iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Miller Wide Belt Sander

Started by srt, October 01, 2008, 02:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

Just a couple days after we've been talking about drum sanders, I got a call.  A friend of a friend has a about 15 year old Miller Woodworking Machinery (Quilcene Washington) 24-S WBS for sale.  The story is he used lightly in his second career as a furniture maker.  I've looked at the machine, and its appearance agrees with what he tells me. 

Unfortunately, Miller doesn't appear to be in business anymore.  It's a no bells/whistles machine 5 Horse single phase. main motor, fractional horse feed motor.  All adjustments are manual.  Used 25X60 belt. 

I can buy this for a song.  In fact, I'll probably make a little money if you don't count my time and I sell the old Grizzly drum sander it will be replacing.

Anyone want to educate me on this machine, and what I might expect out of it in comparison with my Grizzly 24" double drum sander?  Is it a step up, or just sideways?  I have a couple NOS 7.5 Horse 3 phase motors and could very likely swap out the 5 horse main motor, but bearings etc. may give me a concern.

Ironwood

I have no idea on this unit. Good luck

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Grawulf

srt,
With an all manual machine, the tracking for the belt gets adjusted a lot.......you run material on one side of the machine and the belt heats up and it'll run sideways - one direction or the other. The more expensive machines with electronic tracking are much less frustrating. It would do the job for you, but I'm not sure it would be a step up. I prefer the drum over a manual wide belt.  Devan

Grawulf

srt

Thanks for the response.  I spent a good half hour googling that sander yesterday every which way I could figure.  Then you find what appears to be a new one on fleabay.  How 'bout that!

Doesn't look like much of an upgrade, except maybe the belt changes are easier than my grizzly, which is a pain, but you get used to it.

The add did answer the 7.5 Horse question. 

Since the machine doesn't appear to have a platten, the way the sandpaper meets the wood appears to be exactly the same as with a drum sander.  The difference, I believe would be that the paper gets some more time to cool off and unload before it comes in contact with the wood again. 

Is it logical that this machine with a single belt being pushed w/7.5 Horses would be a much more aggressive machine than my dual drum (rough paper on the first drum, smooth paper on the second drum) being pushed by 5 horses?

Grawulf

Another thing that I've seen happen with the wbs's is where the belt is joined, even though it's at a diagonal, it'll create a slight dimple on your material and as fast as they're traveling, it's a fairly constant thing down the board. I still would end up stroke sanding the material after coming out of the machine. I'm still sold on the drum sander but maybe I haven't
had my hands on a good wbs either........ :-\ I know the grizzlys used to hold their paper on with tape on both ends and they finally went to a spring clip like the Deltas'. How is yours held on?

srt

It followed me home yesterday.    We'll see how well it works in a few days.

logwalker

Srt, I have had the same machine for a couple years and get along pretty well with it. Thay have a unique tracking mechanism. Do you have the manual? I think they are out of business. Get it running and tell me what your problems are if any. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

srt

Thanks for the reply Joe.  No, I don't have a manual.  Is there any way I could talk you out of a copy of your manual?  I haven't gotten it set up yet - should happen in the next week or so though.

bombalina

Is it possible for you guys, to share some pictures of the machine and its tracking mechanisms?

Trobin

Hello everyone, I just found this forum and would like to share what I know about the Miller Wide Belt sander. I have used mine for more then 20+ years. I am still learning about its problems, lurks, tweaks and so on. The tracking on this machine unique and works for the most part. I have replaced the sanding drum exile 3 times and am now working on having a new top drum made. I have also replaced the tracking idler drum. In fact was hoping some of you might of done this, as I am not sure of its specs. (size and diameter) Also. I do have an Owners Guide, if anyone needs a copy? Just let me know. Any questions. please ask.

Picture of 24" sander
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/32136/MillerWideBelt.jpg

Thank You Sponsors!