth bark.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

TKehl

What surprises me is driving that far for Hedge.  Literally tons of it is dozed into a pile and burned locally.  May see a few fence posts cut from it, but that's about it.

Please tell me what I'm missing as it looks like a pile of firewood to me.   ???
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

bluthum

An 8' decent log of osage is a good score. It just doesn't always grow in a usable log form.

ReggieT

Quote from: TKehl on December 04, 2017, 02:59:11 PM
What surprises me is driving that far for Hedge.  Literally tons of it is dozed into a pile and burned locally.  May see a few fence posts cut from it, but that's about it.

Please tell me what I'm missing as it looks like a pile of firewood to me.   ???
There's the misnomer...around here there literally "no tons" of hedge dozed into burn piles or available unless on private property.
You're not missing anything, other than I tend to be picky about my firewood. ::)

ReggieT

Some of it puts in the mind of some different types of pear we cut down once...hmmm

Al_Smith

We literally cut thousands of osage orange for fence posts on my grandmothers farm .In a fence row those things grown as a hedge row will stop a 2000 pound holstein bull with romantic intentions .I used to laugh.The bull wasn't amused .

TKehl

Well, if it's Mulberry, it's a close cousin to Hedge and will burn well.  Not as good as Hedge, Hickory, or either Locust, but better than Oak.

http://worldforestindustries.com/forest-biofuel/firewood/firewood-btu-ratings/

LeeB

Don't burn it in an open fireplace. Pops like crazy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!